C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zinc In Oil for ZZ3

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7032644

Rgds. Günther
Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by trsulliv
I have a 73 with a 93 ZZ3 crate engine. I am sure there are other threads about zinc in the oil, but was not sure how to find them. So, do I need to start looking for oil with zinc for the ZZ3? If yes, can somebody recommend an oil? I have been running Mobil 1 in it for many years now, and Valvoline 20W-50 Racing oil for an occasional track day.
Pretty darn sure your ZZ3 came with roller tappets/lifters ... use any oil that floats your boat. Zinc is only an issue with flat tappets/lifters ... there's plenty of both disagreement & disinformation to be found. Sad you got mired in a debate that don't apply to your roller ZZ3.

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
Based on this the author is stating that the current post-2007 CJ4/CI4 rotella has a minimum 1200ppm and is more than sufficient for a broken in flat tappet engine. Anybody NOT agree with that conclusion?...(not based on YOUR opinion..based on the article in which the author is presenting himself as an actual SME on the subject).

To me this suggest that all the hysteria over the new Rotella is just that...hysteria!
I agree 1200% ... I run "new diesel truck oil" in everything I have: gas mower-diesel tractor-flat tappet vette-roller tappet lincoln-roller tappet Sonoma. For the disinformed, it matters not so much what GF-4 etc may dictate are upper limits of what might be there ... instead suggest seek out data from recent Virgin Oil Analyses of "new CJ" & see what spectroscopy determines is actually present ... what & how much is really in there matters most.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hmm. I don't think of myself as "disinformed". The MSDS is a good place to start, and no pushback on getting an oil analysis. But it certainly does matter what GF-4/CJ-4 specs as requirement IMHO.

Although it was noted that no opinions, only facts, be put forth regarding 1200 PPM as a reasonable floor for ZDDP - I haven't seen anything yet We seem to be taking one article and basing everything on it, and are still offering personal experience as validation and making recommendations based on that.

So, we'll agree to disagree - as we all knew how this thread would turn out Rather than trying to reach consensus, which I don't think is happening, maybe we we can note that 800 is too little based on failures post GF-4 implementation, 1200 is suggested by the engine SME and 1600 is too much. Get validation from reputable sources on the actual amount of ZDDP, and determine what makes sense from your risk management perspective.

Since we're basing so much on one article, does anyone have Duke Williams full bio? Everything I found indicates "Retired automotive/aerospace engineer" - clearly a smart guy and an NCRS member with a sweet ride, but it would be nice to know who we're basing all these recommendations on, don't you think?

Last edited by billla; 08-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Zinc In Oil for ZZ3