C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about fan wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
Ok i just got 2 dual fans from a newer taurus and am wondering what relay to buy. I thought about just having one come on when the car is on, and one to a switch , or maybe to a temp relay but where to buy these for a decent price?

Hey, I now have dual fans as well, from a Focus, and I found an easy and cheap way to wire them. I used cheap 40 amp relays from Autozone, and a temp switch from Summit that goes somewhere in the cooling jacket. The Summit switch is a switched ground point. It's open when the engine is cool, and closes the ground when the coolant reaches a certain temp. It acts as the ground for the relay for the second fan so it only creates the ground when hot enough. It works great. The full time fan works good too, and I just used an IGN source, the fuse panel, to trigger that relay so it's on when the car is on. I also used the IGN to trigger the second fan, but without the ground it won't turn on until hot. I would suggest a manual switch in the ground of the full time fan relay, so you can turn it off for testing when you have the IGN on. Here's a diagram I made, and a link to the Summit switch.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 AM
on1wheel01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Durango Boy you are the man, I was actually going to pm you with some ?'s but man u beat me to it. Hopefully I can find a cheaper thermostat on fleabay, does that just screw into the rad?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Slow Mo
Navigator

There is just something wrong about pulling parts off a Ford and putting them on your vette next thing you will post that you put the interior out of a toyota in your vette

Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 AM
on1wheel01
Racer

So my ? about one like this is could I use a ele temp gauge then? Cuz wouldnt this go into the port that the mech gauge goes in. I'm pretty excited about this conversion, lots to do while shes torn down in the garage waiting on new interior and carb
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 AM
on1wheel01
Racer

Originally Posted by Slow Mo
There is just something wrong about pulling parts off a Ford and putting them on your vette next thing you will post that you put the interior out of a toyota in your vette

Lol na actually I just got hella lucky and got new factory seat covers in vinyl for 150 shipped gotta love fleabay . But I was looking at fiero or celica seats, but wanted to stay original
Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 AM
on1wheel01
Racer

Ok well now my problem is the twin fans are a little to big to go straight across the radiator, looks like I am going to have to stagger them one low one high. Or I thought about one in the front as a pusher and one in the rear (engine compartment) as a puller. Watcha think? Now I wish I had gotten one large fan.
Either that or I will try to sell these and go back and get 1 large fan

Last edited by on1wheel01; 06-27-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Slow Mo
Navigator

My suggestion is to do what i did.Buy a set up from Dewitt's,i purchased the rad and fans and it bolted right up no mods needed.If you are just after an electric fan buy the fan kit from them and you will have everything you need to install it,and you won't have modify anything or scrounge around for parts and hope that they work

I have seen several of these junkyard finds installed and well they look just like that, a junkyard find
Old 06-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

So my ? about one like this is could I use a ele temp gauge then? Cuz wouldnt this go into the port that the mech gauge goes in. I'm pretty excited about this conversion, lots to do while shes torn down in the garage waiting on new interior and carb

I have two temp gauges, and that T-stat switch. The stock temp gauge sender is where it's supposed to be in the driver's side head, and I have my mechanical temp gauge sender in the passenger side head. If I didn't have the second temp gauge I could have put the T-stat switch in that port. Since it's taken, I used a port in my intake manifold. If you don't have any of those available you can get a T-stat housing that has a port in it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 AM
68L71
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
on1wheel01
Racer

My suggestion is to do what i did.Buy a set up from Dewitt's,i purchased the rad and fans and it bolted right up no mods needed.If you are just after an electric fan buy the fan kit from them and you will have everything you need to install it,and you won't have modify anything or scrounge around for parts and hope that they work

I have seen several of these junkyard finds installed and well they look just like that, a junkyard find

I would like to do that, but at this point I am not willing to spend that much cash on a set up which one could be fabbed up to work the same. I agree if done improperly it can look like trash, but Done correctly I believe it looks the same. We shall see.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
on1wheel01
Racer

I saw the fitting in the I am thinking about using that one, thanx

Last edited by on1wheel01; 06-27-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Ok well now my problem is the twin fans are a little to big to go straight across the radiator, looks like I am going to have to stagger them one low one high. Or I thought about one in the front as a pusher and one in the rear (engine compartment) as a puller. Watcha think? Now I wish I had gotten one large fan.
Either that or I will try to sell these and go back and get 1 large fan

Try to find a set of Focus fans. It's a dual fan setup, and once the ears are trimmed off of the mounting tabs it fits perfectly between the A-arms.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
on1wheel01
Racer

I found this wiring kit on ebay think it would work ok? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=011

Has the thermostat and every thing
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I found this wiring kit on ebay think it would work ok? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=011

Has the thermostat and every thing

Yeah that'll work for a single fan.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
on1wheel01
Racer

Ok so I would just need to go buy another plain relay kit from auto zone, the ones there came with a thermostat also but it looked like a little probe instead of a screw in type like here, there any diff? and where would the probe go it was a inch or two long. And sorry for the million ?'s

Ok I am looking at the fans they are about the same size as the regular engine mounted fan, I may just try using one and seeing how it does(as I am about broke). Just going to wire it into the ignition so it's always on.

Last edited by on1wheel01; 06-27-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Ok so I would just need to go buy another plain relay kit from auto zone, the ones there came with a thermostat also but it looked like a little probe instead of a screw in type like here, there any diff? and where would the probe go it was a inch or two long. And sorry for the million ?'s

Ok I am looking at the fans they are about the same size as the regular engine mounted fan, I may just try using one and seeing how it does(as I am about broke). Just going to wire it into the ignition so it's always on.

The probe you speak of goes in the fins of the radiator. I personally do not like this approach. Think using engine temp is more useful for when your fan turns on and off, instead of radiator temp.

The one fan will probably not move enough air if it was originally designed to be paired with another fan.

What diameter is the single fan and does it have it's own shroud?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
on1wheel01
Racer

didnt take the shroud it's a 13" give or take a little

Get notified of new replies

To Confused about fan wiring.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

didnt take the shroud it's a 13" give or take a little

Yeah that's a very small fan to be running independently. You'll want to make a shroud for it to cover most of the radiator surface if it's going to be effective at all.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 PM
on1wheel01
Racer

I just got the relay kit off ebay, I am going to purchase another one when I wire everything up, I am on the hunt for focus rans right now, what year model will work any newer style?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
yel76low
Pro

I can't tell from the picture. Does that ebay kit have a threaded manifold probe or is it a radiator probe?

DB, why are you hooking up a MK8 fan? Is this in a different vette?

Quick Reply: Confused about fan wiring.