C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does gravity bleed take? help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does gravity bleed take? help!

I have all new lines calipers, I bench bled and installed now it’s been 6hrs gravity bleed so I gave the pedal some pumps and there are a few bubbles come up in the m/c is this normal
And still and just little brake flow in the inside r/r what’s wrong here.
I just closed everything up had enough what a pain in the azz
I am using dot 5 silicone
Will I have to pull the m/c off because of the bubbles?

Can someone give me the steps to do this please?

Sorry just a little frustrated right now!

thanks
Todd
Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cargo247

I have all new lines calipers, I bench bled and installed now it’s been 6hrs gravity bleed so I gave the pedal some pumps and there are a few bubbles come up in the m/c is this normal
And still and just little brake flow in the inside r/r what’s wrong here.
I just closed everything up had enough what a pain in the azz
I am using dot 5 silicone
Will I have to pull the m/c off because of the bubbles?

Can someone give me the steps to do this please?

Sorry just a little frustrated right now!

thanks
Todd
You have to get it going first to get the air out of the lines. It will not start on its own. Just use the old pump and release the fitting method until you get fluid to each caliper. Then the gravity process will not take long.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bet you are it's a lot of trouble with these brake systems. A few members like Tom 454 swear by gravity bleeding. He has a write up on the different methods of bleeding brakes. If you have the vehicle up on jackstands, and have the bleeders open with catch containers, let mother nature do her thing, tap the rear calipers with a rubber mallet to free any bubbles that may be hung up toward the upper inner/outer bleeders. It also helps to have "speed" bleeders. These differ than the regular bleeders because they have a small check ball that does not allow air back into the bleeder like the regulars do. More replies will be forthcomng.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:15 AM
jimbo1972
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

I did a quick post on this the other day, you can do a search. I used a big syringe from the pharmacy to suck the fluid down to the caliper. took only about 5 minutes per wheel to do.
Good luck
Jimbo
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 AM
bodaboom69
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

if you see bubbles coming out of the mc then you probably have to remove the mc again and bench bleed it. if air gets trapped in the mc it will never come out when installed on the car.
i've gravity bled quite a few vettes, sometimes it can take a while, i left my car for a few hours, and just checked the fluid level often.
the speed bleeders are a great idea, because you can pump the peddle with no assistance, because they have check ***** and won't let air re-enter the system.
i strongly agree with the rubber mallet, hit everything you can reach. the calipers, the mc, the lines and even the chassis. dislodge as many bubbles as you can. with the lines still open. then....the next day, do it again.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the process of gravity bleeding my brakes on my '69 when along comes a very well respected member of this forum. He was staying with me at the time. He promptly asked for some tubing and got the fluid to each caliper taking about 15 seconds each. He did get some in his mouth and promptly stated "That is what Labatt Blue is for"
What a beer snob...But he is a character!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Desert68
Intermediate

I have seen really tiny bubbles come up to the top in a bench bled, newly installed master cylinder and it worked fine.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I disconnect the battery and depress the brake pedal an inch or two. Then fill the master to the top and open bleeders. Usaully with in a minute I have brake fluid at all four wheels. Do Not let the MC run dry Also if you only get fluid to the front or back, then the perportioning valve is stuck.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Shirley1978
Burning Brakes

9.8m/s^2
Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

It should take a long time if you have not ordered the Motive Products Pressure Bleeder in advance. Get one before you start and it only takes an hour or so. This should be in every C3 owners tool box as standard equipment.

-Mark.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have felt your pain before. Replace m/c and brake lines. Thought I never get the fluid moving. Tried mini hand vac, gravity feed, etc. Nothing worked and I was getting very frustrated. Even had the wife pumping the brakes while I was loosening the bleeders. I still told her she was a big help though.

Ended up getting a buddy to pump the crap out of the brake pedal and presto . . . fluid gushing!!! Be sure to follow the bleeding sequence. Hang in, you'll get there
Old 05-28-2008, 01:31 PM
mooneyd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silicone (DOT 5) is harder to bleed. Bubbles do not move as easily in it, sometimes not at all without some help.
Be patient "Grasshopper"
Old 05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by stingr69
It should take a long time if you have not ordered the Motive Products Pressure Bleeder in advance. Get one before you start and it only takes an hour or so. This should be in every C3 owners tool box as standard equipment.

-Mark.
.. If I have to keep one tool only in my garage, I would choose a pressure bleeder.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
bodaboom69
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

just remember, dot 3 brake fluid goes bad very fast when exposed to air. so if you have a pressure bleeder that does not have a rubber bladder to keep the fluid sealed from the ambiant air, the left over fluid will absord moisture and be junk in a month or so.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Ok got it done ....AND THEN... just remember i have all new stuff on here and a LEAK not a small leak a nice one oh but were is it coming from? i thought the bleeder was not tight, not with my luck LEFT FRONT CALIPER OUTSIDE LOWER PISTON SEAL PISSING ALL OVER THE PLACE. now i must call corvette central to see what they will do about this oh but look at the time they are closed ......... i wounder if a sledge hammer would stop the leak

Has anyone had a return like this with corvette central and how did it go i have had them in a box for like 3 or 4 months till i was ready to put them on well i am ready its not.

Todd
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM
cargo247
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shirley1978
9.8m/s^2
lol
Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had some luck with gravity bleading but if you have a sleeved master cyclinder some of them will not gravity blead if you wait a week. Their is a hole that is blocked by the sleeve that is needed only for gravity bleeding so the rebuilers skip doing it.

Get notified of new replies

To How long does gravity bleed take? help!

Quick Reply: How long does gravity bleed take? help!