C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 11:00 AM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips

Hello,

Some of you may have seen my topic on my dist problem........ http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=269253

Well I had a serious vacum leak. So after getting the chores done for the Wife last night, I got to start looking at the car. MY INTAKE DIDN'T SEAL WORTH A CRAP. I've only done this job once before in my life, but I couldn't beleive how bad it sealed. So I pulled everything back off, and cleaned off the silicone, and will go get new gaskets today. Btw my cleaning consisted of using a wire brush to get all the crap off, followed by a wiping down with strong laquer thinner.

1. I used Felpro #1205 gaskets as called for in the instructions with the manifold
2. I DID NOT USE the ruber gaskets that go on the end of the block, behind dist, and above water pump. The previous performer intake did have these on, but the instructions for this manifold said to just use silicone in a 1/4" bead. I did ensure it went all the way to the intake gaskets.

3. I put some extra black hi temp silicone right around the water jackets before putting on the gasket. (Note Silicone was only used here, and at the ends of the block...no where else).

4. I sat the manifold down in the proper position, and let it sit for about 15 mins.

5. I put in the bolts, going from center to ends and crossing over as shown in the instructions (don't recall exact numbers off top of my head). I tightened the bolts in 3 steps following same pattern. I also put a dab of black silicone on the ends of the threads.

Anything I'm missing? Should I use the ruber end gaskets and ignore the intake instructions as it worked with my performer before? How long should I let Black Permatex Silicone set up before tightining? Should I give it some time before I sit the manifold on top of it? Should I be applying the silicone anywhere else other than around the water jackets and at the ends?

Any help/tips appreciated. Obviously I screwed something up on the last attempt :bb ....hopefully I get it right this time.

Old 04-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (ZORA_RULES)

Are you using the silicone in the squeeze tube or in cheese wiz can? One is different than the other. I also would place the gaskets on the heads and drop the intake down. Measure the gap, so you can estimate the bead size. Some are larger than others. Send me an IM if you need help one evening this week.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:31 AM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (Budman78)

Hey Budman,

I used the Black High Temp Permatex Stuff in the tube. I went with black, primarily because my block is that color. I'll IM you.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Buy the stuff in the can from Autozone or GM even sells it. It is like glue.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:56 AM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (Budman78)

Do you happen to know the name of it....I assume its in the same section with the other glues/silicones.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:13 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

One of the biggest mistakes happens when you set the manifold down on the engine. Take your time when you do this and drop it straight down making sure the gasket don't move. If they do you will have to do it again
Old 04-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Hey Dude
Just a question to throw at ya. Could the previous owner possibly have had the heads milled and the block decked? If so the intake may have been matched to fit. Hope thats not the case for both our sakes. Other than that I think everyone has covered just about everything. Take your time drink a beer and just cool off and it'll all come together. Maybe ya just need a breather for a day or two. You'll get it.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:44 PM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (Armstrong)

Hey Armstrong. Thxs for the thought....I certainly don't think so. But I'll examine more closely. Hopefully I get this going, so I can get you your performer and carter!
Old 04-02-2002, 02:08 PM
John's Shark
Racer

I am a first timer too. I just reinstalled my performer 2101 and hope to be in a position to fire mine up this weekend so I may be looking for help as well. The Edelbrock site has some install tips you may want to check. It recommended using Gasgacinch to glue the gaskets to the heads. I did this and don't recall any problems with gaskets moving. I guess I will know soon.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:32 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (John's Shark)

I just renailed my Weiand down abt a month ago......used the rubber gaskets and red RTV sealer. As soon as I put the RTV on, I went to work drawing it down in 3 increments (didnt give the RTV a chance to skin over). Let it set over nite and fired it up the next day. Am now drawing 17 in of vacuum with a warm street cam......I was also a 1st timer and just got lucky I guess....You'll get it :seeya
Old 04-02-2002, 03:00 PM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (John's Shark)

Thxs TNT and John. Will do. Hey John, I see your a "Bean Counter" (as we love so much) as well. Good to know there's another one in to cars....seems few and far inbetween. I'll get it...thanks for the tips.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:55 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

ZORA_RULES
It sounds like you are following every step to a "T" I noticed the biggest mistake people make when using Silicone is they do not read the directions on the tube, some Silicones must be applied and let stand for at least 8 to minutes before placing the manifold, if you skip this step the silicone will not set properly and you will have leakes.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:58 PM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (73-454)

73. Well I got the stuff Budman recommended at lunch for tonight. It sprays out in a can....and says it sets up in under 5 mins and is ready for use. It should be good stuff, considering it was $14 for a realtively small spray can.

Did you take on the Z06 yet?
Old 04-02-2002, 04:30 PM
John's Shark
Racer

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (73-454)

Zora,

Yeah, I am a bean counter. I have a red 71 roadster. First vette, second muscle era car. I have owned for 2 years now. Restored the interior last winter and tackling the engine bay this winter/spring. Hope to be finished soon. Hope it starts. Was running well before I started. Have learned lots from fellow forum members.

John
Old 04-02-2002, 04:30 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use cheap gaskets and permatex sealant, hasn't leaked yet!
The expensive Felpro ones always leak :mad
Old 04-02-2002, 04:32 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZORA Rules:

Maybe it's too late, but suggest you get some fine emery cloth, and 'buff' both the new intake manifold surfaces and the surfaces on the heads and lifter valley, and then wipe clean again with brake parts cleaner. Also agree that you should 'dry fit' the manifold without any sealant, but with the intake/head gaskets sitting in place, and check to see what kind of gap you have between intake manifold and lifter valley ends on the engine.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2002, 04:54 PM
ZORA_RULES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips (john's '81 mouse)

Got it....only makes since that a lightly ruffed up surface sticks better than perfectly smooth.

Get notified of new replies

To In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips

Old 04-02-2002, 05:55 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, that's the theory anyway! Good luck!
Old 04-02-2002, 08:02 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Are you running an O2 sensor?

If so, get the silicone rubber sealant that is 02 sensor compatible..
I leanred the hard way!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 04-02-2002, 08:24 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

ZORA_RULES
The weather is still a bit crazy in the Toronto area, not many vettes out yet, as a matter of fact I have not seen any C3's yet. I have been on the road since Feb. I set my timming at 14-BTC and this thing picked up goobs of more HP. I am looking for a Dyno shop that can tune this Monster. No point trying to set it to factory specs with tha Cam and thanks to the Forum members I found out that I have a 70-454 not a 73 as I thought.

Quick Reply: In Need of FULLPROOF Intake Installation Tips