C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fel-Pro Pan Gasket: Thick or Thin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 AM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dab of RTV is still required at the "tri-corners" where the pan,block, and timing cover meet. Also needed at the rear corners. The molded in end seals still can not be compressed into the corners and need this as a precaution. Just like the stock ones. Surface prep of chromed pans and timing covers can also be a problem but usually a fine wire brush in an air tool can be used to PREP (not gouge) the surfaces.

Some aftermarket pans have a bead running down the length of the pan (block side rails) that is different than stock. This taller bead height is sometimes "designed in" to "bite" into (more load on )the cork better. Well, this can compress the body and split the gasket and cause leaks despite the load limiters (spacers) at each bolt location. This is the main cause of side rail leakage from "pro builders", they never noticed this difference as a cause.

I can tell you from (personal) testing experience that the rubber out last the cork 5:1 in cyclic testing hours from -20 to 270 f (w/hot oil) when installed correctly.

Previous mention of "thick and thin" info is correct. Measuring ALL aftermarket pans (also GM service/hi-perf) is a good precaution prior to purchasing the gasket. Whether the stock replacement or hiperf 1 pc gasket.

Hope this helps,
Later.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GasketDude
A dab of RTV is still required at the "tri-corners" where the pan,block, and timing cover meet. Also needed at the rear corners. The molded in end seals still can not be compressed into the corners and need this as a precaution. Just like the stock ones. Surface prep of chromed pans and timing covers can also be a problem but usually a fine wire brush in an air tool can be used to PREP (not gouge) the surfaces.

Some aftermarket pans have a bead running down the length of the pan (block side rails) that is different than stock. This taller bead height is sometimes "designed in" to "bite" into (more load on )the cork better. Well, this can compress the body and split the gasket and cause leaks despite the load limiters (spacers) at each bolt location. This is the main cause of side rail leakage from "pro builders", they never noticed this difference as a cause.

I can tell you from (personal) testing experience that the rubber out last the cork 5:1 in cyclic testing hours from -20 to 270 f (w/hot oil) when installed correctly.

Previous mention of "thick and thin" info is correct. Measuring ALL aftermarket pans (also GM service/hi-perf) is a good precaution prior to purchasing the gasket. Whether the stock replacement or hiperf 1 pc gasket.

Hope this helps,
Later.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jackson
How's 'bout lighten up? Nobody including me said that anyone did say race ... it's just that usually if someone asks here or at summit they're directed to a race part ... even when it's not needed. And the gasket I recommended often in-stock most local chain stores & less $ than race. If the pan's handly ... by all means measure & check it ... I didn't imply otherwise.

OE '75-up sbc came w/ thick seal pan ... & it's been years since I've seen a new aftermarket pan that used a thin seal.

Just trying to help
Take it easy.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 PM
72 Stingray
Instructor

Re: Leaking Fel-Pro 1-piecers

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I don't buy that unless there is some substantiated evidence. Looking at how both four and one pieces are made, and installed, I cannot fathom how a one piece would leak worse than a four piece.
Here's a poll going on over at the Chevelle forum:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147676

Old 01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 72 Stingray
Here's a poll going on over at the Chevelle forum:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147676

Looks like it was nailed in the first few posts. After market pans, having the ridge, so when it's torqued down...probably too much, it splits or damages the seal.

I have lost no faith in the one piece seal.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you have the standard-stamped steel pan, you must flatten out any distortion on the pan rails, if you want it to seal. Lots of folks overtorque pan rail bolts to get a leak to seal. That "dimples" the pan rail at the bolt head sites. If you don't fix damage like that, it doesn't matter what gasket you use...it WON'T seal.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Looks like it was nailed in the first few posts. After market pans, having the ridge, so when it's torqued down...probably too much, it splits or damages the seal.

I have lost no faith in the one piece seal.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:16 PM
bdcaron
3rd Gear

Default Thanks!!!!

Originally Posted by pws69
Could be either!

Flip the pan upside down on a flat surface. Measure from the flat surface to the center of the front lip.

2 1/4" = Thin Gasket
2 3/8" = Thick Gasket

Excellent advice! Simple easy to measure and understand.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Fel-Pro Pan Gasket: Thick or Thin?