C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Joshharvey
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior restoration

Just a few quick questions regarding interior restoration.

1. For redying seats can you use SEM vinyl dye?
2. Is it possible to re dye the carpets without removing them?
3. Can you also use SEM vinyl dye on the carpets?
4. For the shifter console housing, park brake console, dash, and door panels what kind of dye should you use? ie SEM again?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

you can get the spray dye from any of the corvette parts places. that is what i did. it will match. I would replace the carpet and put in some insulation under it. You will be very happy your did... unless you are just "painting" the interior so you can sell it.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Lots of choices...some good, some not so good. Yes, you can use SEM "ColorCoat" to recolor all the plastic/vinyl/leather/rubber items you want.

I much prefer to get liquid SEM mixed to correct interior color code at a pro auto paint supply store (not your local parts place). It can be sprayed using your equipment, or...if you don't have any...with a PreVal bottle/gas canister sprayer purchased at the same store for less than $10. Buy 3 or 4 extra gas canisters to be sure you can spray with good pressure when you shoot.

Recoloring your interior is easier than making a peanut butter & jelly sandwich! You just need to clean all the old oily cr@p (Armor-All, etal ) off the seats with detergent and water, rinse very well, dry completely and shoot. SEM is very 'forgiving' and dries smooth, even if you get a run; don't wipe it, just let it dry. Two light, covering coats is all you will need, unless you are changing from black to white (which you can do with no problem).

SEM makes spray cans of ColorCoat. But, my experience with them is that the resulting finish is 'duller' than that of liquid SEM. Also, the cans are pretty expensive when compared to buying a liquid pint, a PreVal sprayer, and 3 extra gas canisters. You can do the entire interior with a pint of SEM; it might take 6 or more spray cans to do the same thing.

Just my 2 cents about the "dye" process.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Joshharvey
6th Gear

Thanks for your suggestions, is it a difficult job to remove the interior? I assume the seats and dash wouldn't be do difficult but i assume the carpet may be trickier
Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Actually, once you remove the seats and seat belts, the carpet will just lift out. There are separate pieces for the right and left side.

I suggest that, if you don't already have one, buy a copy of the A.I.M. (factory Assembly Instruction Manual) for your year car. It has all the detail on components assembly process via drawings, with part numbers detailed. It is invaluable for doing the kind of work you are considering.

The removal process is not complicated; you can do it with a couple of screwdrivers and an adjustable wrench. But, you have to do it in the right sequence, as some pieces retain other pieces from being removed. That is the benefit of the AIM; it will show you how these pieces fit together.

Unless you have other reasons to do so, I would suggest that you NOT remove the upper dash and the left dash pad (with the tach/speedo), if they are still in decent condition. They are more trouble to remove and can be damaged beyond repair in the process. And, once you get the other interior parts out of the car, you can clean those 'in place', mask the windshield, and spray new dye on them as they sit. Much easier than removing them...and putting them back in! If you need to do other 'things' behind those dash pieces, alter that process as you need.

There is a significant amount of "time" that will be consumed redoing your own interior. But, it is relatively easy work and you can save a TON of money, compared to having it done for you. DO NOT replace any interior parts that can be reused..even if you have to make minor repairs to them. Replacement parts do not fit as well as the original factory pieces, and they are expensive. Some polyester body putty can be used to fill small cracks/tears/chips, and once you put on new dye, you will never see that repair. I was able to reuse all but 2 pieces of my original interior; and one of those I replaced with a good used part (instead of buying a 'new' aftermarket piece). Once it was all cleaned and new dye was sprayed, the interior looked just like it came from the factory.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: people say they dye carpet and get good results. Several sources I've read say redying carpet takes too much work to get the new color even. Easier, quicker, and better looking overall to replace the carpet with the color you want.

Look at it this way: if your existing carpets are bordering on being ratty, why dye them?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go with dying all, but I also think you should put in new carpet, you will be much happier, with the final results, since you are taking everything else out to dye them, the carpet replacement will be simple.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jh,
I'll only add that you need to be gentle with ALL the interior parts, but especially the dash pads and window trim.
Those parts, if original, will be quite dry and brittle from age, and thus pretty easy to damage.
It's better to be very careful and reuse those parts rather than purchase new because often the fit and finish on the new parts isn't very good.
Also, take the time to bag and label the fasteners because there are many screw sizes, lengths, head styles and finishes. It's nice to know exactly what screw goes where when you start reassembly.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Joshharvey
6th Gear

There is a car restoration service that offers re dyeing of carpets, seats, and vinyl for roughly $10/sq. ft, what are your thoughts on this?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Joshharvey
There is a car restoration service that offers re dyeing of carpets, seats, and vinyl for roughly $10/sq. ft, what are your thoughts on this?
Why pay them $10+ when you can do it yourself?

Next question: how many square feet are inside a C3? How they gonna figure that out?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
BTGRN75
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Actually, once you remove the seats and seat belts, the carpet will just lift out. There are separate pieces for the right and left side.

I suggest that, if you don't already have one, buy a copy of the A.I.M. (factory Assembly Instruction Manual) for your year car. It has all the detail on components assembly process via drawings, with part numbers detailed. It is invaluable for doing the kind of work you are considering.

The removal process is not complicated; you can do it with a couple of screwdrivers and an adjustable wrench. But, you have to do it in the right sequence, as some pieces retain other pieces from being removed. That is the benefit of the AIM; it will show you how these pieces fit together.

Unless you have other reasons to do so, I would suggest that you NOT remove the upper dash and the left dash pad (with the tach/speedo), if they are still in decent condition. They are more trouble to remove and can be damaged beyond repair in the process. And, once you get the other interior parts out of the car, you can clean those 'in place', mask the windshield, and spray new dye on them as they sit. Much easier than removing them...and putting them back in! If you need to do other 'things' behind those dash pieces, alter that process as you need.

There is a significant amount of "time" that will be consumed redoing your own interior. But, it is relatively easy work and you can save a TON of money, compared to having it done for you. DO NOT replace any interior parts that can be reused..even if you have to make minor repairs to them. Replacement parts do not fit as well as the original factory pieces, and they are expensive. Some polyester body putty can be used to fill small cracks/tears/chips, and once you put on new dye, you will never see that repair. I was able to reuse all but 2 pieces of my original interior; and one of those I replaced with a good used part (instead of buying a 'new' aftermarket piece). Once it was all cleaned and new dye was sprayed, the interior looked just like it came from the factory.
I agree although I'm glad I replaced my door panels. Although they are expensive,they fit decent. I also transfered the (real)wood inserts after I refinished them.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM
kirt8548
Instructor

Originally Posted by tyancey00
you can get the spray dye from any of the corvette parts places. that is what i did. it will match. I would replace the carpet and put in some insulation under it. You will be very happy your did... unless you are just "painting" the interior so you can sell it.
I agree. I've replaced the carpets and put down hush mat for the noise and heat barrier. In a word.......worthwhile.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone with pictures of their seats before and after dying? My leather seats are in good shape, just need a touch up of black coloring to bring them back to new.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior restoration

Quick Reply: Interior restoration