C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passing gear linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 PM
McVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default passing gear linkage?

Ok guys I just noticed my passing gear linkage was not hooked up on the vette I just bought a couple weeks ago, the motor is a crate motor that was put into car about 2 years ago and driven less than 2000 miles. I am wondering if it was left off by accident or could there be some reason why it was left disconnected, also the springs to pull the throttle back was also left off, that is part of the reason why i think maybe it was left off by whoever installed motor....just wondering if there is anything I might need to look for before i hook it back up. I will try and post a couple of pics in case I did not describe it clear enough here.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:53 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

What transmission are you running? TH350 will have a mechanical linkage from the carb to the trans. TH 400 will not. It's kickdown is electronically controlled, either at the carb, or more commonly, at the accelerator pedal.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by McVette
...just wondering if there is anything I might need to look for before i hook it back up...
The AIM shows the installation. Purchase the AIM and take a look at the diagrams.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
McVette
Racer

its a TH350 and I was just asking if there was any known issues of any problems that someone would know of why it would have been left off............or by accident

Last edited by McVette; 09-12-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM
vittetoetim@yahoo.co
3rd Gear

i have an 82 CFI i just bought also and was wondering why it has no passing gear, someone said it was the linkage probably not hooked up can anyone explain about this linkage???
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vittetoetim@yahoo.co
i have an 82 CFI i just bought also and was wondering why it has no passing gear, someone said it was the linkage probably not hooked up can anyone explain about this linkage???
That's because they don't know what they're talking about. Your transmission uses a shift cable and a TV cable, it they weren't hooked up, you'd have real problems. The shifter cable selects the "gear" and the TV cable controls pressures in the valve body depending on throttle position, and it's likely not adjusted correctly. This is a critical adjustment, I'm guessing from your question you're not that familar with this trans so, if you take it to a trans shop, they should be able to do the adjustment for you, it'll only take a couple minutes. If everything else is working properly, and they try to sell you a rebuild, you need another shop.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 AM
vittetoetim@yahoo.co
3rd Gear

thanks damaroso youve been the most help.......is this adjustment you are talking about located near the rear firewall? and what they refer to as the ''detent adjustment? ??
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by McVette
its a TH350 and I was just asking if there was any known issues of any problems that someone would know of why it would have been left off............or by accident
Just hook up the down-shift cable, it's no big deal. You set it at WOT or very near. If you have a manual, it should show you how to adjust it. If it's not hooked up, from my understanding, even if you shift the trans into 2nd., fluid pressure will be low and the trans won't perform properly.

Is the correct cable hook-up (linkage) there on the carb
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

There is a clip on the cable at the bracket on the carburetor. Open the clip, have someone completely depress the gas pedal to the floor, make sure no floor mat is in the way, and then close the clip while the pedal is still to the floor.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by vittetoetim@yahoo.co
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1581856825

Get notified of new replies

To passing gear linkage?

Quick Reply: passing gear linkage?