C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am i getting ripped off by engine builder

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done tons and tons of research prior to building my 1970 351C-4v for another build. I am now very knowledgable, but still technically a novice. I'll be working hand in hand with an engine builder, none of the work will be done unless I am present to watch and learn, and assist. I know specifically what parts I want, and how each affects compression, rpm, airflow, etc., and what machining will produce the best results and how to get the best oil flow and restriction right down to he bearing and valve choice. Slight mill of the heads, .030 bore, etc. Beyond that, I will listen to any suggestions he has, and vet them prior to moving on it. He is very reputable locally, and known to be a perfectionist. We are grinding the cam custom to spec based on the build, but also 351c-4V proven specific duration and overlap, going flat tappet for originality and feel. My build will produce around 450 HP in a motor that revs to 7000 rpm using original heads cleaned / ported with new springs, valves and hardened 3-angle valve seats, original I-beams peened, forged full-skirt flat pistons, original crank, titanium thermal wrapped ceramic headers and a Blue Thunder Shelby intake (there were only two left in the country before the next casting production for the 351c-4v when I bought this one). I'm buying the parts with his wholesalers discount so I know what I am getting and what I am spending. I'm paying the engine builder hourly, and doing the machine work at his shop (at his house, where he has the equipment (he used to own a machine shop). I feel for you, and shudder to think what you are going through. Personally, I would never feel comfortable leaving the process in someone else's hands, even though technically I am a novice. I have at least 100 hours into 351C-4V research, and have even spoken with George Pence President of Pantera Int. Club. Having read your experience just makes me more certain I do not want to leave things in other people's hands. Where My engine is concerned, I am too picky and a perfectionist myself. I would agonize over mistakes, and wrong parts, or not the perfect part. When it's done it will eat pavement. My engine was 300 HP stock. Can't wait to see, hear and feel the improvement.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for troubles.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM
TROPIC_THUNDER
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedawg
If you know what machine shop it was " sent to" you can try to verfy this with them, if the builder is legit he shouldn't be bothered by this.
I agree.. But i think your getting SCAMMED
Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 PM
ex9850
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1976wanderlust - What engine are you rebuilding?

Quick Reply: Am i getting ripped off by engine builder