C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature Gauge and Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:38 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My WT203Z worked great for me. But with my new engine and heads I needed a smaller thread. I know Willcox will turn down my original but since it seems hard to find a good working one, I didn't want to chance that using my original as test bait for a friends friend who can also turn it down to the size I wanted.

So I went and looked for a WT230Z and apparently they aren't made any longer. I sent an email to SMP Corp who makes these and asked them why. Here is the response I got back from their marketing mgr:

Functionally the WT203, WT203P, and WT203Z are the same. The specs that I have here for all of them is 368 Ohm at 100 degrees F and 80 Ohm at 220 degrees F. The difference lies in the quality. The WT203 is our premium quality part, while the WT203P and the discontinued WT203Z are our standard quality value line.
So even if you found a good quality one, according to their specs, it won't be right as we need 80 ohms around 210 not 220.

Not sure if that helps anyone but I thought it was good info to share.

SL
Old 05-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Basque32
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I too have been through this whole issue with the temp Gauge on my 73. I replaced the sending unit with one from Ecklers but the gauge would not move. Did all the tests, show the gauge is good so I bought the Willcox variable resistor and set my gauge to be close using a temp gun reading off of the sender base. I also bought a new gauge from Willcox but didn't use it, so another new part goes on the shelf
Old 05-15-2015, 11:42 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
My WT203Z worked great for me. But with my new engine and heads I needed a smaller thread. I know Willcox will turn down my original but since it seems hard to find a good working one, I didn't want to chance that using my original as test bait for a friends friend who can also turn it down to the size I wanted.

So I went and looked for a WT230Z and apparently they aren't made any longer. I sent an email to SMP Corp who makes these and asked them why. Here is the response I got back from their marketing mgr:

So even if you found a good quality one, according to their specs, it won't be right as we need 80 ohms around 210 not 220.

Not sure if that helps anyone but I thought it was good info to share.

SL
I have preached for years... None of the after market senders are correct. You might get lucky and find one from time to time that is close, but there will never be a 100 percent correct sender like the old GM sender was.

As recently as two years ago, I tested each and every brand on the market. Once completed, we then cut the tops out of them to test the components (thermister) inside. (Including the one that says that it has oil in it, it didn't) We have tested each of these same brands and not one worked per the original gauge requirements.

So.. instead of trying to re-invent the mouse trap, we made the resistors! The resistor will fix the issue with any sender that is in the ball park close.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:06 AM
2O4F CAPT C3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
Ralph, have you tried the WT203Z? I get very close to the correct 80 ohms at boiling for my '71 as seen here:

SL
Very new to the Forums, even newer 77 Corvette owner.
What does the plug look like that fits over the sending unit? I ask because the water temp guage doesn't work and I dont know what to look for.

Thank you for your help
Old 11-25-2016, 09:34 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I installed a duralast tu66 in my "small hole" vortec heads

....and it reads about the same as my stock sensor (reads cold).
See here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tec-heads.html

It reads about same as my original (big hole) sensor. Since I was able to read temp on my computer controls I've been putting off for years. I was ordering other stuff from Willcox and so I ordered the adjustable resistor.

I should be receiving the Willcox adjustable resistor presently. I should be able to set my temperature gauge quite accurately since I can use the EZ-EFI 2.0 to display the actually temperature(digitally) and then adjust the gauge to match that.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:35 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by carriljc
....and it reads about the same as my stock sensor (reads cold).
See here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tec-heads.html

It reads about same as my original (big hole) sensor. Since I was able to read temp on my computer controls I've been putting off for years. I was ordering other stuff from Willcox and so I ordered the adjustable resistor.

I should be receiving the Willcox adjustable resistor presently. I should be able to set my temperature gauge quite accurately since I can use the EZ-EFI 2.0 to display the actually temperature(digitally) and then adjust the gauge to match that.
There you go..

From the thread posted about Rogers post above... Roger and I talked about this for a long time.... and I'll give Roger props for pushing me to make this item.

With the adjustable resistor you can pretty much run any sender you want... then just dial in the temperature gauge.

When you use the adjustable resistor you make a linear change in the gauge, the trick is getting it adjusted and you can do this with an IR gun or by knowing what thermostat you have in the car and felling the upper hose to open when running. If you have a 180 stat, then when the hose gets hot, dial up 180 on the gauge.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...resistor-77-82

We have a video on our tech page on how to install this too.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...able-resistor/

-Willcox
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (11-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Temperature Gauge and Sending Unit