C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for TOM73

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 05:33 PM
johnnyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for TOM73

I was curious as to the good and bad points of the small block and the bigblock cars you have. I have always liked the bigblock cars better, because of the look of those huge rocker covers. As far as drivability, which do you prefer ??
Old 08-23-2001, 05:56 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Question for TOM73 (johnnyc)

The late big blocks are basically a low power engine as far as big blocks go. So driveability with them are real good. If you have an original numbers car then the performance is not that great (275hp). Now if you don't mind modifying them you can get some real good performance out of them. My big block drives every bit as good as the small block. And no overheating problems. In Texas summer, stop and go traffic, with A/C, it runs below 220. On the highway drops to just above 190.

Now the small block L82 is a real kick in the pants. Mine has automatic and A/C. Rolling along and kick the trans down and hold on for dear life. The L82 is just a hydraulic lifter version of the old LT1. Has the same cam as the former 350/350 engine.

Just depends upon your personal taste. I got the small block first. Since it was the L82/auto/conv I thought it would be cool to get an LS4/4-speed/coupe. They make a great pair. The wife prefers to drive the L82, more because of it being a convertible then anything.

I think that the bottom line is that the Corvette is a very impracticable car, so just go with your heart.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 4:31 PM 8/23/2001]
Old 08-23-2001, 10:54 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Question for TOM73 (johnnyc)

I'm not Tom, But I'll give you my input on the LS-4 cars. Around town driving they are very liveable and I would imagine you could say that for most of the mild BB's such as the LS-4's and LS-5's, now the solid lifter, square port big blocks are a little different breed compared to the hydralic oval port BB's, never had the pleasure of owning one of these beasts, but hope to one day, but I'd imagine they wouldn't exactly be the ideal thing to have in city traffic. My LS-4 isn't much worse then any other V8 4spd car in traffic and it keeps it's cool very well, and the gobs of low end torque are a deffinite bonus while driving around town, albeit it comes at the price of stopping for gas very very often. Now If I was looking at a vette to drive on a fairly frequent basis, I wouldn't have what I have, but for a weekend toy it's great and more then I would normally have hoped, I do truly enjoy the car and the exhaust note from a big block is heavenly.

:cheers:

Pat Kunz

Get notified of new replies

To Question for TOM73

Quick Reply: Question for TOM73