C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Fiber Optics

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
siko123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Fiber Optics

I can't get my rear fiber optics to work. It's hard to believe that they are torn since they are in the same harness as the rear lighting. Is there something I can do to the ends to prove light continuity. Is there a test to make sure they are still connected. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Do you have the center console apart where the fiber cables plug into the bezel? If so, remove a tail light lense and the bulb. Have someone shine a flashlight on the calbe end that is sticking into the tail light. Now look into the end of the cable at the console. It will help if it's dark. If the cable is not broken, you should see the light. Just think of the fiber optics as a tube, you shine light in one end and it comes out the other.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default lights

The plastic unit the fiber optics connect to in the console in front of the emergency brake can be broken easily and not retaining the fiber optics correctly. A new one is available from most of the Corvette parts venders. It is neat to be able to see your lights work with the fiber optics, plus could save you from getting pulled over for no tail light.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Has the vette been painted? The ends in the light housing my have been painted over.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 AM
wattac2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Optics Fibers

Mine (a '69) were painted and broken. I tried to repair them, but found out the fibers had either aged or been damaged and just didn't transmit the light anymore. I replaced all three. I disassembled the cable after removing it and put the new fibers in using the old ends. The new ends provided were not correct.

Andy
Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Unless it has been severely damaged or broken, the light cable is almost NEVER the problem with these things. In fact, a damaged/broken cable can be spliced. The most likely problems have been mentioned already:
1) damaged cable "receiver" in the console such that the light cables aren't properly retained;
2) ends of cables in taillight housings being painted over, dirty, etc. so that they cannot receive light from the bulb;
3) your taillight bulbs don't work [probably not the fault].
Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
siko123
Advanced

Default 69 Fiber Optics

Thanks guys. I will start by removing the ends and shinning a light at the end and see if it transmits. If not I guess replacement is the only way.

Thanks again
Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Consider replacing the fiber optics with LED "spots"
I may do this if I am not happy with the fibre results.
Mark
Old 01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Unless it has been severely damaged or broken, the light cable is almost NEVER the problem with these things. In fact, a damaged/broken cable can be spliced. The most likely problems have been mentioned already:
1) damaged cable "receiver" in the console such that the light cables aren't properly retained;
2) ends of cables in taillight housings being painted over, dirty, etc. so that they cannot receive light from the bulb;
3) your taillight bulbs don't work [probably not the fault].

The exception to this if if the cables are disrupted and fall into the mufflers and are melted. I've seen this at least twice since '76 when I got my '69. Thankfully the problem was on other cars, not mine!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sly vette
Consider replacing the fiber optics with LED "spots"
I may do this if I am not happy with the fibre results.
Mark
UH excuse me, what would the logic be in replacing a system that is MONITORING the actual lamp performance with another lamp system. Your "Idea" wouldn't tell you if the actual lamp was working or not, I guess you don't undestand the logic of the fibre optic system.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
UH excuse me, what would the logic be in replacing a system that is MONITORING the actual lamp performance with another lamp system. Your "Idea" wouldn't tell you if the actual lamp was working or not, I guess you don't undestand the logic of the fibre optic system.
I understand the logic of the system.....I just like to look at pretty lights!!!!
Mark

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Fiber Optics

Quick Reply: 69 Fiber Optics