C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you splice fiber optics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you splice fiber optics?

For some reason Bubba cut the fiber optics for the front of my '70 by the dimmer switch. I hate to be lazy, but can I simply splice the cables with heat shrink (or some other trick) instead of re-running an entire new cable?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There are splice kits available, but you can do it with a razor blade and heat shrink. Make a very sharp square cut and but the ends together.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

You just have to make sure the ends are bound up well, then make very square cuts. I would think that there is some kind of clear epoxy that would be used to make sure the light transfers well. I don't know that heat-shrink tubing would hold well enough, given the harsh environment. If it were me, I'd do an internet search for a splice kit.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:23 AM
bbeck
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like I remember someone talking about a repair kit they got from radioshack at one time... good luck
Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i wouldn't use any epoxy on the ends of the cables. the optical density of the epoxy might simply reflect the light back into the cable. as posted above, make a square cut with a razor blade and butt the two ends together. i'd use a short piece of wire and super glue it to the plastic case of the cable to hold the two ends tightly together, test it, and then heat shrink a wire wrap over it.
jeff
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

More info on the subject:

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/a...&seqNum=9&rl=1
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by Ray Y
For some reason Bubba cut the fiber optics for the front of my '70 by the dimmer switch. I hate to be lazy, but can I simply splice the cables with heat shrink (or some other trick) instead of re-running an entire new cable?
What is the fiber used for? I have been involved in Fiber to the home for Verizon for several years and fiber splicing is very expensive the machine alone is close to 15K and it near impossible to get a perfect splice without the tool.

Can't you just buy a new fiber line?

Sorry to be to blunt, but it may not work. It all depends on how much forgivness you can get away with.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:03 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

The fiber cables just transfer the light from the bulbs to the console. A butt splice will work. You can use 1/8" compression fittings. Just make sure the ends are cut square as stated above.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 AM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by c69vete
The fiber cables just transfer the light from the bulbs to the console. A butt splice will work. You can use 1/8" compression fittings. Just make sure the ends are cut square as stated above.
AHHH if it just light then I agree you should be OK.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

I did my senior project in collage on fiber optics and the effects of splicing. Keep in mind that this is not data we are talking about here so all you need is a good cut on both sides and the ability to keep them as close as possible to each other when making the splice. Another thing I learned when working on my project is that just cutting the fiber is not enough (at least for data) and to clean up the data loss (light loss and scatter) I found that taking a piece of 1000 grit or higher sand paper and polishing the ends in a figure 8 pattern gave the best splice performance. As far as cutting the fiber with a razor blade it is probally OK in this application but we use special one time cutters at work that make a perfect 90 degree cut. I think the shrink wrap method would work good.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along time ago we use to use a special jig that would cut the cables and polish up the end before we would splice it together. Now with the newer style basic just cut the fiber and we put what looks like a buttjoint splice connector on them works good for our high speed data collection. Radio shack does still make a kit and MAD (Mid America) has one also. Good luck.
wro87
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
There are splice kits available, but you can do it with a razor blade and heat shrink. Make a very sharp square cut and but the ends together.
This has worked. Make sure your cut is clean but them together with the heat shrink. If you go with a long piece of heat shrink it will get enough grip that it will hold and you can double the heat shrink over the first and done. Should work well for light transfer. I wouldn't try to glue or epoxy the end together as you will have a loss of light transfer if any at all.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Any fiber optic repair/ splice works poorly at best. IMO

Get a sub-harness
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
polishing the ends in a figure 8 pattern gave the best splice performance.

Thats funny. Its going to be hard to put that figure 8 on the end of that little fiber cable.

Hey folks, its just a light we are talking about here. A butt splice will work fine.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Thats funny. Its going to be hard to put that figure 8 on the end of that little fiber cable.

Hey folks, its just a light we are talking about here. A butt splice will work fine.
It's just light transfer. It might not be quite as bright as a perfect, solid fiber optic filament, but it should work fine. If not, then do the more major repair.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

It's not hard. Place your sand paper on your workbench. Hold fiber optics in hand, place cut end of fiber onto sand paper keeping the end parallel as possible to the sand paper. Now all you have to do is move the fiber optic in a figure 8 pattern a few times. Believe me this works good and increases the light transfer through the splice.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
76 sting
Pro

How about just buying a new one, are they that expensive that you need to work on something the size of a piece or hair?

Get notified of new replies

To Can you splice fiber optics?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 490 Posts

As a worst-case scenario, you could always wire a small 12 volt bulb in parallel with the lamp being monitored and let that shine by your cut fiber end. Maybe a "Bubba" (or ingenious depending on your POV), but this would solve your problem and provide the brightest fiber optic at the termination point.

The fiber optics all worked on my '70, but they were never all that bright and the various monitor point lenses had different intensity depending on whether they were on the straight path or angled path lens.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm going to try splicing and if that doesn't cut it then I will go for a harness replacement. In a good year in my part of the world I have til mid-May to wrap everything up before Winter is dead and the roads are clean, and right now a new firewall insulation pad is my gating constraint...backordered til near the end of January.

A data quality type of connection is an interesting alternative. I have access to mini-lenses and sealing ends at work. Might try a lens to lens butt splice in a sealed connector just for grins since it doesn't need to be data quality connection, and looking at the factory ends it's better than what was available in 1970.

Thanks again guys. I hope your Winter is going great wherever you live!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
i wouldn't use any epoxy on the ends of the cables. the optical density of the epoxy might simply reflect the light back into the cable. as posted above, make a square cut with a razor blade and butt the two ends together. i'd use a short piece of wire and super glue it to the plastic case of the cable to hold the two ends tightly together, test it, and then heat shrink a wire wrap over it.
jeff

Good Advice.

Quick Reply: Can you splice fiber optics?