C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Hoses conections and belts after ac removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:22 PM
css4608
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Hoses conections and belts after ac removal

I am assembling a 79 corvette with a 350, it was in pieces when I started working on it so I have never seen one fully assembled and I have a few questions.

First the heater hoses. There is a 5/8 hose with something in the center, a little black plastic thing; there is also a vacuum line coming from the black thing. What is it?

Second, there is the 5/8” line and ¾” line coming off the heater core. I have a ¾” on the water pump and a ¾” on the intake manifold. Both plugs are brand new. I am assuming one should be for the 5/8” hose, which one?

Third the ac system has been lost; I would like install a new one at some point but not for a year or two. Has anyone removed the ac system and if so what do they do for belts? Do you only have one belt for the water pump, the alternator belt or do you add a second belt and if so how do you tension the belt?

Last I am starting to run vacuum hoses, anyone have a list of how much of each size you need? It would save me a bit of time making a list.

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by css4608
I am assembling a 79 corvette with a 350, it was in pieces when I started working on it so I have never seen one fully assembled and I have a few questions.

First the heater hoses. There is a 5/8 hose with something in the center, a little black plastic thing; there is also a vacuum line coming from the black thing. What is it?
The vac. line goes to the A/C Vent Heater controls & shuts off heater water flow w/ the black valve. Plug the vac. line.

Second, there is the 5/8” line and ¾” line coming off the heater core. I have a ¾” on the water pump and a ¾” on the intake manifold. Both plugs are brand new. I am assuming one should be for the 5/8” hose, which one?
The 3/4" are same on both so a plug that works on one works on the other.
I have same plugs on both.

Third the ac system has been lost; I would like install a new one at some point but not for a year or two. Has anyone removed the ac system and if so what do they do for belts? Do you only have one belt for the water pump, the alternator belt or do you add a second belt and if so how do you tension the belt?
only have one belt

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-26-2009, 04:09 PM
css4608
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanks for the response, one more question. The 5/8" hose with the heater vent control, should that be connected to the intake manifold or the watter pump?

Thanks
CHris
Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by css4608
THanks for the response, one more question. The 5/8" hose with the heater vent control, should that be connected to the intake manifold or the watter pump?

Thanks
CHris
intake manifold
Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

,Intake.
Keep the vacuum shutoff if it works. Pull the glovebox and you'll see a vac switch on top of the heater box. See that the lever depresses the plunger when the temp slider is on COLD. Doesn't matter if AC or not. But make sure there's no vacuum leaks in the heat/AC system. Shuts off the water flow to the heater keeping the cabin a little more comfortable. You can test the valve off the car by hooking it to a vacuum source(another car?)and blowing through it. Should shut tight under vacuum.
Lot of guys put a manual valve in place of it but if it works correctly there's really no need.
If you're talking about the emissions vacuum hoses, several of the vendors offer kits(Zip, Paragon, DrRebuild)

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Hoses conections and belts after ac removal

Quick Reply: Heater Hoses conections and belts after ac removal