C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with 700R4 (won't stay in 4th)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 05:50 PM
Bcalc
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by neuroclast
Well thanks guys, that helps a lot. transmissioncenter.net sells a bracket that does the same thing as the cam I think, only it's by itself so I don't have to buy the whole kit. I'll purchase that and see what it does.

I know I'm a newb to autos but I really appreciate the time and patience.

Thanks
-Josh
I know this is an old tread but was wondering if you ever figured out your issue? I have the exact same problem with a 700R4. I have changed the governor, servo, and valve body... I also put the sonnax throttle valve kit in (3/4 throttle). It still goes right back to 4th under very light throttle. It's all transgo parts with makes it automatically lock up in 3rd and 4th hydraulically (electronics deleted). 1st through 3rd lock up works great btw. Thanks!

update: I sat and thought about this issue after posting this. I decided to remove the servo housing with 4th apply piston after measuring housing travel. I had about .2 inches of travel, which is too much (should be .075 - .125). So I added a washer (.08 inches thick) between the E clip and 4th gear apply piston, then reassembled. Took it for a test drive and 4th gear goes in solid and holds like a champ. So getting pin length correct in the servo is a big deal! Hopefully this helps someone one day!

Last edited by Bcalc; 09-03-2023 at 08:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fparkin (09-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Problems with 700R4 (won't stay in 4th)