C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting/Body Work Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Painting/Body Work Help

Looking for info on what type of plastic the front and rear of the C3 is? Yes they are factory. The local paint supplier was not sure either.

I need to strip both parts, and do some minor repair. Any support in these areas? Is there any where on the forum or other sites to aid with body work?

Thanks in advance.

tt
Old 11-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Register on this forum.

http://hotrodders.com/

They have a wealth of knowledge in ALL areas of automotive repair and customization. I've found it to be VERY helpful when I needed a tough question answered.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:30 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Bumper strippers are available at most auto paint stores, and SEM brand is the most popular. However, I have found they are hit and miss as to how well they work. SEM will not remove OEM paint and most that I researched a few years ago were the same including talking to the tech supports. They also state that they are resistant to harming urethane so in other words you need to try them to find out. But they will remove any repaints, not OEM though.

If the paint on your bumpers is not peeling you might be able to refinish them without stripping. Before you invest time and money, how brittle from age is the urethane? If you bend a piece of the bumper at the bottom in a hidden area, will the piece break off? If not the bumpers still have some life left in them, if they are brittle they may be ready to start cracking on their own soon.

Transtar makes a water base primer that you can spray over the OEM finish and they also make repair putty. The primer is sandable and you can build it up and sand similar to body panels. I've use the primer on new and used bumpers before with very good results, but I have not tried the flexible putty.

http://www.tat-co.com/version2/produ...p?product=1231

http://www.tat-co.com/version2/produ...product=1407-C
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good links man. I'll write those down too...
Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 PM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks guys!

Yes, some moran, previous owner actually used a dang bristle brush to try and cover some minor damage and painted the WHOLE thing and has made a mess of the whole thing. And the sad thing is, both parts are not in bad shape except for the peeling, flaking, paint. The underlying OEM paint looks good. A little cosmetic damage but thats it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

Terry
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ahoover
Bumper strippers are available at most auto paint stores, and SEM brand is the most popular. However, I have found they are hit and miss as to how well they work. SEM will not remove OEM paint and most that I researched a few years ago were the same including talking to the tech supports. They also state that they are resistant to harming urethane so in other words you need to try them to find out. But they will remove any repaints, not OEM though.

If the paint on your bumpers is not peeling you might be able to refinish them without stripping. Before you invest time and money, how brittle from age is the urethane? If you bend a piece of the bumper at the bottom in a hidden area, will the piece break off? If not the bumpers still have some life left in them, if they are brittle they may be ready to start cracking on their own soon.

Transtar makes a water base primer that you can spray over the OEM finish and they also make repair putty. The primer is sandable and you can build it up and sand similar to body panels. I've use the primer on new and used bumpers before with very good results, but I have not tried the flexible putty.

http://www.tat-co.com/version2/produ...p?product=1231

http://www.tat-co.com/version2/produ...product=1407-C
Sweet, great info and links!

tt
Old 11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

So the SEM or equivalent body supply bumper stripper I mentioned should remove the "moron" paint and other "repaints", then you'll see what you have to work with and whether you can salvage them. I forgot to mention, most automotive and harware store paint strippers will melt, swell, or soften the urethane. So beware if you try them.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:18 PM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ahoover
So the SEM or equivalent body supply bumper stripper I mentioned should remove the "moron" paint and other "repaints", then you'll see what you have to work with and whether you can salvage them. I forgot to mention, most automotive and harware store paint strippers will melt, swell, or soften the urethane. So beware if you try them.
Many thanks,

I sure wish we had a spell checker on here "moran", (I may be dumb but I ain't stupid.......

Get notified of new replies

To Painting/Body Work Help

Quick Reply: Painting/Body Work Help