C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grounding strap question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:13 PM
dp1969
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding strap question

I had the complete frame of this 69 coupe powder coated. I have the body back on am wondering if I need to scuff up or scrape away the powder coat from areas that are used for grounding straps or the Negative battery terminal. Also, I know there are two straps from body to frame at exhaust hangers and two more around the door sill. I seem to remember more when I took it apart. I know about the radio antenna strap too. Anything else?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DP,
I had the frame on my 71 powder coated and found that putting the bolts in place takes enough of the coating off to achieve a ground condition. It's easy to use your meter to test each location and run the bolt in and out a couple of times if you need to. The ground at the starter to frame bracket uses a star washer that worked even with the thickness of the coating.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
dp1969
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi DP,
I had the frame on my 71 powder coated and found that putting the bolts in place takes enough of the coating off to achieve a ground condition. It's easy to use your meter to test each location and run the bolt in and out a couple of times if you need to. The ground at the starter to frame bracket uses a star washer that worked even with the thickness of the coating.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Hey Alan, I got that one too, it just seemed like when I took it apart, there were a bunch more, maybe not.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DP,
I didn't mean to imply that you should have the same # of straps as my 71. I believe your 69 had at least 2 more and maybe 4 more. 2 at the center exhaust hanger and 1 at the front of each rocker channel. Running the bolts in and out should work at those locations too.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-27-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DP,
I agree with what Alan 71 said with the addition of using die-electric grease at the point of contact to the frame to keep it from rusting in the future when the external tooth lock washers dig in through your powder coating. Nothing is worse than to be under your vette in a few years and see the rust stains running down on your powder coating where bolts were installed for fuel / brake lines, wiring, etc. "DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Grounding strap question

Quick Reply: Grounding strap question