C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to trouble shoot 74 starter/electrical

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Andrew74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nooine: where have you been all my life that looks way better really appreciate the info..
Old 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice to know my old posts and website are still helping people.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
phil1963
1st Gear

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
One thing that I've gotten in the habit of checking on these older cars is the ignition switch when all of the obvious things check okay.

This switch is clamped together and over time the clamp (actually little metal fingers) can let loose. If the switch isn't held tightly together it will act up intermittently by not allowing power to flow to the starter solenoid.

You can try reaching down to the switch (on top of the column near your feet) and squeezing the switch to compress it as you turn the key. If it appears loose, or you get an intermittent electrical response as you do this, the switch needs to be replaced or worked on.

Also try moving the ignition rod that goes between the key switch (at the top of the column) and the ignition switch along the top of the column. The ignition switch is held onto the column with some small sheet metal screws that can work loose. If they work loose, it will allow the entire ignition switch to move instead of the internal contacts of the switch which can again result in intermittent continuity problems.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Farmdawg
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vettfixr, Add One more to list. Thanks for this Info. I'm chasing a wiring issue now on my '74.

What the hell were they thinking back then?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:46 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Uhh..they were thinking that all new Corvettes would be in the 'boneyard' in 10 years time....

Only folks like us would expect 40+ year-old stuff to still be working.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

If I don't have the relay, do I need to bypass it still? All I have is the orange thing with a black cover on it.

Quick Reply: How to trouble shoot 74 starter/electrical