C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 427 Starter Wiring-Pictures Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Albert_69
8th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 427 Starter Wiring-Pictures Needed

I believe the wires going to my starter are incorrect since I have all the classic symptoms I have read about. It would help if someone can post pictures of the correct starter wiring including all the grounds. It is difficult to see and get to so I want to be sure I have all the correct info before working on it-- pictures of correct wiring would really help.

SYMPTOMS:

1. Battery drain
2. Wiper motor is "hot" and only works if I connect a jumper to the chassis. Sparks when ground wire touched to chassis
3. Heater blower motor not working but is "hot" and sparks when ground wire touched to chassis
4. The car starts fine and there are no blown fuses
5. I can see (barely through the exhaust manifold) three wire loops attached to the top solenoid "B" post which is not correct

STARTER WIRING NON HEI- NEED HELP/PICTURES TO CONFIRM:

1) "B" Post on solenoid; not usually marked-- top location--2 gauge--Black color--Goes to positive battery

2) "B" Post on solenoid; not usually marked--top location--12 gauge--Red Color--goes to fuse panel I believe

3) "S" Post on solenoid--closest to engine--12 gauge--Purple--goes to ignition switch

4) "R" Post on solenoid--farthest from engine--20 gauge--Yellow or other color--goes to positive side of ignition coil

5) Ground--starter mount bolt or a bell housing bolt--14 gauge--black

Regards,

Albert
Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 PM
myk7
Pro

Sounds like you have all the info you need. You have 3 wires going to the B post on the solenoid? You only have two listed. One of those is probably the wiper ground which needs to go to a tranny bolt.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Albert_69
8th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

My brother came over and we jacked up the front of the car and re-routed the starter wiring. In particular the black ground wire with the big eye let that I read people (Bubba) mistakenly put on the large positive post of the starter solenoid (just like my car). It is amazing how many of Bubba's sins it fixed:

1. Wiper motor working
2. Heater blower motor working
3. No solenoid clicking sound when you connect & disconnect the battery
4. I suspect no more battery drain, though I am not going to see how long it takes to drain as I always disconnect the battery when not in use with a quick disconnect

There was some collateral damage along the way that I had to fix. The fusible link was partially melted so I replaced that and the ignition coil went bad (car would crank but wouldn't start) so I replace that

Thanks to those who make posts it helps to narrow down the root cause of problems.

Life is good for now--on to the next project which means more $$$!

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 427 Starter Wiring-Pictures Needed

Quick Reply: 1969 427 Starter Wiring-Pictures Needed