C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC delco or Gabriel Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 12:17 AM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC delco or Gabriel Shocks?

I am debating between the AC Delco Race tec Shocks and THe Gabriel Pro Rider gas shocks. The delcos are $10 more each then the gabriels. I just want to smooth out the ride on my car so I am not looking for KYB's or Koni's ect. Any opinions on the two brands? Also I can not find AC Delco Shocks for sale anywhere but in catalogues.Thanks in advance.
BTW should I get poly shock bushings?-TK
Old 08-08-2001, 12:27 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: AC delco or Gabriel Shocks? (TJKirby82CE)

I had Gabrials and now have AC delcos. The Gabriels were terrible and the AC's have been on there for five years now and I stll have an excellant ride!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:04 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I just put Gabriel's on a few days ago. It improved my ride increditably. But then again I was replacing the ORIGINAL SHOCKS!!! Yes, thats right, the old one had be on there for 24 years now. I held them verticle and the rod just fell into the shock. So you can imagine what my ride was like before I put the Gabriels on. I'm guessing that the AC's will give you a better ride but I'm a 16 year old on a budget and I was to ancious to wait for shipping on the AC's :D
Old 08-08-2001, 02:20 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AC delco or Gabriel Shocks? (jonny4523)

I, too, need to change my shocks. I haven't even had a chance to look at them, but is installation something anybody can do. I mean to say that I have changed shocks and oil on my other vehicles, so I am not a complete idiot, but can the average Joe get to the shocks without the use of a lift and all the tools you might need on some more difficult installations.
Old 08-08-2001, 04:02 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Re: AC delco or Gabriel Shocks? (Rich's75)

The front ones were cake. I have no doubt in my mind that you could do those. The rear ones are another story. I had to buy a heating torch because the top mounting bolt had froze with corosion inside the metal tube that runs through the bushing. We had to heat it up pretty hot and then used a brass hammer and a small wedge to pry it out enough where we could get a pry bar in there. I think we bent the top mount (part welded to the frame) a little but it straightened back up when I installed and tightened the new shock. Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:05 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: AC delco or Gabriel Shocks? (jonny4523)

I (and a 4 foot cheater) replaced the original rear shocks on my '79 with Gabriels a few months ago. They helped alot, but the car wanted to plow when I turned. Getting new Gabriels this week for the front with the rest of my rebuild. Should cure the problem. Once you get the original ones off, use new bolts and its an easy upgrade for the future. I'd say go with Gabriel and if your not happy, swap 'em later.

:cheers:
Old 08-08-2001, 11:51 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

You have several options for a smooth riding shock. You could try the KYB GR2's (these are not the stiff ones). There's also monroe sens-a-trac. I'd take a look at what your local autoparts store has. I bought a set of monroes at pep boys for $18 each (gas charged). I'll eventually replace them with some better handling shocks, but they have been pretty darn good sofar.

Old 08-08-2001, 11:15 PM
Dwaynes69BB
Burning Brakes

Location: I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for ya.

I have recently put the Delco Reactecs on my '69 and I am very happy with them.
They made a great difference in the ride...not to stiff but still have somewhat of a performance feel.
Then again a couple of strong rubberbands would probably have been better than the old shocks that I took off. :D
The Delcos also closely match (apperance wise) the original shocks availible for my car in 69.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:29 AM
81Batman
Instructor

Default Re: AC delco or Gabriel Shocks? (Dwaynes69BB)

I am putting in the Monroe Sens-a trak shocks. Loved them in every other vehicle tried them in. Only one dealer here had them and honestly didn't know anything about them so I didn't order them. Everybody else carried Monroe. The Sens-a-trak was the only one that was even somewhat stiff. I wanted to smooth out the ride some as I drive it everyday weather permitting. Price was $20 each, both front and rear. I didn't have any problem unbolting mine with just a ratchet and wrench. You should not have any real problems.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:33 PM
DADS8T2
Instructor

TJ,
I've been looking at the Delco's for my 82 also . . . just so you know--the online parts houses have them. I think I checked Wrenchead.com and Carparts or Parts Express.
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To AC delco or Gabriel Shocks?

Quick Reply: AC delco or Gabriel Shocks?