C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big block serpentine drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Frank. I have a DeWitts w/ dual Spal fans as well so I should be good to go.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM
rbat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BB serpentine

Check out the site below. Car craft explains this pretty well and gives a list of part numbers needed.

You can purchase the whole sbc serp. kit with all the accessories (including the ac compressor) for under $800 at pace performance (part #12497698), or the BB serp. kit with all the accessories (including the ac compressor) Part #19172805 for just a little less ($770).

I am not sure if the BB kits brackets are cast iron or the the same as the sbc brackets (alum).
Also, I wonder if you do not need the KWIK adapter kit part #K10014 ($130) or BB crank pulley (march part #4351 for $80) if you go with the BB kit; AND most importantly.....will it fit under our hood.

I am ready to choose a serpentine system for my ZZ502 going into a 75 with auto, PS,PB,AC. Lots of the post covering this are a couple years old and it seems the products and options have changed a bit. It would be great to see more pics of the systems used and updates about them (if they would use the same system today or tried something different and why)

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...vy_system.html
Old 02-13-2010, 10:04 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks. Great information
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
rbat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default which adaptor conversion kit

Did you use a Kwik sb to BB conversion kit for the serpentine. If so, did you use a BB long waterpump and what was the part number for the pulleys and water pump?
I am trying to do the same thing (camaro serpentine to a ZZ502 in a 75)

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I've done this too! I bought the adapter brackets from the ebay seller. I can't seel that he's still selling his adapter brackets.

I bought the Small Block serpentine kit to use, with the adapter brackets, on my Big Block. I don't think you want the Big Block Serpentine kit sold in the GM Performance Parts catalog. The brackets are CAST IRON and very heavy. The Big Block Serpentine system weighs a total of 105 pounds. The Small Block with it's aluminum castings is much lighter. About salvage yards...the GM Performance Parts Small Block Serpentine System was what was installed on 1990 and 1991 Camaros and Firebirds and very similar to Serpentines on other GM Small Block engines.

I replaced my crank pulley, PS pully, water pump pulley with March aluminum pulleys. I used a slight underdrive crank pulley from March. I think the Serpentine kit crank pulley is too large in diameter. Their crank pulley is one sold for a BB Chevy truck underdrive set up. I bought a Edelbrock reverse rotation aluminum pump to replace the kit long cast iron pump.

Last edited by rbat; 02-23-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rbat
Check out the site below. Car craft explains this pretty well and gives a list of part numbers needed.

You can purchase the whole sbc serp. kit with all the accessories (including the ac compressor) for under $800 at pace performance (part #12497698), or the BB serp. kit with all the accessories (including the ac compressor) Part #19172805 for just a little less ($770).

I am not sure if the BB kits brackets are cast iron or the the same as the sbc brackets (alum).
Also, I wonder if you do not need the KWIK adapter kit part #K10014 ($130) or BB crank pulley (march part #4351 for $80) if you go with the BB kit; AND most importantly.....will it fit under our hood.

I am ready to choose a serpentine system for my ZZ502 going into a 75 with auto, PS,PB,AC. Lots of the post covering this are a couple years old and it seems the products and options have changed a bit. It would be great to see more pics of the systems used and updates about them (if they would use the same system today or tried something different and why)

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...vy_system.html
A lot of good information here. I'm not sure I'd worry about parts not being cast iron. I'd be more worried about clearing the front cross member. Some folks have had to cut into theirs even with the March conversion kit.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Some answers to several of the above questions:

1) The BB Serpentine kit brackets are cast iron. I bought the BB Serpentine kit from Summit, and when I received it and discovered the brackets are cast iron, I returned it to Summit. (Great customer service for giving me my money back.) Since I had to pay return postage, I saw the package weighed 105 pounds. That included a R4 ac compressor along.

2) The BB and SB Serpentine kits from GM all utilize reverse rotation long water pumps. But the kit pumps are cast iron. I bought a long style reverse rotation water pump from Edelbrock. I have a SB Serpentine kit in my 68 and have the same water pump in it.

3) I have the installation sheet from Kwick Performance. It has drawings of the adapter plates. The drawings are partially dimensioned. (But not dimensioned enough for you to easily duplicate the parts!) PM me with your fax number. I think I can fax to an email address also.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM
rbat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default weight/clearance

I am converting from a sb to BB and trying to keep the weight the same (from sb cast to BB with alum. intake, heads, water pump, brackets/pulleys and exhaust...manifolds to headers) and clearance was also a concern.

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
A lot of good information here. I'm not sure I'd worry about parts not being cast iron. I'd be more worried about clearing the front cross member. Some folks have had to cut into theirs even with the March conversion kit.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 PM
rbat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default it ordered

I already ordered Kwik the kit and just wanted to make sure it would work on the camaro serp. system to BB (zz502) conversion before I ordered the serp. kit.

I heard somewhere if you use it with the BB crank pulley you will need a 1/4 inch spacer.

I can get the camaro kit new, the truck version would be from the junk yard.

Do you have any info on the march pulleys you used?
Some answers to several of the above questions:

1) The BB Serpentine kit brackets are cast iron. I bought the BB Serpentine kit from Summit, and when I received it and discovered the brackets are cast iron, I returned it to Summit. (Great customer service for giving me my money back.) Since I had to pay return postage, I saw the package weighed 105 pounds. That included a R4 ac compressor along.

2) The BB and SB Serpentine kits from GM all utilize reverse rotation long water pumps. But the kit pumps are cast iron. I bought a long style reverse rotation water pump from Edelbrock. I have a SB Serpentine kit in my 68 and have the same water pump in it.

3) I have the installation sheet from Kwick Performance. It has drawings of the adapter plates. The drawings are partially dimensioned. (But not dimensioned enough for you to easily duplicate the parts!) PM me with your fax number. I think I can fax to an email address also.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch your hood clearence too...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 PM
rbat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default getting ready to order

I am trying to follow this correctly so I do not order the wrong parts.

Kwik adapter system
GM performance SB serpentine system (91 camaro & firebird)
March BB underdrive pulley kit (wp, crank, and wp) do you remember the part number?

with this, the pulleys line up, clear the cross member and hood??

I've done this too! I bought the adapter brackets from the ebay seller. I can't seel that he's still selling his adapter brackets.

I bought the Small Block serpentine kit to use, with the adapter brackets, on my Big Block. I don't think you want the Big Block Serpentine kit sold in the GM Performance Parts catalog. The brackets are CAST IRON and very heavy. The Big Block Serpentine system weighs a total of 105 pounds. The Small Block with it's aluminum castings is much lighter. About salvage yards...the GM Performance Parts Small Block Serpentine System was what was installed on 1990 and 1991 Camaros and Firebirds and very similar to Serpentines on other GM Small Block engines.

I replaced my crank pulley, PS pully, water pump pulley with March aluminum pulleys. I used a slight underdrive crank pulley from March. I think the Serpentine kit crank pulley is too large in diameter. Their crank pulley is one sold for a BB Chevy truck underdrive set up. I bought a Edelbrock reverse rotation aluminum pump to replace the kit long cast iron pump.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM
rbat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default ttt

ttt
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
rbat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Camaro serpentine

Has anyone used a 90's camaro setup without shaving the brackets?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default updates and pics.. BIG BLOCK SERPENTINE

im finally ready to either bite the bullet and go vintage-march style master- factory with conversion mods....... Its been a year and a half sinnce this thread was posted to........ Can i get some exacts on what you used and a pic of it installed... and does it clear stock hood...

Im doing a 468 big block in my 1971.. i have aluminum radiator and spal fans... I do have AC/PS/ Alternator... greatly appreciated... someone may have some new ideas and i would like to see and hear what ya got..... thanks in advance....
Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need pics and prices of your BB serp conversion...

need pics and prices of your BB serp conversions.......
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 185 Posts

I started this conversion over a year ago. I used the Kwik adaptor plates and parts from a 1990 small block truck. Everything seemed to bolt up ok except the hood would not close. So I put the serpentine conversion on hold while I did lots of restoration work on the rest of the car. I am hoping that after a year there is a better solution to a big block serpentine conversion.
John
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Street & Performance makes a great system

Big Block Vette

Scroll down to page 7.

This is what I want to get when I get my Vintage Air system. They use the small GM alternator, clock it for you and shave off all the unnessary brackets off of the Sanden compressor. They are a Vintage Air dealer and can get me the rest of the system at a great price as well.

I did a lot of research, and this system is the best I have seen.

I recall I had priced the whole system out at $1,300.00 and the Vintage air system was about $1,100.00 without the compressor. This is polished everything.

Last edited by Curby; 03-31-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Stu's81
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso
You can use a small block set up for less money..

You have to fabricate a few brackets or buy the conversion off ebay for about $130. I got the serp brackets, AC comp, PWS pump and alt for $200 from the local bone yard.
Do you know if I can just swap out the pulley on my 81 pump and use it or should I use the pump for a 92 truck?

Quick Reply: big block serpentine drive