C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford taurus fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Sundevil64
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L79racer
I am pretty sure that is not the right Taurus fan. The 3.8 2 speed taurus fan from 87 to 93 has S Shaped blades and has a 3 terminal plug. It should look like this.

It must have been a replacement, because I pulled it off of the Taurus myself. It has the three prong plug, ground, high, and low speed.

I'll probably pull power from where ever I mount the controller I put together. It will either be the starter or the alternator. I've heard both areas to pull power the starter lug or the alternator lug. Either way it will have fuse or a circuit breaker in line.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
is it really going to come to the where to get the main power from argument again,
the last time it came up more people said to get the power from the starter lug because it would mess up the alternator. now its just the exact opposite. totally opposite advice is what i have noticed to be the norm here sometimes
Yup, goes back to a long running argument with Baskin the owner of that DCC site there making the digital controllers.....

first off, I feel they are not necessary, and I know of no factory using anything like it.....everything I know of all through the 90s even had just a switch on/off for cooling fans....

the controllers from him or Spal did not like alternator output fed to them they required battery sink power to smooth out the ripples....with the fans on running a/c my Tek scope says 700 mv or ripple on the line....out of some 13-14 volts available...more than I expected, but not so awful evil....but apparently enough to smoke SState controllers that are pulse switched....electronic theory, forgetaboutit if you don't understand, suffice to say they need a battery cable source...

trouble is, the charging of the battery is lessened when the fans are on/ or a/c is running and if short drives, the battery is not getting fully recharged from the many starts.....

so two points, it's hard on battery, because of lesser charge rate, and then it's really not necessary device to finish with....

Alternators don't supply power unless the load is applied up to their current limit....so if you have say a 100 amp alt...the fans surge to ~40 for about a second, then they draw say 25 steady amps.....then your a/c blower draws another say 20 amps, fused at 30, then the headlights, and driving/fog lights, then in my case the FI computer, then some guys like tunes, well all that is pushing any stock alt these cars came with, so I did a SI17 years ago, and knock on wood it's been fine....rated at 100 amps from factory.....
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I use the DC Control and I love it....

It works just fantastic for me. It only runs the fan as fast as necessary. When I use a/c it kicks on full speed. My temp doesn't vary more than 10°F or 15°F at any time. I got the "filter" that lets you hook it up from the engine compartment.

Since I'm paranoid I also installed a separate relay that will start the fan at full speed if my temps gets to ~197°F. But anyway, I really like that DC Controller.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Anybody who's interested in doing this swap, here is a pretty good article about it. It's the Fordmuscle website, but hey, if you are willing to put a Ford fan in your chevy, you shouldn't be prejudiced about going to a Ford website.

Scott
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 AM
AvRog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Under hood temp issue fixed

Originally Posted by AvRog
Good to know, I do have alot of heat under hood and that has assisted in blowing the 30 Amp fuse I have for the fan. need to rethink my set up.

Thanks Rog.
Hi All, thought you might be interested. I fixed a hole bunch of issues including under hood temp hi. 1969 vacuum advance for ignition timing was changed from manifold source to ported which is above the the throttle plates. This was to support the air pump dumping into the manifold by increasing exhaust temp significantly. Ported advance provides no advance at idle. If you are running headers it makes no sense to have the ported advance. With my 3x2 set up, my idle is now smooth, the car no longer tries to stall when I come to a stop. Performance is unaffected, but the under hood temp is completely gone. I cant stress enough how much better the car is running.
If you have under hood temps, change your advance to manifold if you have a 69 or later. Can't hurt to try. Let me know if it works for you.
Also as we are fooling with ignition timing, its always good to do a complete set up on that while you are there. This should not affect your base timing but it never hurts to be sure.
Later, Rog.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:31 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Anybody who's interested in doing this swap, here is a pretty good article about it. It's the Fordmuscle website, but hey, if you are willing to put a Ford fan in your chevy, you shouldn't be prejudiced about going to a Ford website.

Scott
Does anybody have an opinion about this articles use of just the high speed setting on the fan? Seems like it would simplify the installation. Why bother with the low speed setting?

Scott
Old 12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
AvRog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only set up for the hi speed, works well.
Later, Rog.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Thanks '75...saves me working up the schematics,

I have a couple questions....

The wiring color codes for the Taurus fan...

The 180 and 205 temp switches...anyone got a part number or make year and model,
I hate mail order and I pop in my local stores which are Pep boys, Autozone and Advanced auto parts,...perhaps Napa

Derale sells a 180 switch but who local carries them?

The key board jockeys are in most cases not car people and need to know what you are putting the part on to look it up and can't look up generic parts,
I even had the fellow at Autozone reply to me for asking where the Edlebrock carbs are,
"What's a Carb?"....no, sadly he wasn't kidding
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Here's a napa number

Coolant Fan Switch
Product Line: Echlin Ignition

Part Number: ECH FS300

Price: 27.49 Each

Attributes # Switch Terminals : 1
Coolant Fan Switch Temp Rating : Normally Open, Closes At 185 Deg F.
Coolant Fan Switch Thread Size : 3/8" - 18 MPT
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Below is a copy of what I posted in my own radiator thread, I am reposted it here in the hopes of saving others a few toad pelts,

In addition I really like the wiring diagram '75 posted, I did a copy and had it plastic sealed for down the road but I took the liberty of adding relay codes to it...

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Mind blowing....my car was running hot with stock fan with clutch or flex fan which was worse than stock fan,

As you know I was ready to buy a new aluminum radiator and aftermarket Spal fans,...since it seems that's what the aftermarket has to offer,...but Spal fans are far from the best or best value.
As I always do I got deep In my research on the subject because I didn't want to waste toad pelts and I wanted a cool running car,

I guess most of the rhyme and reason got lost when this thread went more towards whose radiator to buy rather than addressing my cooling problems,
I spoke with a "nameless" vender NOT involved in this thread on the phone the other day and after describing my cooling issues he said "Well, that's good news for you and bad for me as you do not need a radiator"

So after having other of lifes demands in the way it took a few days to get it all set up.... I did my beta testing tonight on my Corvette 4 core radiator and Taurus 2 speed fan,

As I said it was beta so the fan is just clamped in place no sealing of any kind and not pretty like I like things to be but okay for testing.

My 180 degree switch for low side needed an adapter I do not have so I ran low with a toggle and high with the Hayden adjustable thermostat, ( cheap model )

It was somewhat cool out and took a spell of putting around the 'hood to get the car to warm up,
When the needle got between the 2 and 1 of 210 which is straight up on my 69 temp gauge I hit the low speed switch,
Very quickly the temp dropped to the first hash mark before 210 in other words very cool,
I drove around and got on her and it didn't budge, I let it sit at idle about 15-20 minutes and it moved less than a needle mark,

I assumed the high speed of the fan much have been on for it to be so cool now.

much to my dismay and pleasure the low speed was keeping me this cool which means high will do the job in hot traffic with AC ( to be added later on )

These Taurus fans are nothing short of incredible...no aftermarket fan will touch them...period, and I have personally tested many aftermarket fans.

I believe one moral to this story for me is before I give up on ( in this case the radiator ) and just throw money at something to make it work I really should make sure everything is working the best it can,

My hats off to the radiator company who was more concerned with doing me right than selling me a product which prodded me to try this and saved me a pile....
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up a Taurus fan but decided to go with dual ford focus fans. Got an extra Taurus fan for $35 if someone wants it.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I run a Taurus fan on my jeep w/ a SBC 350 and have it run thru a 70 amp relay for the initial start up. It pulls hard a start and then settles down to a more manageable draw. I have mine set up w/ two plugs, one for the high and the other for low. I keep on the low side and cools it fine. The high side pulls a ton of air and will cool the meanest big block w/ air to spare. I got my relay on Ebay. Is a Bosch 70 amp. Big sucker, but have had zero electrical or cooling issues. You can search on Pirate 4x4 too, they have all the info you want. Some guys run two relays and a toggle switch, so you can switch from low to high side in the cab. I just have the plug under the hood, so I have to manually change to get to the high side.

I do run a high output Powermaster alt. (140 amp I think)

Last edited by MalibuVLX; 05-11-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: addtl info

Quick Reply: Ford taurus fan