C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this intake fit under my hood??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:18 AM
MAZ73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this intake fit under my hood??

Has anyone used a Weiand X-Celerator intake under a stock hood?? Acquired this intake and was thinking of using it, but the intake height numbers seem a little too tall. Would be using a Edelbrock carb. Drop base air cleaner? Any thoughts/experiences would be apprecieated before I find out the hard way.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Entropy
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I've heard of guys using RPM air gaps under the stock hood of a small block by using the old LT-1 (2" drop) base air filter and then running a small element, slightly over 2". What kind of engine is in your car? Is it a bone stock L48 or have you done some mods? That X-celerator is a good intake for a high rpm car, and with the right cam and heads, it will scream. On a bone stock car, you're going to kill the low rpm torque.

trw
Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

I fit a victor under my stock hood. the 73 is taller than 68-72.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 PM
MAZ73
Instructor

I purchased the car with little information on the engine. The guy I bought it from said it wasn't the original engine (?) he owned it for 2 years, 4th owner. I a have receipt which shows a engine rebuild (.30 over) and cam (?) purchase. All is sketchy from there. Can't really see the numbers on the block to tell if it's the original engine or not. Previous owner said it had a aluminum intake and holley on it when he got it. He switched it to a stock intake and quadrajet. Engine runs strong, just wish I had particulars on it. Planned on running the divider plate in the intake to help with the low end torque issue. Need to try and get one from holley/weiand first.

Last edited by MAZ73; 10-14-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch if you put a drop bottom on your air cleaner and a low air cleaner as I had a problem that there was not enough room for air and I was actually chokeing the engine. With filter only had about 1/4 inch above float bowl for air. Changed to a different stile and car was much happier. Was getting black smoke after tuning with low power. Like running with choke closed. Just something to watch for. My $0.02

Get notified of new replies

To Will this intake fit under my hood??

Quick Reply: Will this intake fit under my hood??