C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Coupler (Rag Joint)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 PM
GSPORT96
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Coupler (Rag Joint)

I am changing my 74 road race vette from power steering to manual.
I want to remove the Steering Couple (rag joint) and put a steel
joint in it's place. It seems there is two different sizes from steering shaft and the steering box. Anybody know the sizes of these two shafts? Any ideas who may sell one. Thanks Mike W---
Old 09-22-2007, 03:19 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim Shea, a ex-Corvette steering engineer, commented on this same idea, about a month ago. his point was that it isn't a good idea, because the pasenger compartment moves on it's body mounts, were as the steering column and the steering box are fixed to their respective bases,, the frame and the pass compartment,, making a solid steering coupling the only non flexing point between the two.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Admittedly the flexible coupling doesn't have a lot of "give" to it. But it does allow for limited body to frame motion particularly on vehicles like the C2/C3 where the steering gear is coupled directly to the steering column. The cardon universal joint part has virtually no give in any direction.

I know that several people are using the cardon joint to adapt the Jeep Grand Cherokee gear to the C3 steering column. It seems to be successful. However, I am quite sure that the solid joint allows for quite a bit more loading on the lower bearing and the lower end of the actual steering column jacket than was ever anticipated in the column design.

I wish that there was a flexible coupling with a gear flange that would couple to the GC gear "double D" input shaft. Than I would be able to suggest an alternative.

Jim
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 AM
GSPORT96
Intermediate

Default Rag Joint vs Universal Joint, high speed racing

Thanks for your input. Threw a curve ball at me. I had not thought of that. However it does seem to me that hard road racing (Daytona Speedway for example) it sure would be a lot of stress on a rag joint as well. We are taking some turns at some pretty high speeds. That was the reason I considered a universal joint.

What happened is after 7 years of racing the car, the power steering went out at Road Atlanta in April and I found I like the car better with no power steering better than with.

Thanks for all the help
Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I used on my 74. I've had it on for a number of years now with no problems.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM
GSPORT96
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I ordered one today. Looks good to me.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Genius.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GSPORT96
Thanks for your input. Threw a curve ball at me. I had not thought of that. However it does seem to me that hard road racing (Daytona Speedway for example) it sure would be a lot of stress on a rag joint as well. We are taking some turns at some pretty high speeds. That was the reason I considered a universal joint.

What happened is after 7 years of racing the car, the power steering went out at Road Atlanta in April and I found I like the car better with no power steering better than with.

Thanks for all the help
Hey Jim, what about that Billet joint pro's con's
Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a link to a paper with my thoughts on the flexible steering shaft coupling versus the single cardon universal joint.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...salJoints1.doc
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Coupler (Rag Joint)

Quick Reply: Steering Coupler (Rag Joint)