Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Rear rotor runout?

Old 09-15-2016, 03:25 AM
mysticpete
CF Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim-81 View Post
Here is a thread I did on this (as I was learning)
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...out-shims.html
Jim
Thanks Jim, interesting read, I have measured inner and outer now on all 5 rotor positions possible, the results were not that good for me and as I have a set of the o-ring brake seals I may be forced to use them instead of the lip seals currently fitted.

I set the rotor in position 4 for the Right Rear
Here are the measurements of the inner and outer edges of the rotor:
RR inner: 1/.013, 2/.012, 3/.011, (4/.010), 5/.011
RR Outer: 1/.016, 2/.018, 3/.16, (4/.014), 5/.015

The Left Rear is horrible!

LR Inner: (1/.016), 2/.016, 3/.016, 4/.017, 5/.016
LR Outer: (1/.022), 2/.023, 3/.023, 4/.024, 5/.023

This is by far he worst of the two but neither are great

There are a lot of mobile mechanics here that have the equipment to correct rotor warp in situ and this maybe another option to try and reduce the run out, the hubs were assembled with .002 set so they are pretty close.

Last edited by mysticpete; 09-15-2016 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:14 AM
jim-81
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts

Pete,

The first thing is to get the rotors turned/trued up. Then you shouldn't have any difference between inner and outer readings.

Secondly, maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like you are making this more difficult than it should be. Just take the best position and shim from there. So rotate the rotor to the position where the runout is the least and mark it and use alignment shims to correct that (as good as you can). On mine, I didn't check inner and outer, just outer and they are fine. And I have lip seal calipers.

So, get them turned, then put them on and get the runout the best you can, then shim them to be as good as you can get it. Use the tapered shims. In my case I had to use two on each side to get them to .002. I think I got the shims from rockauto.com.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
mysticpete (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 PM
mysticpete
CF Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim-81 View Post
Pete,

The first thing is to get the rotors turned/trued up. Then you shouldn't have any difference between inner and outer readings.

Secondly, maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like you are making this more difficult than it should be. Just take the best position and shim from there. So rotate the rotor to the position where the runout is the least and mark it and use alignment shims to correct that (as good as you can). On mine, I didn't check inner and outer, just outer and they are fine. And I have lip seal calipers.

So, get them turned, then put them on and get the runout the best you can, then shim them to be as good as you can get it. Use the tapered shims. In my case I had to use two on each side to get them to .002. I think I got the shims from rockauto.com.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I'll go that route and let you know how I get on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear rotor runout?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: