C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big block serpentine drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 AM
robwoz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big block serpentine drive

Has anyone used on of these on a c3,

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance...oductId=752514
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I looked at this kit, the thing that had me concerned was how tall the AC and Altenator were. Was not sure it would clear the hood.

There was a thread a little while back were a member had installed this kit and checked the hood clearance and it was fine.

I don't remember who it was.

His car wasn't on the road yet but the engine was installed.

Doesn't say if this kit is a short or long pump, ,may need to find that out.

Neal
Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use a small block set up for less money..

You have to fabricate a few brackets or buy the conversion off ebay for about $130. I got the serp brackets, AC comp, PWS pump and alt for $200 from the local bone yard.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:19 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I commented on a system for a BBC due to that was what was selected within the link provided.

If it is for a SBC than it will work just fine as many here have installed them.

Neal
Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 AM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the March Serpentine system on my SBC. The A/C compressor and alternator are swapped. I had clearance issues with my A/C compressor hitting my shock stud and upper control arm. Not good! Everytime I went over a big bump, the belt ripped and flew away. Solved that by cutting a few inches off of the shock stud and switching to Vette Brakes upper tubular control arms. There will be bugs, but now that I've suffered through them, I love the set-up. The passenger side of the engine compartment has halla room and the drivers side engine access is not much different with the A/C compressor there. My A/C is the new Vintage Air conversion so the A/C compressor is smaller which makes it somewhat similar in size to the alternator. You will probably have better luck with a factory serpentine system. I've got a low clearance big block hood (1970) with absolutely no clearance issues. Hope this helps some. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

That system looks great. Seems from other posters it can be done relatively cheap with some mods. It seems no matter what one you go with you have to mod it to fit the vette.

I have the Front Runner from Vintageair.com. Its very expensive but comes with all the accessories and brackets. It also keeps all of the accessories in front of the motor (nothing hangs over the valve covers or protrudes out past them).

I did notch my crossmember so that the crank pulley would not come close to it. I also had to indent my power steering pump for clearance by the control arm mounts.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso

You have to fabricate a few brackets or buy the conversion off ebay for about $130. I got the serp brackets, AC comp, PWS pump and alt for $200 from the local bone yard.
I've done this too! I bought the adapter brackets from the ebay seller. I can't seel that he's still selling his adapter brackets.

I bought the Small Block serpentine kit to use, with the adapter brackets, on my Big Block. I don't think you want the Big Block Serpentine kit sold in the GM Performance Parts catalog. The brackets are CAST IRON and very heavy. The Big Block Serpentine system weighs a total of 105 pounds. The Small Block with it's aluminum castings is much lighter. About salvage yards...the GM Performance Parts Small Block Serpentine System was what was installed on 1990 and 1991 Camaros and Firebirds and very similar to Serpentines on other GM Small Block engines.

I replaced my crank pulley, PS pully, water pump pulley with March aluminum pulleys. I used a slight underdrive crank pulley from March. I think the Serpentine kit crank pulley is too large in diameter. Their crank pulley is one sold for a BB Chevy truck underdrive set up. I bought a Edelbrock reverse rotation aluminum pump to replace the kit long cast iron pump.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 02-08-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by damoroso
How the fit of your BB Serpentine kit with the hood? Are you able to use the stock BB hood? I was concerned that I might have to get a L88 hood, and even then worried that that might not fit either.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brando1118
I have the March Serpentine system on my SBC.
The March BB Serpentine kit requires you to cut a hole in your frame crossmember to clear the crank pulley. The March kit is big $$$ and they wouldnt consider making a smaller diameter crank pulley for me. As I mentioned in another post in this thread, they do sell a small crank pulley for a Chevy truck BB underdrive set up, but that pulley won't fit on their Serpentine system !!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

The serp set up is fine under the hood, but I have an L88 hood from Ecklers on the car. I believe this would fit under a stock BB hood though...
Old 02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
iree75
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
The March BB Serpentine kit requires you to cut a hole in your frame crossmember to clear the crank pulley. The March kit is big $$$ and they wouldnt consider making a smaller diameter crank pulley for me. As I mentioned in another post in this thread, they do sell a small crank pulley for a Chevy truck BB underdrive set up, but that pulley won't fit on their Serpentine system !!
The march kit is a bolt on.. I made no modifications to my frame. You do have to run a GM Type II P/S pump with a remote reservoir... I sourced some of this including the W/P and Sanden A/C from Summit to save a few $$.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iree75
The march kit is a bolt on.. I made no modifications to my frame. You do have to run a GM Type II P/S pump with a remote reservoir... I sourced some of this including the W/P and Sanden A/C from Summit to save a few $$.

Is your engine a Big Block? If it's a Big Block, I wish I would have know about this a few months ago. Best I can tell the engine in the photo is a Small Block.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Stu's81
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats definetly a BBC.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Here are a few shots of the Vintage air setup on BB.

I didn't have the power steering pump on when the picture was taken but its on now with a slight modification.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mysixtynine
Here are a few shots of the Vintage air setup on BB.

I didn't have the power steering pump on when the picture was taken but its on now with a slight modification.
Just beautiful. I wish I had known about this set up. ...However, best I remember when I called them up, the salesman couldn't answer my questions about the need to cut the crossmember or whether the hood would fit. It's a pricey set up, but just paying the money would have saved me a lot of grief if I could just have been assured it'd fit.

Why don't these customer advisors KNOW what they'll selling. Same with Edelbrock, I had maybe $20,000 set aside to fix up my 68. I was interested in one of their crate engines, maybe $8000 or more. They tech advisor got annoyed when I asked them if it'd fit under a 68 Corvette Hood...I had both a SB and BB hood available. He said he didn't know. Since I had my 70 also to fix up, I just bought a ZZ4 for the 68.

I have similar anecdotes for other vendors.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Will these serpentine systems work on a BB if you are using a shock spreader bar?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

It won't fit on mine...

That's a beautiful set up mysixtynine!!

Get notified of new replies

To big block serpentine drive

Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 AM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Funny I was just looking at installing a spreader bar last night.

I can tell the welded spreader bar from VBandP wont work.

I am going to buy the un-welded spreader bar and then turn the attachment points that get welded 90 degrees and move it as far forward as possible. Should work.

If not I will have to make up my own plate to install on the control arm studs that allows me to move the bar further forward.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
iree75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ray Y
Will these serpentine systems work on a BB if you are using a shock spreader bar?
I have the VBandP one on mine. But would not work if I was running a w/p driven radiator fan. I have a Dewitt's/spal setup.

The motor is a 439 (427) BBC.

-Frank
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I've done this too! I bought the adapter brackets from the ebay seller. I can't seel that he's still selling his adapter brackets.

I bought the Small Block serpentine kit to use, with the adapter brackets, on my Big Block. I don't think you want the Big Block Serpentine kit sold in the GM Performance Parts catalog. The brackets are CAST IRON and very heavy. The Big Block Serpentine system weighs a total of 105 pounds. The Small Block with it's aluminum castings is much lighter. About salvage yards...the GM Performance Parts Small Block Serpentine System was what was installed on 1990 and 1991 Camaros and Firebirds and very similar to Serpentines on other GM Small Block engines.

I replaced my crank pulley, PS pully, water pump pulley with March aluminum pulleys. I used a slight underdrive crank pulley from March. I think the Serpentine kit crank pulley is too large in diameter. Their crank pulley is one sold for a BB Chevy truck underdrive set up. I bought a Edelbrock reverse rotation aluminum pump to replace the kit long cast iron pump.
What does the conversion bracket look like? I have a serp set up off of a 99 tahoe that I could use on the 72 BBC I'm doing right now.

Quick Reply: big block serpentine drive