C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Brake Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:24 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Brake Caliper

I went out to the garage today to look at my vette,and both of my rear wheels were wet with fluid. So I know whats needed (Calipers). I put the ones that are on it about 5 years ago. It sets more than I drive it. My question is which ones give the best performance/reliability? I am looking at the new oring design seals & pistons. I was wondering whether to get new or rebuilt. Is there a particular place that has a good price etc.....
Thanks for any info, Dan
Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If they are already SS sleeved ones just get the Oring kit and put them in there. My SS sleeved ones started seeping fluid after about 8 years. I put in the oring kit a few years ago and they are still leak free.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:45 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take a serious look at Wilwoods new replacement C3 caliper.
It's aluminum, has a 21st century seal and piston design and it's a Wilwood.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:45 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I don't know how good they are yet, but they are a nice option if you want to try something different without making any modifications to the suspension.

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...p=1962&ID=3024

I ordered the clear ones so they are very unobtrusive and look almost stock. They bolt to the stock locations and use the stock pads. The only thing that doesn't fit are the stock lines. Since I am restoring the car ('63 convertible) anyway it was a small matter to get the correct lines from Van Steel when I ordered the calipers. They weigh about half what the stock ones do and look terrific.

Considering they are Wilwood and only cost $300 each, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

Man those wilwoods are sweeeeeet!!!! I may have to try some if I have the cash after christmas. I was checking and what is the difference (besides about $170) between the ones with the orings and insulators, and just the orings.
Thanks again
Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

BTW why dont the stock lines fit (I have already put goodrige ss braided lines on mine F&R) Will these fit?
Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by cvnobles
BTW why dont the stock lines fit (I have already put goodrige ss braided lines on mine F&R) Will these fit?
Thanks
It's just a matter of the fitting that attaches to the caliper. As I mentioned I was installing all new lines anyway (braided SS) and Van Steel just swapped the set they had already sent for the ones to fit the Wilwoods.

I am changing the front from drums to the disc set up on my '63 and purchased the package from Van Steel. Since we have been making a few changes to my set-up (dual master cylinder) we've had to call them a few times to tell them what we wanted to do and they have been a wealth of information, great to deal with and have superb customer support.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

'.
I would just get the inexpensive calipers from Auto Zone. $60 bucks exchange. SS insert OE and stock rebuilts have the same problem. The fluid attracts water and over time rust forms and gets to the seals no matter what kind the are. I would recommend doing a complete flush every 2-3 years to keep the water forming the rust that kills the seals. These cars are now babied and not DD drivers any more. Problems like this happens to many cars not adequately driven and maintained. And personally i`m no better...

Anything over $60.00 is not going to stop your vette any better than GM designed it.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ironcross
'.
These cars are now babied and not DD drivers any more. Problems like this happens to many cars not adequately driven and maintained. And personally i`m no better...
I know it!!! I even flushed the system, and used silicone brake fluid when I put the other calipers on...... guess it still wasnt enough!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

'.
I would just get the inexpensive calipers from Auto Zone. $60 bucks exchange. SS insert OE and stock rebuilts have the same problem. The fluid attracts water and over time rust forms and gets to the seals no matter what kind the are. I would recommend doing a complete flush every 2-3 years to keep the water forming the rust that kills the seals. These cars are now babied and not DD drivers any more. Problems like this happens to many cars not adequately driven and maintained. And personally i`m no better...

Anything over $60.00 is not going to stop your vette any better than GM designed it.

(That is what I did and the Auto Zone ones have ss liners)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

'.

Gotta agree on that line, only other thing is hydroboost, I really can't see anything stopping my vette any better, my Vette is not a race car, I touch the brakes and my head hits the windshield
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'.

Unless you race or autocross. The the stock iron anchors show their age quickly.
But for a slow cruise to the car show, don't stop hard without checking for tailgaters!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

I will probably try to get the replacement orings & piston kit and try to fix the ones on there (I am sure they have ss liners)(came from ecklers about 5 yrs ago. Unless.. I go for the wilwoods I am getting tired of brake fluid on the shop floor & I will never sale my vette (1st car got it when I was 15.) I am online now trying to find the wilwoods cheaper!!!!
Thanks again!!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I tend to agree with GUSTO but I'm partial to his choice. But I'd not pay $300ea for these. A complete front or rear package can be had for as little as $619. And I'd extend the offer if you're interested.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-p...post1568060102
Old 12-24-2008, 12:32 AM
cvnobles
Advanced

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
I tend to agree with GUSTO but I'm partial to his choice. But I'd not pay $300ea for these. A complete front or rear package can be had for as little as $619. And I'd extend the offer if you're interested.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-p...post1568060102
Now I just need to figure out how to use my 10% off paypal promo code!!! Will you give me a deal if I get both the front & rear sets?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
.....Ok, since you put it out for scrutiny.

.......'Exactly', what comprises "'complete" for as little as $619.00 plus tax and shipping?..
Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 95 Posts

.....Ok, since you put it out for scrutiny.

.......'Exactly', what comprises "'complete" for as little as $619.00 plus tax and shipping?..
Click on his link, shows what you get.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Brake Caliper

Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

has anyone tried the C5 conversion kit for C2/C3 discs?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:23 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RC81
Click on his link, shows what you get.
Thanks. Saves me coming across as a bad guy. I think it's pretty clear what's included. And if someone finds I'm incorrect and somehow left something out...I'll see what I can do to help out.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cvnobles
Now I just need to figure out how to use my 10% off paypal promo code!!! Will you give me a deal if I get both the front & rear sets?

Come on now....isn't this more than a fair price already? Wish I could do more guys but I just paid the bill for Dec here. Paypal is fine for me also. It's the normal shop email address.

Quick Reply: Best Brake Caliper