C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quadrajet question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:32 PM
mint79
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quadrajet question

Hi guys, i have a mint 79 L-48 that does not seem to open the secondaries all the time.Choke is opening all the way when hot,
lock-out lever is in the open position,but it seem to take several seconds or forever when passing.Is this common with the 195 hp
350.full pedal off the line and it will catch 2nd still without any
secondary roar and then finally you hear the secondaries open.
secondary spring is set where if you just touch the air valve with
the engine off it will fall open.Any comments? Thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 05:44 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,938 Likes on 1,940 Posts

First, if the airvalve falls open upon the lightest touch, it's too loose. You need to have 3/4 turn windup up the airvalve spring.

Next, check to see if you are getting full secondary throttle opening. Most C3s never get wide open throttle. Have someone press the gas pedal to the floor and observe the secondary throttle shaft and linkage on the driver's side of the carb. With the pedal to the floor, verify that you cannot open the secondary throttle further with your finger. If you can, you either need to remove your floor mat or bend your gas pedal arm.

Finally, check your choke pulloff. Suck it retracted using a long hose and then release the suction. It should fully extend within 2 seconds.

If all items check out okay, your secondaries are working right.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:48 PM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's face it, the stock '79 L-48 has about as much kick as a Honda Civic. (or less)

If your air valve is set properly and you've checked the items previously mentioned, then I'd also take a look at the other components of the system. Remove your distributor cap, and rotor and check to be sure your advance counter weights aren't stuck. (it happened to me) Lube them with some WD-40 to be sure they are completely free.

Then make sure your timing is set properly.

Get notified of new replies

To quadrajet question

Quick Reply: quadrajet question