C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowman's C3 Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Here are more pics:

Out came the old HVAC. WOW does it ever clutter up the engine compartment!

Out came the old power steering and installed Steeroids PS. I think that is a really really clean setup. Can't wait to try it out.

Out came the entire dash for Hot Rod Air system. Replaced the entire dash section itself and with all new gauges Autometer Cobalt series that glow blue at night and top of the line Alpine unit that also glows blue at night.

Same for matching Speedo and tach. Upgrading to tilt-tele wheel then will put the entire dash back together. Right now, it is a bit of a mess.

Pulled and recovered the seats in blue leather.

>> Pic

Ordered and got some killer wheels from Vintage Wheel Works, had spokes powder coated a gunmetal metallic color. They turned out well. 17x9's in the front, 17x11's in the rear.

Have stripped the car of brightwork and polished everything. Will have fender flares courtesy of Stan (Road-Race Vette), doing headers and sidepipes so will fill in rear panel, going to long L88 hood, so might as well repaint the entire car. At the moment, I am committed to staying with Bridgehampton Blue but I am tempted to use a C6 LMB color to match my Z06. We shall see.

Shark bar setup is going in now.

Then steering and dash, finishing brakes, stripping and repainting rotors and calipers.

Took out the gas tank and cross member, had the tank boiled and powder coated. Welded on a sump and have plumbed for Aeromotive 1000 fuel pump. AN-10 feed, AN-8 return. Rear end is coming together.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Looks good! Can you give more info on those electric actuators? Are they one off or available in the aftermarket? I'm getting a little tired of messing with these vacuum headlights every 2 years or so.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Doug, Nice team build.

What trans crossmember are you going to use with the T-56?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
boeing46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is going to be a one of a kind jewel. I have an 81 in excellent condition If i had the money would do what you doing to your C3.
Mine looks great but needs paint for a few flaws.
I couldn't put an engine like that in my car because i'm in Kalifornia.
You are completely restoring that beauty with quality parts front to back.
It must really make your life to be able to be able to do that to any car.
I'm going to probably have to leave my motor alone with some minor mods and do mostly outside mods. It's not fast but runs like a new one.
Congratulations on being able to do what ever you want to your C3.
It's gonna be a screaming machine.
Good luck as i know this is a major undertaking but you must be having a blast. Your wallet must really hurt though.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
OURSHARK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome simply Awesome!!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

very nice!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Vtechcorvette
Advanced

Looks very good
Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by nastee383
Looks good! Can you give more info on those electric actuators? Are they one off or available in the aftermarket? I'm getting a little tired of messing with these vacuum headlights every 2 years or so.
I don't know how current this is but it's off of Chris McDonald's website http://mcspeed.homestead.com/Our_Products.html

Doug I'll be anxious see the dyno results comparing the 3 cams. It should be real interesting.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I like the Cobalt Blue Autometers. Those look really nice in there. Any more details about those would be appreciated. How did you go about mounting them? Do you have any pics of the back sides you could post or PM? Like I said earlier, I am ready to see this car in BG this year.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Your car was very nice before you started, but you have taken it a couple of levels higher.

Love your thread.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Fascinating read. Thanks for the excellent writeups with associated pics. Verts are cool.

I liked your approach to the gas tank (powder coat & sump); I want to look into having the same thing done to mine while the opportunity is available.

Thanks for the ideas and look forward to more.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Got a PM about the gas tank. I took the tank out of this car, had it boiled, modified a sump box, had it welded on then painted the tank. Hated it. So went back to the drawing board and had it powder coated. WOW what a difference!

Let's see if I can find you some pics here somewhere.

Nothing fancy.

With sump installed.

Hated the paint.

So had it powder coated.

Had an AN-8 bung welded in for the fuel regulator return line.

Last edited by Snowman; 03-07-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
I like the Cobalt Blue Autometers. Those look really nice in there. Any more details about those would be appreciated. How did you go about mounting them? Do you have any pics of the back sides you could post or PM? Like I said earlier, I am ready to see this car in BG this year.
Eddie, I will take some pics. I replaced the entire central dash unit because they are designed to breakway in an accident just above the gauges and mine had (not accident just mis-handling over the years I guess). So off came the rear cover, the clear lens that goes in front of the meters on normal car and they just bolted right into the dash. They tilt towards the driver. Haven't wired the back yet but it should be pretty straightforward. I still have a tangle of wire behind the dash that I'd like to sort out and get rid of but haven't had the courage to tackle that yet.

I will get you a pic though. Is a pretty clean setup. My friend Patrick Flournoy did the mounting of the speedo and tach which took more work and you'd have to ask him about that. Along with Jim, he is also a great git er done guy and had done something similar in his 68.

DP
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Just finished install of the "Tom's" rear end. By the time we were done, many changes had been made. But have the car on 4 wheels again....long time since rear end came out in late August/early September.

Will send pics soon (flash pics are crumby at night). Big shout out to Mike Dyer (tracdogg) who did a lot of fixing of work others had passed along and stuck with me til we'd nailed it.

Pics soon.

Doug
Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman
Just finished install of the "Tom's" rear end. By the time we were done, many changes had been made. But have the car on 4 wheels again....long time since rear end came out in late August/early September.

Will send pics soon (flash pics are crumby at night). Big shout out to Mike Dyer (tracdogg) who did a lot of fixing of work others had passed along and stuck with me til we'd nailed it.

Pics soon.

Doug
Mike does amazing work when it comes to anything vette related. Nice project snowman, can't wait to see it finished. Who is going to be installing the flares, and what offset did you use on your wheels?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
turboed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome car and as far as the internal parts not being there it seems to happen a lot,some people are scum.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
65 DENCO
Racer

Got a PM about the gas tank. I took the tank out of this car, had it boiled, modified a sump box, had it welded on then painted the tank. Hated it. So went back to the drawing board and had it powder coated. WOW what a difference!

Let's see if I can find you some pics here somewhere.

Nothing fancy.

With sump installed.

Hated the paint.

So had it powder coated.

Had an AN-8 bung welded in for the fuel regulator return line.

Why two pick-ups on the bottom? Does the 8 AN return line have any tube or baffle on the other other side- or is it open on the back side of the fitting? Thank you for posting that info the powder does look nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Snowman's C3 Project Car

Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 PM
pef427
Burning Brakes

Eddie, I will take some pics. I replaced the entire central dash unit because they are designed to breakway in an accident just above the gauges and mine had (not accident just mis-handling over the years I guess). So off came the rear cover, the clear lens that goes in front of the meters on normal car and they just bolted right into the dash. They tilt towards the driver. Haven't wired the back yet but it should be pretty straightforward. I still have a tangle of wire behind the dash that I'd like to sort out and get rid of but haven't had the courage to tackle that yet.

I will get you a pic though. Is a pretty clean setup. My friend Patrick Flournoy did the mounting of the speedo and tach which took more work and you'd have to ask him about that. Along with Jim, he is also a great git er done guy and had done something similar in his 68.

DP
Hey Eddie,
Doug and I picked out the Cobalt Series as they seemed at home in the blue interior. I picked up some real thick black plexi-glass from a local glass shop and used the inner rings of the stock gauges for a mounting pattern. The plexi had a protective film that allowed me to use a jig-saw. I laid it on some foam to help absorb the vibration and cut it. I cut the inner ring pattern very tight and used a file to clearance it. Once they were aligned, I added a few touches from a hot glue gun to keep them in place when the front tires return to the pavement.
-Patrick
PS. I caught the video of your new motor recently...SWEET!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Whiplash71
Instructor

DP
Awesome upgrades I'm very interested in more pics on the gauges too. I have the dash half out for my EFI conversion now and have wanted to change out the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge for electronic for a long time but didn't have the guts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65 DENCO
Why two pick-ups on the bottom? Does the 8 AN return line have any tube or baffle on the other other side- or is it open on the back side of the fitting? Thank you for posting that info the powder does look nice.
I wanted to make sure that the fuel pump would always have a supply. 2 AN-8's cleared the rear frame with less grinding than an AN-10 bung and connector would have. They come together in a Y fitting, then through a 100 micron filter with shutoff valve, through the pump and then through a 40 micron filter and up to the fuel regulator in the front of the car.

No the AN-8 doesn't have baffle or anything on the inside of the tank on the return.

Doug

I really like the rear end pic of your 65 roadster. Tried to find other pics. Do you have a site with more pics you could refer me to?

Thanks

Doug

Quick Reply: Snowman's C3 Project Car