C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan motor question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fan motor question

Has anyone ever changed there fan motor. I'm getting ready to pull mine out and replace it. Hopefully with a biger motor. The stock motor sucks. I've got the hot water shutoff working and the A/C blows cold. The fan just dosen't push the air through the vents hard enough. If anyone has a trick I should know about before I start. It would help me a lot to know before I start.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:31 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 94 Posts

I did it,but my problem is elsewhere I think a vacuum issue. I'll be watching this post. The biggest pain was finding the little rubber drain tube. I think corvette faqs has a good write up
Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
wnmech
Drifting

There have been many posts on the blower motor replacement here is a link to one of them.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...placement.html
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 PM
CHarper
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

In the process on my 82 now. Don' t know what in the crap happened but when I put the new motor and fan in it works but no air out of vents. Reversed the polarity on the motor but no difference. This would be a half hour job if there were enough room to work. You have to remove the radiator reserve and several other pieces just to get it out. Follow the suggestions in the other post, it is not that big of a deal once you do it.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 94 Posts

Clue us in on your discovery to regain air flow please
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM
CHarper
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

Have not had time to look at it today. Odd thing is I have air flow in the duct work coming in the car. I'm wondering if the increased air flow has closed a door??????? I did not do anything other than change the motor and squirrel cage and make a 1 inch spacer to compensate for the longer cage. Murphy lives with me!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

I'v been told to take out the blower motor from the bottom, taken the wheel off then the inner fender well. My vette is store on a lift all the time. has anyone taken it out that way????? My back will kill me for 2 months if I have to remove it from the top
I thought Murphy lived with me !!!!!

Last edited by Brown78; 10-09-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
CHarper
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

I'm not sure if mine would come out the bottom. It takes some turning to get out from above. Patience and not trying to force it worked best for me. I tried to assemble the motor and fan after it was close but could not align it in the tight space. Like I said it's not that hard when you take your time.

Last edited by CHarper; 10-09-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:21 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brown78
I'v been told to take out the blower motor from the bottom, taken the wheel off then the inner fender well. My vette is store on a lift all the time. has anyone taken it out that way????? My back will kill me for 2 months if I have to remove it from the top
I thought Murphy lived with me !!!!!
The inner wheel well doesn't just come off, but I've repaired a few that people have cut out for A/C access.

If you have a/c, it out won't come out the bottom without causing much more grief.
It's really not that bad from the top, take your time, do it in stages if necessary.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
CHarper
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

An advantage to removing the radiator reserve to get the fan out is that you get the opportunity to clean out the bottle. Mine had 29 years of gunk in it so now it's clean to match the new radiator.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CHarper
An advantage to removing the radiator reserve to get the fan out is that you get the opportunity to clean out the bottle. Mine had 29 years of gunk in it so now it's clean to match the new radiator.
I don't think I could ever clean that reserve. Buy a new one.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 374 Likes on 357 Posts

Default Access was difficult on my '74 until i removed the A/C housing.

I imagine u have the AC housing in the way of the blower too. Well if your blower is working but airflow is to low it could mean the ductwork seals are gone - in that case u would want to remove the A/C housing to reseal. When my '74 was blowning hot air all the time i found out why by removing all the ductwork inside the people compartment and opening the A/C housing in the engine compt. The original foam seals for the ductwork were shot and crumbled away.
Now the A/C housing is sealed with what they call "Monkey Poopie". After handling that brown monkey stuff i replaced mine with blue RTV - may not endure as long but i still expect long life using RTV.
But once that A/C housing is off access to the fan is nothing - at least on my '74 - and thats why i replaced my blower motor at that time even though still operating. Hey i had to reuse the original fan anyways.
I bought my ductwork seals from Dr. Rebuild - though he won't do business with me now. But u may be able to cut your own seals once u ID the type of foam and just use 3M trim spray adhesive.

BTW thats a great looking C3 and it must make a lot of C6 drivers jeoulous steve,
cardo0
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

i added a heavier ground wire to my motor, and it was like having an extra speed on the switch

Get notified of new replies

To Fan motor question

Quick Reply: Fan motor question