C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amazing discoveries

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 02:09 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Amazing discoveries

Just had one of those "wow I never knew that was there" discoveries tonight...kinda like the day I was cruising down the highway wondering what that tab was for on the horn button (scary way to find out I had a telescopic wheel).

This evening I was cleaning up the '75 for tomorrows Vette Fest. Few days ago I bought a ton of spare tools to keep in the car in case of an emergency and decided now is a good time to put them away. I picked the compartment behind the passanger seat. Lifted the cover and after staring at it for a few seconds I thought to myself that compartment looked sooooo much larger from under the car. Poked around at that felt bottom and noticed it was loose. Pulled it up and wow! The spare tire jack and lug wrench I never knew I had!

Now here's the best part. Since I bought this car almost 2 years ago I've had an annoying battery drain. Almost always after sitting 4 days the battery would be dead. Of course the first thing I checked was all the lights. The center glove compartment light never worked so I ruled that out.

When I pulled that bottom panel off I noticed the light was on. Open the center door and the light goes off! Somehow the switch is broken internally making it do the opposite of what it should. :crazy:

All at once I found:
Extra storage space
My jack and lug wrench
and my battery drain problem.

I just love it when things come together :D

George
Old 08-18-2001, 04:22 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Amazing discoveries (vairxpert)

Congrats !!!

Hope you never have to use that jack -- it's a real Pain In The A $$ !!!!
Old 08-19-2001, 01:41 AM
bn7035
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get an owners manual one of these days. I sure would hate to accidently find that ejection button. :bs

I love these little smilies :seeya I think I would be a little cautios using the newest one :bb
Old 08-19-2001, 09:47 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTEI just love it when things come together :D [/QUOTE]

Enjoy it while it lasts. ;) These vettes are notorious for doing the exact opposite. You must have sacrificed something to the Corvette Gods which they liked. :D :yesnod:
Old 08-19-2001, 10:11 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

While cruising yesterday ... yup, with the top down, I could hear a rattling sound from just starting to roll to about 10 mph. I sounded like a spring or something inside a hubcap, rolling around until enough speed was generated to have it stick to the side of the hub cap. At first I thought it might be a spring that might have come loose in the trim ring. It sounds like it is coming from the right rear. When I got home, I pulled the trim ring and center cap and found nothing. I'm going to pull the front right today just to make sure it isn't coming from there.

Looking at someones restoration project of the right rear disc set up, I'm wondering if something might be loose inside the emergency brake area? Is that possible? Any other ideas?

One other thing, I see something that looks like a big fuel pump or blower mounted on the backside of the luggage area in front of the gas tank. At first I thought it was the fan for my astro ventilation. Even though I have astro ventilation etched on my side windows, I don't have the vents in the back of the luggage compartment. There was a thread on this and it was stated convertible don't have astro ventilation. Any ideas?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:40 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Amazing discoveries (Juliet)

[QUOTEI just love it when things come together :D

Enjoy it while it lasts. ;) These vettes are notorious for doing the exact opposite. You must have sacrificed something to the Corvette Gods which they liked. :D :yesnod:
Oh I knew it wouldn't last and it didn't. On the way home from the show yesterday I noticed the car was handling squirrley. Pulled into the garage and when I hit the brakes I heard a loud clunk from the front end. Seems one of the upper control arm bushings vanished.

Just now got in from the garage after a 2 hour marathon of wishing bad things upon the stupid morons that did a **** poor job of designing the C3. Get the entire upper control arm loose and ready to pull out only to find it won't clear the inner radiator shroud. If the genius engineers had put an extra ½" dimple in the shroud it would have pulled right out.

Few choices.
Pull the shroud which looks like it involves removing the radiator too (along with removing the hood).
Be a major bubba and cut a hole in the shroud.
Be a minor bubba and cut ½" off the front control arm stud with good 'ol mr. sawsall.

Ended up going the minor bubba route. I don't think anyone will ever notice ;)

I'll worry about the drivers side tomorrow

George
Old 08-20-2001, 07:13 AM
Tomi72
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Amazing discoveries (The Wanderer)

One other thing, I see something that looks like a big fuel pump or blower mounted on the backside of the luggage area in front of the gas tank.
That sounds a lot like the rear window defroster blower. I have one in my coupe and from the assembly instruction manual I remember it was available for convertibles also. It's on the drivers side on mine. Sorry I don't remember details like where the outlet was on convertibles.

rgds Tomi
Old 08-20-2001, 08:58 AM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

vair - next time (if there is one), just knock out the control arm bolt from the engine compartment side to the wheelwell side (they are held in by a knurled section of the bolt). It's always a good idea to replace them anyway so they don't round off in the hole.

Old 08-20-2001, 10:47 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Amazing discoveries (Tex71BB)

When I first got my 82, I discovered this small black plastic thing sticking down on the lower edge of the dash right under the steering column. Tried twisting it - nothing. Tired pulling and pushing and left and right - nothing. Tried twisting again real hard - almost enough to break it. Then, somehow, pulled it down and - voila - headlights popped up. Can't believe I almost broke that thing off. :conehead

Get notified of new replies

To Amazing discoveries

Quick Reply: Amazing discoveries