C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running the Engine Out of the Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:22 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Running the Engine Out of the Car ?

I am almost done with the rebuild after about 5 months at it and I would like to be able to run the car while it is out so that I can easily check for leaks and fix what is needed before installing. I'm just looking for some advice and pictures on how to do something like this.
Also , all I have are the stock exhaust manifolds so I will be jarring the neighborhood on this special day. Has anyone ran some scrap pipes to muffle the sound somewhat?
I remember when Lars posted some pics on running it out of the car but they no longer come up in the archives. Anyone else ?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rather than spend time/money building a rig for this...why not try to find a place to dyno test/tune it?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:49 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

...or by the tiime you fabricate and rig everything up you could have installed it in the car and removed it a couple of times. I wouldn't waste the time and energy, any leaks can be fixed in the car. If it blows up you got big problems anyway
Old 10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I run all my engines on a test run stand because I'm often not the one who ends up installing the engine in the car - I do engines for other people, and I like to be sure that the engine is leak-free and ready to run when it's picked up. If I were just doing an engine for myself, I wouldn't hesitate just dropping it in the car and running it - like Motorhead says, it's so easy to install and remove that it's not worth the time to build, set up, and install it in a run stand for a one-shot deal.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:55 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used engine once from a junkyard. They had a bunch of them in a wharehouse on pallets.

They took it down with a forklift and fired it up right there on the wharehouse floor. Open exhaust no coolant!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For you guys that do this often I am sure that it is easy for you to drop it in and out. However I am not so advanced and I don't even own the cherry picker- rented last time...

BTW- I called a local dyno shop and they want $500 to hook it up and test it...

Get notified of new replies

To Running the Engine Out of the Car ?

Quick Reply: Running the Engine Out of the Car ?