C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 corvette collector

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:41 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 collector

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Do you have stock exhaust? Catalytic converter in place??? If not you need a heated O2.

Bare with me but it sounds like everything thing is working and thats the problem. Your 02 is sensing too much oxygen and signalling to dump more fuel OR that new O2 is bad. 02 is cheap..I would consider trying another one. By the way I tried 6 EGR valves before I got one that wasn't bad.

If you are not getting codes its not sensor related. Fuel delivery seems good and strong (you said new pump) so its not the fuel system.

My guess is its vaccum related. You have a new engine...right??? The bolts on the throttle plate and TBI's tend to loosen allowing more air into the engine. Try tightening the bolts...throttle plate and TBI's. I wound not mess with the TPS...if it was set right to begin with then its still fine.

Make sure a hose hasn't been knocked off somewhere. Whats you idle cold? Whats your idle hot???

It could also be the diaphram in the rear TBI it holds the fuel pressure regulator. Easy to replace...and inexpensive.

Jim
Jim I do have a completely stock system, The car is in place but one note it was a real pita to get the old O2 sensor out of the cat or just be fore the cat. I had to rethread it before I could get the new one in. I had to use heat to get the old one out. I have been thinking about the regulator also it does seem to make sense. I will check this next and let you know. It idles fine when it was hot and it idles fine at first start up but once you advance the throttle it really loads up.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:00 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by warrior2291
Jim I do have a completely stock system, The car is in place but one note it was a real pita to get the old O2 sensor out of the cat or just be fore the cat. I had to rethread it before I could get the new one in. I had to use heat to get the old one out. I have been thinking about the regulator also it does seem to make sense. I will check this next and let you know. It idles fine when it was hot and it idles fine at first start up but once you advance the throttle it really loads up.
The regulator is a sealed unit. There is no adjustment. I've never heard of the spring going and causing excess fuel but I have heard of the diaphram going and causing fuel to dump. I would check the TBI bolts first.

Jim
Old 01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

have you put a ohm meter on the tps .they do go bad .you said that it starts up ok then when you give it a little gas it loads up ,ohm the tps .the procedure is on the cross-fire forum .
Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 PM
80vettefan
Instructor

i drove an 83 Z-28 for about 5 years in the mid to late 80's. the one thing i learned about cross-fire injection is that it is very sensitive to fuel pressure. about once a year it would start running very bad ,over fuel, and back fire through the injectors. i would replace the fuel filter and it would run like a brand new car for another year.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Default 82collector

Originally Posted by terry82
have you put a ohm meter on the tps .they do go bad .you said that it starts up ok then when you give it a little gas it loads up ,ohm the tps .the procedure is on the cross-fire forum .
Not yet but I have found some problems at this point I found the fuel regulator diaphram is coming apart. Its very hard and it is not clicking any more for fuel dump. it needs to be replaced. I am waitng for rebuild kits so I can rebuild the Fuel regulators. I am also rebuilding the injector as well . I ordered new injectore kits . so once i get that problem solved i will start checking the system...
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Not yet but I have found some problems at this point I found the fuel regulator diaphram is coming apart. Its very hard and it is not clicking any more for fuel dump. it needs to be replaced. I am waitng for rebuild kits so I can rebuild the Fuel regulators. I am also rebuilding the injector as well . I ordered new injectore kits . so once i get that problem solved i will start checking the system...
I think your on the right track. Keep us posted. Bird
Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Another footnote. A mechanic friend once told me alcohol eats the seals in injectors. Don't know how true it was/is now.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Another footnote. A mechanic friend once told me alcohol eats the seals in injectors. Don't know how true it was/is now.
Been reading this interesting thread for the solution. When I read this FYI about alcohol. I was told the same thing, also Lukoil gas stations cut the their gas w/alcohol to keek costs down. I used three tanks of this gas in my DD and my fuel pump went bad. My mechanic said the alcohol in the gas eat the plastic seals in the pump. Just something to think about. I don't use lukoil gas any more or any type of gas made from corn. Unless your car is setup for this type of gas your in for trouble.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Default 82collector

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I think your on the right track. Keep us posted. Bird
Just a little note I got the parts i needed today for the injectors and for the fuel regulators. hope to insattl this week and have it up and running god willing!!!!!!

A little note to pass on. I had changed the parts that I found bad as I said in the previous notes, The spray pattern has diminished because of the fuel regulators fouling out the injectors. the diaphram is falling apart.. just a note to bring everyone up to speed.

I will let you know how it goes after I change these items out.Thanks to all of you for your consideration and help.you all have been a great help to me.......

P.S. I use only Sunaco regular in mine!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Default 82collector

Originally Posted by Jims79
Been reading this interesting thread for the solution. When I read this FYI about alcohol. I was told the same thing, also Lukoil gas stations cut the their gas w/alcohol to keek costs down. I used three tanks of this gas in my DD and my fuel pump went bad. My mechanic said the alcohol in the gas eat the plastic seals in the pump. Just something to think about. I don't use lukoil gas any more or any type of gas made from corn. Unless your car is setup for this type of gas your in for trouble.
Hello everyone, well lets bring everyone up to sped. I have rebuilt both throttle bodys and rebuilt both fuel regulators. The car runs about 75% great untill you crack the throttle. Then is dumps fuel, so I am back to my originial problem. I am really stuck on this one. We have replaced as i have siad in earlier threads the coolant temp sensor, the EGR valve ( was not working). I have replaced the ECM. I have replaced the o2 sensor. I am not reading any bad codes and I have no check engine light. basically I am convinced the mechanically everything appears to be correct under the hood
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Maybe time to mess with the TPS. You can check it. Do you know how? I can't remember of hand which wires you put the meter to...maybe you already know. But here is what you do insert a staightened paper clip into the plugs for each of the appropriate two wires. turn the ignition to on. Attach the meter...should start at .525 plus or minus .07....manually move the arm on the TPS to full acelleration...should climb smoothly to 4.5 volts.....should see no jumping around...

Jim
Old 02-07-2007, 12:48 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Default 82collector

Sir thank you for the heads up I think you are reading my mind. Thats excatly what I am going to do. I have ordered a TPS as this was the originial one on the car. and I figured since I was doing that I would replace the MAP sensore as well. I check the fuel pump and put a pressure gages on ti and it is at 12 PSI so that is working fine also. Will continue to use my helms manuel and see whats up with the TPS.

Thanks again........
Old 02-12-2007, 12:40 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Default 82 collector

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Maybe time to mess with the TPS. You can check it. Do you know how? I can't remember of hand which wires you put the meter to...maybe you already know. But here is what you do insert a staightened paper clip into the plugs for each of the appropriate two wires. turn the ignition to on. Attach the meter...should start at .525 plus or minus .07....manually move the arm on the TPS to full acelleration...should climb smoothly to 4.5 volts.....should see no jumping around...

Jim
Jim wanted to say thank you to you I got the book and put a new MAP and New TPS she is finially up and Strong running agin.I need to tweak the TPS a bit but other than that she is road ready and a killer once agin. Thank you to all who helped me.

Steve F
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim wanted to say thank you to you I got the book and put a new MAP and New TPS she is finially up and Strong running agin.I need to tweak the TPS a bit but other than that she is road ready and a killer once agin. Thank you to all who helped me.

Steve F
You got to love crossfire! Jim has walked me through several problems on my car with much success. Im running rich right now and I cant figure out why. The only thing I have left to check is exhaust leaks....I think.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Default 82collector

Originally Posted by bluesilver82
You got to love crossfire! Jim has walked me through several problems on my car with much success. Im running rich right now and I cant figure out why. The only thing I have left to check is exhaust leaks....I think.
I kknow how you feel , have you tried putting a tester on it to see if you have any codes?? You to could have a TPS going bad .just a thought.....
Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM
copter
Drifting

One quick question.Did you get your hatch hinges from Steve?Thats where I got mine.He does nice work.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Steve F
Anytime Steve. I happy to hear you got it running better.Our vehicles are unique. Sharing experiences is the best way to educate each other and keep them running.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 82 corvette collector

Old 02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bluesilver82

I think you have a minor air leak somewhere. Time to start a new thread? Did you every have new bushings put in the throttle shafts? Is it running rich at idle as well? Just a suggestion if it is...start it up...wait til you get the rich running condition...shut it down...take the cleaner off...use some puddy or something and rap it around the throttle shafts on the outside of the TBI's (passengerside)...block any leak if one exists there...put the cleaner back on and start the car...wait a few minutes..is it still running rich??? Don't give it gas. You don't want to suck the puddy in.

Puddy may not be the best thing to use. It may melt but I couldn't think of anything else to suggest maybe you can.

You know one of the guys over on the crossfire forum will put bushings in your TBI's for $70 including shipping...right??

Jim
Old 02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
copter
Drifting

I think this is why I bought a new take off CF setup.Complete with manifold,injectors all connectors.Everything thats mounted on the intake.Has less than 1000 miles on it.Got it from a friend whos dad had the car brand new and went to a carb.It wasn't a CE just a 82,a nice 82 red/red.I'm thinking I should have got the computer but it's to late
Old 02-13-2007, 09:09 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Copter,

You should notice a difference with the new stuff. Less then a 1000 miles...you are lucky.

You can still get the computers. I think Napa has them for $170. I had mine replaced last year.

I found that the old sensors don't work as well as they age but they only throw a code when they stop working completely. I've replaced all mine. I got a deal on the injectors. Some guy on Ebay had a rack of originals...unused....I bought 2 for $60.

Everyone was saying throttle shafts...go check throttle shafts...so I picked up a pair of used TBI's for $25. I replaced the lowers with the $25 ones...it made a difference. So I know I need bushings in the originals.

Jim

Quick Reply: 82 corvette collector