C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 L89 Berger car value ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 PM
hayabusajohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 L89 Berger car value ???

Was thinking of going to bid on this car. I know it's B-J and will do more than normal,but really want it. What is it worth ?

Thanks for any help guys. Car #1268.1

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&ed=01/23/2010

Last edited by hayabusajohn; 12-26-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 385 Likes on 313 Posts

I get real nervos when I see a car like this cause I want it to! When I see a rare Corvette like this just like any used Car I try to find whats wrong and not whats right. Biggest thing I see is that the Car has no NCRS or Bloomington Judgeing. This is strange as the car has been owned as a Colector car in the past. It sez its got the Protecto Plate Tank sticker and a Berger Sticker on the Air Cleaner but all of these are avalable in reproduction. Maroon is not the most popular Color and dosn't bring the highest Bids. Reggie might of owned it but he's not the one selling it so that dosn't make it worth more. 68's arn't worth as much as 69's. I'd sure like to see the Casting Dates on the Heads. There isn't much qwalk about matching Numbers. Barrett has a High Buyers premium and it's $500 just to get a bidders number. I'll Bet it still brings 100k.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 AM
hayabusajohn
Instructor

Thanks for the help. Is there any other way or person that I could have it checked by before buying it to make sure it is real ? Is there anyone we;; known that might be able to appraise it ?

I know where it is now and am able to view it.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 08:39 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,557 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by hayabusajohn
Thanks for the help. Is there any other way or person that I could have it checked by before buying it to make sure it is real ? Is there anyone we;; known that might be able to appraise it ?

I know where it is now and am able to view it.

Thanks
I would recommend that you contact the local NCRS Chapter in the area in which the car is located and have someone familiar with 68's go over it. There will also be an NCRS presence at BJ. Tough to get a deal in that venue. Good luck
Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Other than being fully restored (and having a Berger Chevrolet sticker on the air cleaner ) or being previously owned by Reggie Jackson, why is this one any better than another of the 623 units built just like it {or maybe just 300+ considering it's a convertible}? Surely you can get a better deal from a private owner than you can at Barrett-Jackson.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM
hayabusajohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by capevettes
I would recommend that you contact the local NCRS Chapter in the area in which the car is located and have someone familiar with 68's go over it. There will also be an NCRS presence at BJ. Tough to get a deal in that venue. Good luck
Would there be a way to get it certified or a letter from NCRS if I have them check it out ?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi J,
At the present time the NCRS does offer an AWARD CONFIRMATION DOCUMENT. This is a the result of a search through the judging records to see if a particular car as been Flight Judged, or presented for BowTie consideration. You receive the confirmation and information.
I'd think through the NCRS you could be introduced to someone qualified to take a look at this car with you. I believe once you hire this person he would be willing to put his evaluation in writing.
One of the NCRS ads says " the best $35 you'll spend". Joining the NCRS and learning about the cars you're interested in before you buy can save a lot of $$$ and heartache.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-27-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi J,
At the present time the NCRS does offer an AWARD CONFIRMATION DOCUMENT. This is a the result of a search through the judging records to see if a particular car as been Flight Judged, or presented for BowTie consideration. You receive the confirmation and information.
I'd think through the NCRS you could be introduced to someone qualified to take a look at this car with you. I believe once you hire this person he would be willing to put his evaluation in writing.
One of the NCRS ads says " the best $35 you'll spend". Joining the NCRS and learning about the cars you're interested in before you buy can save a lot of $$$ and heartache.
Regards,
Alan
Alan is steering you in the right direction my friend....As for a document from the NCRS...NO, plain and simple....However, as Alan has pointed out, whomever you hire to inspect the car should give you his/her results in writing. If, you contact the local NCRS chapter in your area, you might luck out and get a high point national judge for this particular year. Regardless, of what transpires....Having a NCRS judge inspect the car is worth 10 fold as opposed to some fly by night inspector, who will write down anything to impress you. Just some food for thought...that's a lot of monies to be spending without the best eye's on it.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Its a "Reggie car" that is all I need to know about that lot, he had many muscle cars in his collection that were PHONIES! and "solved" his problem with "Jewish Lightning" at his storage area to clean up the inventory.

Insurance paid out and Reggie walked away with even more $$$$ than he already had, GREEDY SOB! The collection was in the process of being moved from Berkeley to Monterey, CA and the clones and phonies were convientley left behind when the fire struck. I wouldn't buy anything from his collection.

Here is a link to the episode of "Jewish Lightning" for those who only thought it happened on the East Coast. Link: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/05/us...e-jackson.html

Last edited by Solid LT1; 12-27-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Here's a link to NCRS if you want to find out if an award is listed. $300.00

Now, the award might have been given years ago and some changes made since then but another tool . Good luck.

http://www.ncrs.org/award/shop.cgi/p...D=PUT_SID_HERE
Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
hayabusajohn
Instructor

Found a top NCRS guy that is going to look at it for me. See what happens.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

And, pardon my ignorance, what makes a "Berger" car so special? I have heard the name before, seen it in ads, but never really have known what they did to 'em. Baldwin, Greenwood, Yenko...okay. But Berger?

Really surprises me that a "real deal" L89 has never been flight judged. I would be very careful with this one. BJ has too many fat cats willing to win the bid at whatever cost. Better off buying a documented and national top flight L89 from a private seller, with no commission involved and no heat of the battle. JMHO.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:48 PM
hayabusajohn
Instructor

Funny

When I asked him if I can send an NCRS inspector there to check it out he stopped returning my calls ???
Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hayabusajohn
Funny

When I asked him if I can send an NCRS inspector there to check it out he stopped returning my calls ???
That is funny....but, you still have your hard earned dollars...and thats a good thing. Better luck next time.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

It is a saturday car. Most are right. If it is what you want I would not give up on it yet. It is the holidays so that could be a very good reason why you haven't been contacted. I would continue trying to contact the seller to make arrangements to have the inspection done. I would not buy the car without the inspection and neither would most buyers so it should not be a shock to the seller you would want this. Good luck
Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 AM
hayabusajohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63mako
It is a saturday car. Most are right. If it is what you want I would not give up on it yet. It is the holidays so that could be a very good reason why you haven't been contacted. I would continue trying to contact the seller to make arrangements to have the inspection done. I would not buy the car without the inspection and neither would most buyers so it should not be a shock to the seller you would want this. Good luck
We have been in contact for 2 weeks now. Every time I have called he has called me back within 1 hour. Left 3 voice mails and it has been Two days now.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 L89 Berger car value ???

Quick Reply: 68 L89 Berger car value ???