C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Wood1980
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical question

Picked up a 1980 Corvette for a good price, realizing that it is going to need some $ and work. Seats, carpet, rear spring, etc.

First issue was interior lights. The ones in the footwell (driver/passenger), glovebox light, and overhead light do not work. Replaced all bulbs. Still do not work.

Fuses? I checked the fuses under the steering column and they appear to be un-broken? Is there a specific fuse that works the interior lights as it seems odd that all of interior lights do not work (except the dash and console lights)? The owners manual does not denote which one if any?

Next I checked voltage to the overhead light. The orange and white wire each give me 12.48 +/- volts when touching each and to ground. No corrosion on the light connectors. When I test each side of the connector to the light bulb, I receive the same voltage when touching ground.

When I touch the ground from my tester to one side of the light bulb connector and positive connector to the other side of the bulb connector in the overhead light fixture...I receive a zero reading.

What am I missing? Any suggestions?

I apologize in advance for any "simple" questions as my son and I embark on this project to correct this Corvette!

Last edited by Wood1980; 09-04-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:04 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I believe the bulb has power all the time and needs a ground from the door switch to make it light.

Go here for a wiring diagrahm http://www.nrjvette.com/johdotukset/
Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

As 75 said the courtesy lights are looking for a ground to light up. The fuse your looking for is the CLK CTSY fuse (courtesy light fuse) but its going to be OK because you got 12v at the dome light. Try grounding that white wire at the dome light , the courtesy lights should come on.
You haven't said if you tried rotating the headlight switch **** counter clockwise to turn the lights on.
There are 2 more fuses effecting your 80 lights, the GAUGES and Stop Hazard fuse.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Wood1980
Advanced

I should mention that i replaced the passenger door contact switch and for the drivers door I used emory cloth for the contact points to clean the surface (also PB blaster and electric cleaner) of the drivers door switch. I have rotated the headlight switch as well. Emergency flashers work when activated. Still no interior lights except the dash and console (guage & shift indicator) lights.

The white wire for the over head light...I receive a 12.48 +/- signal when I ground the other point to the overhead t-top frame member while piercing the white wire casing -no light though. It appears I am getting power to the light. Replaced all the bulbs with new ones as well.

Am a bit stumped?

Will review wiring diagram - thank you!

The gauge fuse should be fine as all my gauges work and they light up. Am guessing the "Stop Hazard fuse" is the "HAZ FLASHER" fuse? Since my flashers work, the fuse should be fine?

What does the "INST LPS" stand for on the fuse block? It states 7.5 A fuse

Last edited by Wood1980; 09-04-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wood1980
I should mention that i replaced the passenger door contact switch and for the drivers door I used emory cloth for the contact points to clean the surface (also PB blaster and electric cleaner) of the drivers door switch. I have rotated the headlight switch as well. Emergency flashers work when activated. Still no interior lights except the dash and console (guage & shift indicator) lights.

The white wire for the over head light...I receive a 12.48 +/- signal when I ground the other point to the overhead t-top frame member while piercing the white wire casing -no light though. It appears I am getting power to the light. Replaced all the bulbs with new ones as well.

Am a bit stumped?

Will review wiring diagram - thank you!

The gauge fuse should be fine as all my gauges work and they light up. Am guessing the "Stop Hazard fuse" is the "HAZ FLASHER" fuse? Since my flashers work, the fuse should be fine?

What does the "INST LPS" stand for on the fuse block? It states 7.5 A fuse
OH MY, INST LPS Instrument Lamps. You probably should look at the delay timer also.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Wood1980
Advanced

It appears that my "Courtesy Lamp Time Delay Control" behind the glove box is the problem.

GMpartsdirect.com no longer carries the part.

Will call Ecklers or Wilcox to see if they carry the item.

thanks for the replies!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:41 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Wood1980
It appears that my "Courtesy Lamp Time Delay Control" behind the glove box is the problem.

GMpartsdirect.com no longer carries the part.

Will call Ecklers or Wilcox to see if they carry the item.

thanks for the replies!
Here is the best bang for your buck.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=26881
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Wood1980
Advanced

Default Great find Roger!

Much cheaper than other locations! Ordering this morning.

Thanks Roger!

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Here is the best bang for your buck.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=26881
Old 11-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Jodie Moore
Heel & Toe

Default Interior dash lights

while driving my 1980 at night the lights for the tach and speedometer just go out? everything else seems to be working properly any ideas and or suggestions for chasing this down would be great Thanks
Old 11-30-2014, 06:17 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Loose connection for ground or the main connector on the flex circuit on the backside of the dash will do that. Do the center console lights stay on? Could be the dimmer on the headlight switch.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Jodie Moore
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Loose connection for ground or the main connector on the flex circuit on the backside of the dash will do that. Do the center console lights stay on? Could be the dimmer on the headlight switch.
Thanks Six"
The headlight switch was replaced yes the center console lights stay on.Where do I find info on main connector on flex circuit? Does that mean I have to pull the dash apart or take it out?
Mojo
Old 12-01-2014, 09:41 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jodie Moore
Thanks Six"
The headlight switch was replaced yes the center console lights stay on.Where do I find info on main connector on flex circuit? Does that mean I have to pull the dash apart or take it out?
Mojo
Shop Manual or Assembly Manual will have about all you need. DO a search in here, there are many threads on this topic. A few pics will probably show you what you need to know. The connector on the harness plugs into a very cheap connection on the flex circuit and its very old and has likely been removed more than once in the past. The contacts on the circuit are easy to foul up. Yes you will need to remove the gauge cluster to get to the thing, but it also may end up being an easy fix.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Jodie Moore
Heel & Toe

Default Thx 6

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Shop Manual or Assembly Manual will have about all you need. DO a search in here, there are many threads on this topic. A few pics will probably show you what you need to know. The connector on the harness plugs into a very cheap connection on the flex circuit and its very old and has likely been removed more than once in the past. The contacts on the circuit are easy to foul up. Yes you will need to remove the gauge cluster to get to the thing, but it also may end up being an easy fix.
Thanks Six I appreciate the input. Drive safe,be well, happy holidays
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited by Jodie Moore; 12-02-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: more info

Get notified of new replies

To electrical question

Quick Reply: electrical question