C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Removal in 75

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:56 PM
75BrownC3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seat Removal in 75

I need to remove the drivers seat because the back is locked into position and can't move it. I also need to get a new seat since the back of it needs alot of work. What is the best way to get these seats out?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM
iree75
Instructor

Originally Posted by 75BrownC3
I need to remove the drivers seat because the back is locked into position and can't move it. I also need to get a new seat since the back of it needs alot of work. What is the best way to get these seats out?
There are just 4 bolts that hold the seat in - one in each corner ;-). Hopefully the seat is not stuck in the all the way back position, which will make it a bit tight to get at the rear two bolts.. not much more to it than that. My seats are out right now.. I'll go look at them and see how the adjusting lever hooks up.. you may be able to reach you hand under there to get to adjust forward..

-Frank
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The outer rear bolt has a nut that needs a wrench from under the car to get loose.
Hope this helps.
Terry
Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 AM
75BrownC3
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. It is starting to look like a 2 person job. One under the car and the other on top the car. The seat does go forward and backward but the back support is what is stuck. I also need to get the whole seat recovered.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Three of the nuts will not turn as they are welded to a plate. the back outside corner may have a nut that you can hold while loosening the bolt. One man 5 minute job.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 75BrownC3
I also need to get a new seat since the back of it needs alot of work.
all Vette vendors carry just about anything you need to repair a seat. No need for "NEW" unless the frames are rusted through or badly cracked in numerous places. Get em out...and take em apart.
Eddie
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Spot Rot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Suggestion 1: apply penetrant or oil to the exposed bolt threads under the car. On most cars, they'll be rusty and you don't want to break the weld nuts loose.

Suggestion 2: wrap duct tape or such around the corners of the track before you remove the seats -- or be very careful. The tracks will chip the paint on the doors jams with any contact.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
TortureTest
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Two things: In my 78 I had new foam and the very best "pleather" installed, cost me 700.00 cdn funds at a local uphostery shop.
SHOP your quote, The guy who did mine was less than half of the other quotes !
Now the seats, both seats one man 5 min.

Move seat all the way forward, 1 bolt each side, move seat all the way back 2 more. That simple, takes as long as removing spark plugs. (there should be no welded bolts)
If ceased even wd40 will be enuf.
Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 AM
vettlibito
Instructor

well if your curious ill be selling my seats from my 76' here shortly.. i am just waiting on my corbeau A4's to come in...they should be here in 5 days
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Did ya get the seats out? Wanted to chime in as I just finished recovering and rebuilding both seats in my 1970. The seat back will not move forward b/c the latch is most likely broken at the top or just frozen.

Once you get the seat out, push on the latch at the top... does it move? If it does and the seat back will not move forward, you will need to take the upright part of the seat apart. The latch system needs to be accessed.... UNDERNEATH the cover. It is actually it's own individual assembly in a track. Four little bolts hold it in place. However, you will not be able to slip it by the cover easily...

Let me know if you need a full walk through... it is not difficult but not exactly for a beginner, which I am guessing b/c you inquired about the seat bolts.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
75BrownC3
Instructor

I haven't had a chance to take them out yet. By the time I get home from work, it is after 6:30 then make something to eat then work on customers computers for the next few hours. About the only time I have to work on anything is on the weekends. I hope I can get to it this weekend since I have to take a couple of trees down in my back yard. That is why it takes me forever to get something done.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Garrddogg
Cruising

Default enough time??

So ah did ya find time to get them out yet?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Garrddogg
...So ah did ya find time to get them out yet?...
Let's hope so. This thread is from 2007.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Removal in 75

Quick Reply: Seat Removal in 75