C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine wiring harness pro's and con's

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Engine wiring harness pro's and con's

I have been thinking of at least replacing the engine wiring harness on my 68. The thinking is that I don't want to get stranded somewhere because of old hard wiring failing. I assume if I replace the engine harness it would alleviate most of these concerns. But maybe it is rare to break down over this and not worth worrying about.

Any thoughts either way?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Most of the failures in old wiring harnesses I've seen were from modifications, damage from "mechanics" or poor reinstallation. If your harness is trouble free, not damaged, or hacked up, it's probably OK. If it's had any problems, replace it.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

depends on the condition of your harness,
I thought about replacing mine, after examining the harness very well.
and determining my current wires were still long enough to use,
I decided to keep my harness, and reworked it, you can replace almost every connection pretty easy,
I also soldered every connection, no crimp on junk, I am very happy with the end result,
and they clean up real nice.

I prefer to keep the orginal when possible. 69VETT
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've still got the original wiring in my 69. I've repaired the harness where it goes down to the starter- the combination of 35 years, a BB, and headers had pretty well cooked it. Other than that, no problems. Yes, the harness is not a flexible as it used to be, but it's not getting moved either. Unless you're having repeated problems that have proved to be in the harness(es) I wouldn't worry.

These C3's suffer from grounding problems more than harness faults from what I've seen. Maybe go back and track down all the body grounds and clean them.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

The areas of 'concern' are around the starter area, the starter ground wire [to the frame], and the ignition wiring. Other than that, your wiring should be "safe" if it does not appear to be badly worn or damaged.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Thanks guys. I guess I will keep it and see how it goes.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

make sure all your gnd. connections are good, and make sure you have a good gnd from frame to Birdcage. 69VETT
Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I replaced my 68 engine harness in about an hour and a half. Go with the lectriclimited harness. It is an exact replacement.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Engine and forward light harness are a snap. That (@*#*%_@ dash harness is a different animal. I just put new ones in the 74. The PO before the guy I got it from wired electric fans directly to the ignition switch and cooked all of them.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I would replace the engine compartment harness only. The passenger compartment harness usually remains in good shape as it stays out of the heat, sunlight and weather.
The heat damage on my engine harness was bad enough let alone what all the PO's spliced into and out of and rewired. Fairly easy job even with the engine installed. Just replaced the firewall plug first then replaced only one connector at a time sorting the harness out as i went. I don't recommend unplugging all the connectors at once even if you mark them as my preference is to verify wire color code as i go.

Good luck,
cardo0
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Originally Posted by cardo0
I would replace the engine compartment harness only. The passenger compartment harness usually remains in good shape as it stays out of the heat, sunlight and weather.
The heat damage on my engine harness was bad enough let alone what all the PO's spliced into and out of and rewired. Fairly easy job even with the engine installed. Just replaced the firewall plug first then replaced only one connector at a time sorting the harness out as i went. I don't recommend unplugging all the connectors at once even if you mark them as my preference is to verify wire color code as i go.

Good luck,
cardo0
Well now you guys are convincing me. I have my fair share of splices, etc. I am thinking of replacing the engine harness. Lectric Limited price is $200. But I have already disconnected everything. I believe I know where it all goes. Famous last words,,,I know.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Originally Posted by Budman68
I replaced my 68 engine harness in about an hour and a half. Go with the lectriclimited harness. It is an exact replacement.
Thanks Budman68 that is good to know. I was thinking of using theirs.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine wiring harness pro's and con's

Quick Reply: Engine wiring harness pro's and con's