C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem With Telescopic SW Function

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Fight on SC
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With Telescopic SW Function

I replaced the drivers side dash pad, the steering wheel and horn assembly were removed.The shaft lock plate I left in place, when the replacement was done, I could not replace the two plastic upper spacers, and the upper bumper. The space is no longer there, does the upper shaft colapse in to it self.

The tele lock ring and two screws, and the steering hub to shaft mounting nut and washer were replaced. I have checked that the steering wheel is tight, by backing off the mounting nut. And pulling up on the steering wheel.

How do I resolve this issue. Thank you in advance for your help

Peter
Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, the upper steering shaft telescopes into the steering column head. The two plastic spacers and the rubber bumper go on the upper steering shaft between the steering column locking plate and the steering wheel hub. You just need to loosen the star screw and pull on the shaft (or star screw) to get the upper shaft to pull out.

BTW, some people intentionally remove the bumper so that the steering shaft telescopes an bit further into the column and provides a little more reach to the steering wheel rim.

One last observation: You didn't mention what year Corvette we are dealing with. On all Corvette T&T columns, 1970 through 1982, (the exception being the 1969 T&T), there is a plastic retainer on top of the locking plate. This retainer is GM #7808385 and is available from many Corvette suppliers. The original retainer usually crumbles and breaks into pieces when you try and remove it from the steering shaft. That retainer is quite important for two reasons:
1. It secures the metal C-clip. If the C-clip was dislodged the entire steering wheel, hub, and upper steering shaft could come right out of the column head. Not a pleasant thought when driving down the highway.
2. The retainer also acts as an electrical insulator. Without the retainer, the big telescope spring that is attached to the steering wheel hub would touch the metal locking plate and your horn will blow continually.

Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
On all Corvette T&T columns, 1970 through 1982, (the exception being the 1969 T&T), there is a plastic retainer on top of the locking plate.
Jim, do you know why the 69 was different. I have a 69 T/T column and could never figure out why the plactic part you refer to never fit properly into the column.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The 1969 T&T column locking plate has a rubber cover that insulates it from the telescope spring. I think that GM and Saginaw looked at the c-clip connection on the T&T column and determined that a plastic cover over the clip would insure that the clip could not come out. It was then an easy task to design the "wings" on the retainer to prevent the telescope spring from touching the metal locking plate. So the retainer provides two functions, safety and also insulation of the telescope spring from steering column metal parts.
Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The bare metal locking plate 7811995 was the same 1969 through 1982. However, in 1969 there was a rubber insulator that was attached to the face of the plate. The real difference in 1969 was in the carrier assembly 7805529 (aka the cancelling cam) that stuck through the plate with the horn contacts. It was a 1969 (one year only) design. The carrier 7811996 was new in 1970 along with the plastic retainer 7808385. Both were used from 1970 through 1982.

I don't have any real details on the differences between the carriers. Since the holes in the locking plate are the same 1969 through 1982, I am surprised that the retainer doesn't work with the 1969 carrier.

Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jim for the detailed response and for helping me understand why my 69 column always seemed so different from others.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Fight on SC
Heel & Toe

Default Problem Telescopic SW Function

My Vette is a 1977 , and the horn contact lock plate mounting clip is in good condition. If I'm unable to pull out the upper shaft: Should I slide a large socket over everything, and tighten down a bolt to free it up?

Peter
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Peter,
I don't know what a "horn contact lock plate mounting clip" is.
Are you this far into your T&T column?

Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Fight on SC
Heel & Toe

Default Problem Telescopic SW Function

It sits on top of the shaft lock plate, on page 158 of Dr Rebuild's catalog volume 31.They call it a horn contact lock plate mounting clip retainer, it's a plastic star shaped part.With 5 prongs that pops on the shaft lock plate.

I have the 1977 shop manual covering all of GM products for that year, the Chiltons repair guild.

Peter

Last edited by crossram; 10-18-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: non supporting vendor mentioned
Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The part you reference in Doc Rebuild's catalogue is officially called a Carrier Snap Ring Retainer, GM #7808385. I call it a C-Clip Retainer. So unfortunately the same part carries several different names.

You should be able to just pry the retainer off of the lower steering shaft. Most old retainers will break into several pieces when you try to remove them.

You didn't mention as to why you are disassembling your T&T column. I might suggest that my T&T Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Paper(s) might be of greater help than the Chilton's manual.

Go to www.corvettefaq.com
Click on Steering Papers
Click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
Click on Corvette Steering Papers
Scroll down to the Tilt & Telescoping Steering Column Section
Download Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1, #2, and #3.
Download Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly Instruction Pics #1, #2, and #3.

Papers #1 cover the removal of the steering wheel and the replacement of the lock cylinder and key buzzer switch. That might be all that you need.

Jim
Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Tankertoad1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jim,
I just opened my column on a '76 T/T to replace the turn signal switch. One of the screws that held the old switch in was stripped. In fact I had to use an extractor to get it out. I saw on another one of your posts that it is a metric screw and the call out number.
Where can I find one of these? No luck so far at the usual vendors or web search. There are three total and I am considering leaving one screw out. The other choice is a Bubba solution. I bought 4 similiar screws from the hardware store but none is the exact match for size or thread pattern. Thought I would gently ease one it and try not to bugger the threads.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Problem With Telescopic SW Function

Quick Reply: Problem With Telescopic SW Function