C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 fiber optic help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 fiber optic help please

I've got the center console up enough to get to the fiber optics for the front and rear. The lines work! Great. The problem is this: How do you keep the lines in the rear tubes under the console for the rear fo's and how do you hook the front fo's up under the console? The rear has small plastic tubes that I assume the fo's are inserted. The ferrules on the ends of the lines are too loose. On the front ones, there are no tubes, where do the lines go/insert to keep them in place?

any help appreciated. I have ordered the weekend projects book but it hasn't arrived and i'm itching to fix this.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

the front bolts to the lens and the lens bolts to the trim plate. the trim plate bolts to the console.
Not sure how the rear ones are held in.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default lens bolts

i must be missing something under the console as I don't see anything that they could be bolted to. Any websites with pics? Oh, and thanks for the info.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The rear f/o lines have little metal ferrules with some tabs sticking out of them. When pressed into the clear plastic lens piece, they grab in pretty tight. A common problem is that the receiver sockets on that plastic piece get cracked and/or broken so the ferrules don't grab well. Best fix: buy a new rear f/o lens piece [and metal ferrules, if needed]; Bubba fix: duct tape.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default ureka

Thanks for the advice. I never thought of duct tape. That'll solve that. Now if I could figure out what piece bolts to the front piece to hold those in place my mystery will be solved.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Andy,
Perhaps you might think about buying the factory ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTION MANUAL (AIM) and the GM CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL for your 69. There's one for each year car.
I think you'll find a lot of helpful information you'll want to know while you're working on your car. Both books will be able to help you figure out what you're seeing, how it was originally, and what may have been be changed or what's missing.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 fiber optic help please

Quick Reply: 1969 fiber optic help please