C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlins - what else is new?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 04:45 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Electrical Gremlins - what else is new?

My 69 convertible is very close to returning to road status for the first time since '86.I've replaced just about everything in the car including the wiring harnesses (all of em). The problem I'm having is that the parking lights (with turn signal indicators) are coming on when I hit the brakes. I recognize this is probably a ground problem, but I can't figure out where to look. Any ideas?

Also, the car seems to always grag the battery down when it sits for a couple days with the key off. This may, or may not, be related, but both problems are driving me nuts!

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:03 AM
72greg
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Re: Electrical Gremlins - what else is new? (69L71)

Wow, you've got a tiger by the tail!

I am no expert, and I haven't done this, but, I would guess that if the entire electrical system is 100% correct, that there should be 0 current draw across the terminals of the battery. If somethings drawing current, you should be able to put a meter on the battery and see a current draw.

To de-bug the problem, I'd pull fuses until the draw disappears - that will at least tell you what part of the circuit is awry.

I hope this helps, let us know what you find out!

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - what else is new?