C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Control Valve Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by jakvette
Hi ,

Not sure why everyone says remove the pitman arm , unless i am misunderstanding what everyone is saying .

Get yourself a quality ball joint splitter, not a pickle fork ,put it on the ball joint where the valve is joined to the pitman arm , tighten the long bolt and it should break the joint . If it gets really hard to turn the bolt and you feel its going to break or damage something leave it under tension and just give the side of the pitman arm a good blow with a hammer , the shock should break the joint .

Dont forget the way your hoses came off , its important . Unscrew the valve from the steering shaft , fit a new kit , grease the joint and re-fit . Dont forget to centre the valve once you have the engine running and have bled the power steering .

See Jim Shea's thread on power steering , follow his way of doing the job correctly and you wont have any problems at all .

John
the valve threads onto the steering linkage, so you have to remove the pitman arm to unthread the valve. Could you rebuilt it on the car? yes, could you also lose all those cool little pieces that would simply sit in the valve if you took it off and rebuilt it on your bench? that depends - on how familiar you are with a b**tard-child named Murphy.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi ,

Not with you on that one !! i removed my steering valve without removing the pitman arm . Maybe i am misunderstanding people when they say they remove the pitman arm . The arm is removed from the steering box , the valve is broken and removed from the pitman arm .

This is how i took off mine , i took off the pitman arm from the steering box when i unbolted the steering box from the car and put the steering box in a vice to hold it and get a proper puller on the pitman arm .

john

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
the valve threads onto the steering linkage, so you have to remove the pitman arm to unthread the valve. Could you rebuilt it on the car? yes, could you also lose all those cool little pieces that would simply sit in the valve if you took it off and rebuilt it on your bench? that depends - on how familiar you are with a b**tard-child named Murphy.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to steal the thread but I'm doing the same job right now. I just unbolted everything today, disconnected the hoses and will be taking the valve off the next few days.

There is a load of grime and dirt all over the valve, damper and hoses. What is the best way, best product to clean all the components. Can I dip everything in something to make sure the grime and dirt that made its way into the hoses while unscrewing them gets flushed out?

I just want to be careful as to not put cleaning products where they're not supposed to go.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rafalc
Don't mean to steal the thread but I'm doing the same job right now. I just unbolted everything today, disconnected the hoses and will be taking the valve off the next few days.

There is a load of grime and dirt all over the valve, damper and hoses. What is the best way, best product to clean all the components. Can I dip everything in something to make sure the grime and dirt that made its way into the hoses while unscrewing them gets flushed out?

I just want to be careful as to not put cleaning products where they're not supposed to go.

Thanks
When you're rebuilding the valve, you're going to have to take it completely apart. I had to clean all the old grease and the road grime from mine. I put all the parts in a bucket of water and dawn dish soap. Scrubbed it a little with a toothbrush, rinsed and dried. I used some brake cleaner for the hard to get at places.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Green
The Harbor freight ball joint seperator worked great, no issues. I took me a few tries to find a good spot. I settled with moving the wheels all the way over to the right. It took no time at all to get it off.

I hope the picture helps.
Did that tool damage the seal?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom454
Did that tool damage the seal?
Not sure. The rebuild kit comes with a new seal, so I wasn't worried about it. If you're careful when you put it between the ball and the seal, you should be good. I had to give mine one hit from a hammer to get it in all the way.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great suggestion, Great tool.

Originally Posted by ted13b
I found the perfect solution. I went to Harbor Freight and found a puller labelled for ball joints. Rather than the usual 2 or 3 hook style puller, it consists of a plate with a slot that slides in between the idler arm and valve, and a lever that goes extends over the contol valve stud. A bolt threads in from the bottom. Tighten the bolt and it pops apart with a bang. $20! Awesome! Here's a link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html
At your recommendation, I bought one and used it last weekend...Start cranking the wrench and BANG! the ball stud pops out! It surprised me how quickly everything came apart...I didn't even use liquid wrench or anything like it. NO need. Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67427
At your recommendation, I bought one and used it last weekend...Start cranking the wrench and BANG! the ball stud pops out! It surprised me how quickly everything came apart...I didn't even use liquid wrench or anything like it. NO need. Thanks again!
I scared myself the first time I used it and hit my head on the bottom of my car.
That tool has come in handy several times. I used it when I changing out my wheel bearing hub on my DD. Works great.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 PM
mrl522
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ted13b
I found the perfect solution. I went to Harbor Freight and found a puller labelled for ball joints. Rather than the usual 2 or 3 hook style puller, it consists of a plate with a slot that slides in between the idler arm and valve, and a lever that goes extends over the contol valve stud. A bolt threads in from the bottom. Tighten the bolt and it pops apart with a bang. $20! Awesome! Here's a link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html
This suggestion was a life saver! I could not get the control valve or cylinder free with a pickle fork or hammer, but they were both off in 10 minutes with this joint separator. I only wish I had spent less time trying before I bought it!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Ted and Black C3,

The secret to using a hammer is to use TWO hammers or even a hammer and an axe! You need to rest the second hammer or axe head against one side of the Pitman arm adjacent to the control valve stud and whack the side 180 degrees away with the first hammer.

This action "shocks" the Pitman arm and causes it to let go of the stud and it should just fall out, providing you've removed the nut on the end.

Try it, and come back to me if it doesn't work.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Works the same on the rear shock / control arm mounts.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Control Valve Removal