C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression Ratio limits for Big Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

any HP engine including the BB Chevys compression ratio is only limited by the fuel used....the L72 which is the basis that GM produced with a 11-1 ratio can still manage quite comfortably with 93 pump fuel....... any thing higher will place you into a danger zone by the limited availability of 100+ fuel......but in a pinch pump gas could be used for those over the L72`s ratio {11-1}....just don't hammer it as it will rattle.......
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbocharging, supercharging, nitrous oxide were all developed in WWII to get more performance out of fighter plane motors. They also developed methyl alcohol/water injection to cool engine parts and act as an octane booster. Meth injection is common on turbo set ups and nitrous.

Many people are using this system on NA motors as it will allow the use of lower octane fuel in a higher compression engine. I plan on installing the system on my motor when the the time comes. Most systems are $500 or less.

Meth/water injection uses uses windshield washer fluid and injects it into the cylinder. Octane is increase by 10-15, water acts as a damper on detonation and steam cleans engine components in the process.

Just thought I would throw this out there as it makes a lot of sense to me after studying all of the data. It seemed crazy when I first started reading about it, lol.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

All depends on the cam and dynamic compression ratio

Done right you can run compression
Kemco sells some nice stuff to truly boost your octane.
Adds roughly $10 to a tank of gas give or take.

The stuff at the auto pts store that says it raises it 1-3 pts or whatever. Means it may go from 91 to 91.3 lol not 93or?

Do have aluminum heads but right now run 11.5:1 sbc on Cas crappy 91.
Playing with the advance curve helps.

Quick Reply: Compression Ratio limits for Big Blocks