C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Shocks for my C3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Shocks for my C3?

I've come to the conclusion I need to replace my shocks. I've noticed them leaking - (all four). While the suspension does not feel too loose/bad, I am getting a creaking noise stopping, starting, and creeping away from stops or over bumps on the rear of the car. I think it is the shocks.

That said, what should I go with? I've seen everything from Delco to Bilsteins listed in various Vette catalogs.

Here is some background on what I have and what I expect.

I have a 1979 L48. I've already redone the entire front end, from stabilizer bar/bushings, idler arms, tie rod ends, ball joints, basically everything.

I intend to do the same to the rear this winter when I am not driving her. I intend to move to a mono spring as well, and replace the strut rods/bushings as well. I've already replaced the differential upper/lower bushings with urethane replacements.

I want a mix of a nice ride and good handling. Solid/stable/firm cornering, but again a pretty nice overall ride. I do a lot of in town driving if that makes a difference.

Again, I see AC Delco, Bilstein, KYB, and a cheapo semi-original version as well in the various Vette catalogs.

Bilstein appears to be the most expensive of all of them. So what should I be going with? Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW, I got the KYB's in my '69. The hi-pressure - I think they are the Gas a Justs. Quite a few sware by the Blistines. I drive "regular" and the KYB's (with the cheaper price tag) suit my needs. They are fairly stiff.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
DVNTST8
Le Mans Master

Location: if you have a ? on my avatar, please contact me directly, you spineless twit
St. Jude Donor '09

I have the KYB Gas-A-Justs and a 330# monospring, also in a 79 L48. I like it.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DVNTST8
I have the KYB Gas-A-Justs and a 330# monospring, also in a 79 L48. I like it.
After working harder with the search here, I was able to find several similar threads.. Doh, not sure why I did not find them before. Anyway, I stumbled on them by searching for KYB.

I think I am leaning towards those as many people seem to like them. Did you get them from a catalog or via a parts store. Just wonder if this is something I could find locally, or if I should order through the catalog.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Check the standard Corvette folks also Jegs and Summit. Both of the latter will match your best advertised price. I did just that recently for my DD. A $126 shipped price quickly became a $86 shipped price for a Magnaflow cat .

Last edited by TWINRAY; 07-09-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Check the standard Corvette folks also Jegs and Summit. Both of the latter will match your best advertised price. I did just that recently for my DD. A $126 shipped price quickly became a $86 shipped price for a Magnaflow cat .
Great, thanks!!! Did you get them from Summit or Jegs?

Also, what is the difference between the gas-a-just and the GR-2's?
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mia

Thanks.
Can't remember, it was over 5 years ago. I just looked at all the catalogs (inc. Ecklers, Zip, CC etc.) and bought the one with the lowest price. I think the GR-2's aren't high pressure.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

If your going to a monoleaf in the rear and don't intend to take your care to a road course, the KYB2's sold by VBP specifically for monoleaf springs have a great ride and handle decent for the street. The rear shocks are valved special to help eliminate the bounciness common with the monoleaf springs.

I found them to have a better ride than the KYB gas-adjust, Monroe, Delco, or Bilstien extremes. Hoever, most people use Bilstein HD or sports and I have no experience with them. I'm currently running Edelbrock shocks, but I only upgraded to them from teh KYB2's because I am doing some HPDE's lately and the KYB2's were way too soft.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Bilstein. Good ride, last forever.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Bilstein. Good ride, last forever.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

I have the Koni 6way adjust on my 74r...not the cheapest but they are pretty good...john
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Green76
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Koni adjustable shocks on my 76 vette, but I have stock springs all the way around, I wouldn't use anything but them.

If you are going to monosprings in the back, you better go with the rcomended shocks......
Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have Bilstein Heavy Duties in the front of my 78 with the 550Lb springs and Bilstein Sports in the rear with a 360LB monospring. Tremendous ride with incredible handling. Had KYB Gas-Adjust (as well as KONI oils) in the past and they are definitely inferior to the Bilsteins especially with the rear fiberglass spring. Bilsteins and possibly Koni's are really the only way to go if you want the best shocks. Everything else is just playing catch up!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Mia

Thanks.
I had the KYB Gas-a-Adjusts on my 78 corvette and they are a high pressure gas shock but they will lose their stiffness fairly quickly with time and mileage. I had them in the rear with a glass 360lb monospring (2 sets in fact over the years) and the ride is way too bouncy. The GR2's are a basic low pressure gas comfort tuned shock and not designed for any real performance. I have them on a grand prix and feel that they are way too soft for that car and would imagine that they would also be way too soft for a crovette based on my experience with the Gas Adjusts. It all depends what you are looking for.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
DVNTST8
Le Mans Master

Location: if you have a ? on my avatar, please contact me directly, you spineless twit
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mia
After working harder with the search here, I was able to find several similar threads.. Doh, not sure why I did not find them before. Anyway, I stumbled on them by searching for KYB.

I think I am leaning towards those as many people seem to like them. Did you get them from a catalog or via a parts store. Just wonder if this is something I could find locally, or if I should order through the catalog.

Thanks!

I ordered mine from a catalog, but don't remember the name of it, it wasn't one of your normal Vette vendors.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:33 PM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When I went to composite monospring front and back I installed the KYB G2's from VBP that are designed for the springs.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rclinton
When I went to composite monospring front and back I installed the KYB G2's from VBP that are designed for the springs.
Thanks... BTW, what is VBP?

Get notified of new replies

To Which Shocks for my C3?

Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
DVNTST8
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mia
Thanks... BTW, what is VBP?

VBP= Vette Brakes and Products. A supporting vendor of the Forum who specializes in suspensions and brake systems.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DVNTST8
VBP= Vette Brakes and Products. A supporting vendor of the Forum who specializes in suspensions and brake systems.
Great, thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Ok, the KYB's were too hard to locate. No one has them for the rears, not even the manufacturer.

I bit the bullet and bought the Bilstiens all the way around. I hope it's worth it. Gonna get started later today on replacing them.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Which Shocks for my C3?