C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 intermittent starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM
RAGTOP75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 intermittent starter issue

Just converted my 75 vert to a stock factory BW T-10 and all went well. What's happening is that sometimes the starter engages and somtimes it doesn't. USUALLY is starts better cold but sometimes it doesn't matter, at least it push starts...but it's usally when
I get the "Hey, nice 'vette" with the thumbs up.
There isn't always a "click" from the solinoid when it doesn't crank.
Heat soak??? Fusable link??? Ignition switch on the bottom of the steering column?
Sure could use your help!
Thanks, Larry
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I had a 1976 L-82 many years ago. I had a starting problem as well. It turned out to be the starter/solenoid would get hot and not engage till it cooled. A friend of mine at the time fashioned a sheet metal shroud that fit around the starter. Problem solved. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The S terminal needs 12v when you turn the key to START ,do you know if it is getting 12v when it is failing to start ?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM
tortisevette
Advanced

put a mini starter in.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 PM
RAGTOP75
Instructor

Thanks for you replys guys.
Here is what I did.....I dropped the starter and re-installed the starter shim that I didn't put back in...and I snipped off the less-than-perfect G.M. connector at the red starter wire and added a stake-on pinch connector. I don't know which change gave me success but the starter now cranks everytime.
I am going to wrap the headers in heat wrap just to reduce the heat under the hood and that will be good just to get rid of it.
Thanks again, Larry
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
tsbruce
1st Gear

Default 1976 starter overheat? issues

Same issue with my 76. I put in a small form factor starter, and when hot, it was dead. Let it cool off and all was ok, and sometimes had to tap the starter as if it had a flat spot and yes, sometimes not even a click. Wrapped in a starter blanket to help with header heat, seemed to help for about 2 months longer than the other starter, now doing the same thing again. I am about to install the 3rd starter in 3 months....not out any money as Ecklers handles well and credits my purchase, but it is aggravating, and as noted, usually occurs while someone is complimenting the car. Am placing a call to NSA (starter manufacturer) to see if they can offer any advice. Will post if anything good from them.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

clean the short negative ground frame connection under the seat to the battery....starters do not operate once and then later don't work and by magic restart....ALL STARTERS get hot and are built to withstand heat and work in spite of heat....and your on your third starter!. .....forget that back alley phrase of heat soak and clean up your battery connections....cars will seek ground anywhere it can find it, and not always is it sufficient to roll a engine over fast enough to start.......
Old 10-28-2012, 01:55 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
clean the short negative ground frame connection under the seat to the battery....starters do not operate once and then later don't work and by magic restart....ALL STARTERS get hot and are built to withstand heat and work in spite of heat....and your on your third starter!. .....forget that back alley phrase of heat soak and clean up your battery connections....cars will seek ground anywhere it can find it, and not always is it sufficient to roll a engine over fast enough to start.......

Often the much mis-diagnosed heat soak is due to excessive resistance (corrosion) in the wiring circuit from the distribution block to the crank switch, to the connector(s), and finally to the starter solenoid. Fix this and it'll crank!

Test case: Install an extra starter pushbutton under the hood wired directly with 12 gauge wires to the "S" terminal and to the battery terminal on the solenoid. Whenever it won't crank, open the hood and press this button - betcha it's not heat soak!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 intermittent starter issue

Quick Reply: C3 intermittent starter issue