C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum reservoir/Bumper support removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:42 PM
strokervette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
That's not very strong, but better than nothing.
With the custom rad support mounts I made I am still able to push on the nose and compress the suspension. Even though this is not a desirable thing to do, I wanted to make sure if I hit any bumps that the frontend doesn't collapse. It's sturdier than you think. The frontend is a lot lighter without all that metal in there. For the back I just removed the entire bumper altogether and I'm getting a fiberglass bumper cover so that it stays solid back there. The rear bumber weighed liked 60 lbs as well. Yeah, I know, if I get hit it will be disastrous but I will take my chances. It's not going to be a daily driver.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by strokervette
With the custom rad support mounts I made I am still able to push on the nose and compress the suspension. Even though this is not a desirable thing to do, I wanted to make sure if I hit any bumps that the frontend doesn't collapse. It's sturdier than you think. The frontend is a lot lighter without all that metal in there. For the back I just removed the entire bumper altogether and I'm getting a fiberglass bumper cover so that it stays solid back there. The rear bumber weighed liked 60 lbs as well. Yeah, I know, if I get hit it will be disastrous but I will take my chances. It's not going to be a daily driver.
60lbs!!! Wow! Are you sure? I guess that's next to go. Do you have to go to a fiberglass bumper. I think with the rubber bumpers, I have a 2 1/2 mph bumper. With fiberglass, you can't bump into anything.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:26 AM
strokervette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the rear wasn't as heavy as the front but it's up there. I weighed myself, then held the part and the diff. is the weight of the part. Yeah, there is no room for error with a fiberglass bumper cover but that's the only way to lose that much weight and still have the thing look like a Corvette. Alot of the bumper is to help shape the stock urethene cover over it. The fiberglass is already stiff and won't distort over bumps or during highway driving. Plus you don't need the original taillight mounts that are bolted to the rear bumper, you can just drill your own holes and mount it directly to the fiberglass cover.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I had my muffler guy cut off the brackets from the air reservoir. I picked them up this afternoon, and bolted everything back together. The front bumper support is now connected to the frame and radiator support in four places. It is very solid. But when I look down into the area where the reservoir was, I am just amazed at how open the area appears now. Cooling has got to be enhanced, because there is so little in front of the radiator now. I'm finished with this mod, and I highly recommend it if you are serious about losing weight.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
I had my muffler guy cut off the brackets from the air reservoir.
Now, if we can just figure out what to do with two vacuum tanks without any brackets. Mine is still taking up space in my garage.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette Gator
Now, if we can just figure out what to do with two vacuum tanks without any brackets. Mine is still taking up space in my garage.
Left mine at the muffler shop as scrap. My old exhuast is still there too, in case I want to remove these Flowmaster 50s.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:00 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I read somewhere in here that it's not needed, but I can't find the thread. Taking it out saves a ton. I already rerouted my vacuum lines to operate my headlights without it. That was too easy. I guess getting this thing out is the hard part. I'll work on it some more tonight.
It weighs 39 pounds and you need it to maintain the integrity of the front end. I removed mine, acid dipped it and drilled it full of holes and got it down to 19 pounds easily and reinstalled it. Also there is a large rubber and steel backing plate for the liscense plate. Removing these saved alot of weight.
I would NOT remove it and leave the front end unsupported.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
If you leave the outer bracket and front metal bracket there will still be some support left.

I do agree with you that people who are not going for a racing car should leave it in place.

I am slowly converting my car to a race/street car.

Bee Jay, What are your goals? It doesn't make sense to remove all these components unless you intend to get serious about racing.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drilled everything. The front end has overspray from spraying the new fiberglass front bumper. I did clean it up after this shot.
Sorry
Old 10-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
It weighs 39 pounds and you need it to maintain the integrity of the front end. I removed mine, acid dipped it and drilled it full of holes and got it down to 19 pounds easily and reinstalled it. Also there is a large rubber and steel backing plate for the liscense plate. Removing these saved alot of weight.
Norval, I think there is plenty of front end support after removing the tank. Take a look at your holy picture above. The large frame extension brackets to the bumper structure on each side is still there. Missing in your picture are the two large brackets in the middle that tie the front bumper structure to the air tank and radiator support. By removing the bracket from the bottom of the air tank, I used it to tie those two brackets to the radiator support. I did the strokervette test last night. I sat on the front bumper, and it compressed the suspension, and the front end didn't give at all. I do beleive that I lost my 5 mph protection though.
Edit: Norval, I just looked at your picture again. Where is your radiator support? That piece is key to keeping my front end solid. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 10-03-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

If you leave the outer bracket and front metal bracket there will still be some support left.

I do agree with you that people who are not going for a racing car should leave it in place.

I am slowly converting my car to a race/street car.

Bee Jay, What are your goals? It doesn't make sense to remove all these components unless you intend to get serious about racing.
I only race autocross about twice a year, but hotrodding is a hobby. Losing weight is just as productive as adding horsepower. My goals? A kickass perfomance car, that I can take the wife to dinner in occasionally. I want for my Vette 500hp, 20mpg, 12 second quarters, 3200lbs weight, and most important, good looks . My wife doesn't ride with me on the Harley anymore, but she will take a spin in the Vette, and enjoy it. I need the car to stay enjoyable. Thanks to this forum and you guys, I get a lot of ideas and knowledge here. I never knew that removing this air tank would save 40lbs till I read it here. I learned here that I could replace the iron crossmember and rear end cover with a post 80 aluminum bat wing. This forum rocks.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

I never knew that removing this air tank would save 40lbs till I read it here. I learned here that I could replace the iron crossmember and rear end cover with a post 80 aluminum bat wing. This forum rocks.
Sometime i feel i'm leading some of you astray with my ideas. Just want you to understand that you are accepting some level of safety compromise when taking all that structural steel out.

But its not like these cars are that safe to begin with. Definitely safer than riding a motorcycle.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Sometime i feel i'm leading some of you astray with my ideas. Just want you to understand that you are accepting some level of safety compromise when taking all that structural steel out.

But its not like these cars are that safe to begin with. Definitely safer than riding a motorcycle.
I'm an Aerospace Engineer, and I was once the Chief of Systems Safety for my orgnanization in the Air Force. I'm not gonna do anything stupid or unsafe. (maybe I will go faster than the speed limit once or twice). I got the idea here, looked into it, and did it. I don't need 5 mph bumpers. The 68-72 Sharks don't have 5 mph bumpers. I'm not going to hold you liable. Hey, I'm happy. I lost 40lbs without having to buy an expensive aluminum block. Things I've done so far: dumped the cast iron exhaust manifolds for headers, replaced the Delco starter with a light weight gear reduction starter, removed the spare tire, replaced the iron heads with alumnum, switched from the steel rear spring to a fiberglass one. I'm looking for more weight reduction. The batwing is next. What else can I do to lose weight while keeping the car streetable?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am slowly converting my car to a rusty street car.
There...fixed it for you
Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
There...fixed it for you
Rust is a modification no one else utilizes. Its my competitive advantage.

Bee, heres my lightening list.

Corvette weight reduction.

1. Removed front vacuum bar 31 pounds
2. Removed rubber plate behind bumper 13 pounds
3. Cutout steel behind license 5 pounds
4. Replaced brass radiator 31 pounds with aluminum 19 pounds net 12 pounds.
5. Aluminum heads save 44 pounds.
6. Remove A/C compressor 50 pounds
7. Aluminum intake 15 pounds
8. Aluminum driveshaft 10 pounds
9. Remove spare 40 pounds
10. Aluminum water pump 8 pounds
11. Aluminum calipers 40 pounds
12. Fiberglass spring 30 pounds
13. Seats 30 pounds
14. Aluminum wheels 20 pounds
15. Tube exhaust manifolds 15 pounds
16. Stainless flex exhaust 15 pounds
17. Remove catalitic converter 15 pounds
18. Lighter mufflers 10 pounds
19. No air pump 10 pounds
20. No T Tops 25 pounds

Possibilities

1. Aluminum block 100 pounds
2. V6 aluminum engine 200 pounds
3. remove radio 12 pounds
4. Aluminum rear end 57 pounds
5. Aluminum half shafts 10 pounds
6. hack up hood 10 pounds
7. Light weight sway bar 15 pounds

Last edited by turtlevette; 10-03-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Rust is a modification no one else utilizes. Its my competitive advantage.

Bee, heres my lightening list.

Corvette weight reduction.

1. Removed front vacuum bar 31 pounds
2. Removed rubber plate behind bumper 13 pounds
3. Cutout steel behind license 5 pounds
4. Replaced brass radiator 31 pounds with aluminum 19 pounds net 12 pounds.
5. Aluminum heads save 44 pounds.
6. Remove A/C compressor 50 pounds
7. Aluminum intake 15 pounds
8. Aluminum driveshaft 10 pounds
9. Remove spare 40 pounds
10. Aluminum water pump 8 pounds
11. Aluminum calipers 40 pounds
12. Fiberglass spring 30 pounds
13. Seats 30 pounds
14. Aluminum wheels 20 pounds
15. Tube exhaust manifolds 15 pounds
16. Stainless flex exhaust 15 pounds
17. Remove catalitic converter 15 pounds
18. Lighter mufflers 10 pounds
19. No air pump 10 pounds
20. No T Tops 25 pounds

Possibilities

1. Aluminum block 100 pounds
2. V6 aluminum engine 200 pounds
3. remove radio 12 pounds
4. Aluminum rear end 57 pounds
5. Aluminum half shafts 10 pounds
6. hack up hood 10 pounds
7. Light weight sway bar 15 pounds
I was confused by your #2, but I think I just did #1 & #2 in one step. I did #5,#6 #9, #10,#11, #12, #15, #17, and #19 already. I also switched to a lighter gear drive starter.
How much does your car weigh?
I did not know switching radiators would lose so much weight. I got more work to do. I wonder if anyone on the forum has built a 383 aluminum engine. I wish I was rich enough to do that.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 10-03-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by strokervette
I removed everything in the front there and bolted the rad support directly to the frame extentions using custom made collars.

I know this is incredibly old stroke but your pictures are no longer available. Any chance you still have them?

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum reservoir/Bumper support removal questions

Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

I would like to see them as well.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 PM
10Seconds918
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If someone still has these pics or similae, it would help, im taking mine out too as I convert to the 73 style front end.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Wow! This is an old thread. But here is another one:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570560887

You can find most of my old posts by typing "Bee Jay" in the search box.
The car is now 3000lbs, and I drive it at least twice a month, but I don't post much or lurk anymore. I also drive a C4 94 Vette now too. I spend my spare time on Facebook now. I think the Corvette forum was our social medium before facebook was even invented. I made lots of friends here. Hello everybody. I guess I disappeared like Norval Wilhelm did. But I drop by occasionally.
Bee Jay

Quick Reply: Vacuum reservoir/Bumper support removal questions