C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Handguns_101
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Rocker Arms

Hello All

what is the easyest way to set rocker arms? I have one or two ticking. It is on a small block and they are not solid lifters.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:34 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Lots of guys do them without the engine running and turn the engine over by hand.

I like to set them hot and running. Back them off 1 at a time until they really rattle, then tighten them up until they just get quiet, then another 1/8 to 1/4 turn..
Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here ya go.....worked for mine.

Best method I have found.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=116&TopicID=3

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 05-03-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

if you do it tim's way, make sure you get a thin walled socket. it's not too bad a problem with the floppy stockers but any of the good aftermarket rockers will bind on the socket, rough on the engine. but that's the way i prefer to do it too.
of course, if you know which ones are tapping you can always just turn them down a 1/2 turn while cold until the tapping goes away or the idle roughens up.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Handguns_101
Intermediate

Thanks for the help, not sure what one is ticking but i just boutght the car last fall and just getting around to working on it. I did notice that the rocker arms look stock but have rollers on the tips, are these after market or did they make stock ones with rollers? I dont know what was done with the car so I am going through everything i can and making sure it is correct. So I want to readjust all eight rockers. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Those are aftermarket roller/rockers. If a good quality brand, they should be just fine. Just follow the procedure for setting the lifters (assuming they are hydraulics). Take your time...and do one at a time. In short order, you will find which ones are 'ticking' and either resolve it or find there is another problem. If you haven't got enough adjustment for one or two lifters, it could be that your pushrods are just a bit too short.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I like to do it with engine running and warm.start backing (SLOWLY) off on one till it rattles..its easy to tell and hear,you will know when its enough. Slowl turn it back down till rattle stops, about 1 flat at a time,then waiting a few seconds for them to adjust.Once the rattle is gone,I go 1/2 turn more( SLOWLY). The book, I think, calls for one full turn but hotrodders have found 1/2 much better for them. Thats how we did it in the 60s and 70s,still works good today.( jeeze, I just looked where your from.I am a Schneider driver and pass thru there)

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 05-04-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Ghoastrider1.....
I see you in that Huey. I used to catch rides with you guys in Nam. You always scared the s__t out of me. When I hear the popping sound from the engines of those things, I can close my eyes and smell that place.

Ken
Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 AM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimAT
Lots of guys do them without the engine running and turn the engine over by hand.

I like to set them hot and running. Back them off 1 at a time until they really rattle, then tighten them up until they just get quiet, then another 1/8 to 1/4 turn..
That's how I do it, only I use oil clips to keep the oil from shooting everywhere. Not all motors need them though, depends on your idle oil pressure. I also have an old valve cover that I cut the top out of that keeps oil from running out of the head onto the motor.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I like to do it with engine running and warm.start backing (SLOWLY) off on one till it rattles..its easy to tell and hear,you will know when its enough. Slowl turn it back down till rattle stops, about 1 flat at a time,then waiting a few seconds for them to adjust.Once the rattle is gone,I go 1/2 turn more( SLOWLY). The book, I think, calls for one full turn but hotrodders have found 1/2 much better for them. Thats how we did it in the 60s and 70s,still works good today.( jeeze, I just looked where your from.I am a Schneider driver and pass thru there)
I agree with what you say, good explaination, except you don't want to use this 1/2 turn method for a roller camshaft and hyd lifters. I know the poster does not have that setup but just in case someone reads this. I've been there and it cost me a camshaft.

Get notified of new replies

To Setting Rocker Arms

Quick Reply: Setting Rocker Arms