C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 inch exhaust

Old 08-23-2001, 12:09 AM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 3 inch exhaust

I will be needing to replace the current crappy exhaust system I have now with a new one very soon. Anybody running a 3 inch? I will be using the 80 style exhaust manifold when I rebuild the engine. I have to maintain smog controls and the Y-pipe. Is it worth the extra money? Also, are any members running the Raven Muffler on their car? I happened to see it at a local muffler shop and wondered it anyone had experience with it. The exhaust upgrade will be in conjunction with a motor upgrade. Cam, heads, intake, etc.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:20 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3 inch exhaust (sd pacecar)

You will stand little to gain by going 3" tubes with 80's style manifolds. If you need to be emissions legal, scrap the y, and go with true duals with dual cats and custom bent 2.25 aluminized pipe.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:25 AM
Double Aught
Race Director

Default Re: 3 inch exhaust (Jvette73)

You will stand little to gain by going 3" tubes with 80's style manifolds. If you need to be emissions legal, scrap the y, and go with true duals with dual cats and custom bent 2.25 aluminized pipe.
The problem of dual cats is that Federal law says the automobile has to be equipped with the pollution controls that were on there from the factory. Dual exhuast with dual cats was not a factory option until 92. That wont work for me out here in **** California.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:45 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

I diddnt know the laws were so stringent there. I can see why yur thinkin 3" thru the y. Well..thoise idiots what do they know? Tru duals with dual cats is just as clean. There has to be a way around it.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:35 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I am looking at using the 1980-82 True Duals from Zips. It uses two 2 1/2" pipes all the way back.. But, instead of running a pipe down each side of the car, the kit has the left pipe turn and head for the passenger side behind the transmission. From there the pipes run parallel until the y-pipe area and then they split again. But has no provision for a cat.

Since I have to run a Cat. I am taking this kit, and using two Flowmaster Y connectors ($40 each :eek: :eek: ) The Flowmaster Y is two parallel 2 1/2 pipes smoothly blending into 1 3" pipe. Right before the Cat, both pipes will go into the connector, then into a 3" cat, then through another Flowmaster connector, which will then split the 3" exit of the cat. into two 2 1/2" pipes again.
It is a little bit of custom work but it should be awsome. At the end, I am going to try running no mufflers and use some of the Targa tips I am getting from another CForum member.

Send me an e-mail if you have any questions. I can then get part numbers and maybe draw up a picture.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:38 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: 3 inch exhaust (BSeery)

By the way, I am doing this with the 1980 manifolds that are on my car. I will later be going to headers when I get enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:39 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jvette73,

Yes, in California, don't confuse the legislature with facts, they Knows what they Knows!
Everytime I read a post like sd pacecar's, I am so thankful my '69 is exempt from cats, egr, closed air cleaner elements, and other mandates.

Chuck
Old 08-23-2001, 10:56 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I diddnt know the laws were so stringent there. I can see why yur thinkin 3" thru the y. Well..thoise idiots what do they know? Tru duals with dual cats is just as clean. There has to be a way around it.
Actually, I believe it is federal law that prohibits the changing of the emissions control configuration (including exhaust). One of the "emissions controls" was that the exhaust system was restrictive. The state only decides how strictly they will enforce the federal code. i.e. here in Florida there is no emissions testing or inspections, so you can get away with pretty much anything. That does not mean that running true duals without cats is legal. It just means that you can get away with it. :D

P.S. I actually overheard two guys talking here in Florida a couple of days ago about how a local Midas muffler shop wouldn't install a dual exhaust system on their car because it was against the law (The car did not come with duals originally). It's against the law, but it's just whether your state will let you get away with it. Even though Florida will let you get away with it, some muffler shops won't do it because they are technically breaking federal law.

[Modified by 79MakoL82, 1:20 PM 8/23/2001]
Old 08-23-2001, 03:02 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of these days, when I either have my engine rebuilt or buy a new one, I hope I can put true duals (even with dual cats) on my car. But, for now, I was too chicken to try it, figuring that I'd get rejected at the inspection shop on the visual (even if you create a cleaner system it doesn't matter, how's that for sticking to the letter of the law to the stooopidest degree ).

Anyway, for what it's worth, I finally went with a 2-1-2 system. I have the stock manifolds (2"). Off each of those there is a short (maybe 4") pipe that expands out to 2-1/2". The two 2-1/2" pipes join at a 3" collecter in front of the CC. It's a hi-flow CC with a 3" inlet and two 2-1/2" outlets. Then it's 2-1/2" for each pipe all the way back to my MagnaFlow mufflers. So, I guess the CC and the muffler pipes technically make up the rear Y. The muffler shop said that they wouldn't pass true duals with dual CCs, but they were fine with this configuration.

I'm sure that I could have found a place to pass true duals, but I just didn't want to take the risk. I've asked about this setup and several sources (including Corvette Fever) have said that it should be good for up to 400HP. Probably something that I'll never exceed, but it still just doesn't FEEL right, not having true dual exhaust on a Corvette.

It sounds good. I think I should have picked Flowmasters because I like LOUD and the MagnaFlows are quite a bit quieter. I have no first hand experience with Raven, but I heard people on this forum speak well of them; maybe some will chime in.

I have some pics posted if you're interested.

http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corvette/exhaust1.jpg
http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corvette/exhaust2.jpg
http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corvette/exhaust3.jpg
http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corvette/exhaust4.jpg

Good Luck & let us know what you decide.

[Modified by jerryp58, 2:05 PM 8/23/2001]
Old 08-23-2001, 03:11 PM
love to drive
Instructor

Default Re: 3 inch exhaust (jerryp58)

Ravin mufflers sound great...they even make my stock '77 L-48 sound like a beast. I'd say they're equivalent to, if not better than flowmaster. my $0.0195
Old 08-23-2001, 06:53 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

More adventures in "The Land of the Free". :lol: :bs :lol:
Old 08-23-2001, 09:45 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Over in engine mods yesterday, Beach Bum had an interesting topic about dual to single to dual in his 11 sec C4 and his current set up is Calif. legal. I wonder though if your rebuild can exhale through the stock manifolds, would you gain with a expensive exhaust?
Old 08-23-2001, 11:39 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Default Re: 3 inch exhaust (7Bob3)

------------------------------------------
Over in engine mods yesterday, Beach Bum had an interesting topic about dual to single to dual in his 11 sec C4 and his current set up is Calif. legal. I wonder though if your rebuild can exhale through the stock manifolds, would you gain with a expensive exhaust?
----------------------------------------------
I would tend to think any improvement over the factory set-up would be worth the money and effort, especially concerning the exhaust system. IMHO

love to drive- Are you saying the Ravins are louder than the Flowmasters or do they have a better/different sound?

Get notified of new replies

To 3 inch exhaust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 inch exhaust