C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to electric choke

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Dante7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to electric choke

Hey I was given this quadrajet with an electric choke setup is it possible to take parts off of it and convert mine to an electic choke since what i have now doesn't work... Here is a link to the carb I recieved I still have the original still on my 75

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2192...79550164dzYYKM
Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante7
Hey I was given this quadrajet with an electric choke setup is it possible to take parts off of it and convert mine to an electic choke since what i have now doesn't work... Here is a link to the carb I recieved I still have the original still on my 75

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2192...79550164dzYYKM

If your carb was not originally electric choke I do not believe it can be converted.

Why not just have your old carb serviced and the choke fixed?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure about a quadrajet but I was able to convert my Holley.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

As far as I know, you can change out the outer plastic cover and thats all there is to it.
I think there is something like a little arm inside that is either plastic or metal that can be changed but don't have to.
I have to do it before winter.

Last edited by Tim H; 08-01-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
As far as I know, you can change out the outer plastic cover and thats all there is to it.
I think there is something like a little arm inside that is either plastic or metal that can be changed but don't have to.
I have to do it before winter.
They make conversion kits to do this, so you should be able do it with what you have there. I think all you need to do is make up the wire that goes from the choke to the wiper motor. Keep us posted, I'm going to make this conversion on mine as well.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
ddale1977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...you can convert a Q-Jet to an electric choke.

Below is from an email I received from Lars on the same subject. It may help you.

Edelbrock makes an exact reproduction of the GM 1980-81 Q-Jet electric choke system under their part number 1932. You can get it from Summit Racing under part number EDL-1932 for $33.88.

When installing this, you must remove the round gasket under your existing hot air choke cover, since the gasket will prevent the electric choke from obtaining a ground path. It's also a good idea to put a rubber cap over the forward threaded connection for the hot air tube on the choke housing to prevent dirt from getting into the choke.

Install the electric choke so that the square engagement feature in the bii-metallic spring catches the spring slot in the lever arm inside the housing. Then, rotate the cover so that the notch in the outer edge of the cover aligns with the forward cover attach screw (there is a forward, rear and bottom screw location). This position should make the choke close fully when cold.

You can run the hot wire to the three wire plug on the wiper motor...find the hot wire.

Doug
Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,935 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Any integral choke Q-Jet built 1975 and later can be converted to electric as noted above.

Get notified of new replies

To Converting to electric choke

Quick Reply: Converting to electric choke