C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace heater/AC blower motor/fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tyancey00
auto zone.
Found it, thanks! They call it a 'blower motor wheel', couldn't find it untill I drilled down from AC parts
Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 PM
conway62
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of what the spacer looks like and where it goes?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM
conway62
Pro

Is anyone makeing these spacers?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

not that i know of, some have used the white plastic cutting boards like walmart has in the kitchen acc. section.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
conway62
Pro

Hmmmmm. Seems like so many are interested in this upgrade that someone would be making them. Oh well, guess I'll give it a go and see what happens...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Rick_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got my AC working again had to replace the Control Assembly. It had quit working in September then it cooled off so I moved repairing down the list. I noticed that the blower wasn't all that strong (have only had my '79 since July) so I did a search on here and found this thread. I gave the 12 gauge wire ground trick a try. I attached the wire to my compressor bracket and sure enough it almost doubled the blower speed. Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted the info.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM
TIGRRRRR
Intermediate

I have to say you folks are saviors! The fan in my 72 coupe has never blown well. I was considering changing out the blower motor and squirrel cage to a C4 (which sounds like a real PITA) but decided to try the short cut of changing out the grounding wire. Makes sense since amps in equals amps out the larger gauge wire should help but... Unfreaking believeable it worked like a charm. The blower works like the fan in my modern car. In the spirit of the KISS principle...Thanks, you guys rock!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I still can't see how that thicker ground wire (looks ~12 gauge) would improve the speed of the fan motor. Power going in is the same. What am I missing?

And why that wiper supplementary ground? Will any nearby ground (e.g. heater core firewall stud) do the job?
I realize this is an old post but I can shed some light on this question.
When current (not voltage) passes through a wire some of the energy (voltage) is used up just to get the current to traverse the wire itself. This is called an "I-squared R loss". Mathematically... power(W)=volts(E)* current(I) or W=EI. Ohms law.. voltage(E)=current(I)* resistance(R). E=IR. Substitue IR for E in W=EI and you get W=IRI or W= I-squared R. This is a measure of the power lost just in the ground wire. The resistance "R" is lower for a larger cross-sectional wire. The bigger the wire, the lower it's resistance. So... when you lower the resistance by installing a bigger diameter wire, the "I-squared R" power loss across the blower motor ground wire goes down, and there is more power available for the motor to use. That is... the voltage drop across the ground wire is less with a bigger diameter ground wire so there is more voltage available at the motor, and since it's a DC motor, the higher voltage means it spins faster. Another every day example would be an electric weed-whacker... plug it directly into an outlet and watch it work. Now plug it into a 200 foot extension chord and watch it not work so well. This is due to the I-squared R loss in the extension chord.
The following users liked this post:
mtydings (07-06-2021)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
TIGRRRRR
Intermediate

Tom454, thanks for the excellent official scientific explanation, no more guessing. Now one final thing...is there a detrimental effect on the motor?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TIGRRRRR
Tom454, thanks for the excellent official scientific explanation, no more guessing. Now one final thing...is there a detrimental effect on the motor?
In my opinion... and this is only an opinion... the motors should have been designed by GM to run on 12(battery)-14(charging) volts... not 10-11 volts. So... the motor should be fine with a better ground. In many cases, when you operate certain motors at less than their designed optimal voltage, they tend to heat up and their life expectancy goes down. I will be installing a bigger ground wire in my 70 since my blower motor runs slow. I don't expect any collateral damage.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM
1933vette
2nd Gear

Default al

i got blower loose but wont come out hits finder well now what
Old 04-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but two things:
1. Has anyone used a 3-D printer to this or any other part yet?
2. Big shout out thank you for the electrical education on both current/resisitance AND underscoring the need to beef up grounds during our restorations.

This thread is a real time saver; thanks again to everyone who participated.

Quick Reply: Replace heater/AC blower motor/fan