C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop Out Window

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
mikecamp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Pop Out Window

Can the 72 pop out window and hardware be used on the 73 without major mods to the car.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi m,
Yes.
All the hardware and weatherstrip will work just fine.
I think most of the pieces needed are available new from venders, but a few parts need to be found used.
I'm sure someone will pipe up with what you need to search for.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-25-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There is some info on this in archives, but I put this page up on the site a few years ago for those wanting to convert.

While there are no instructions, it shows everything that is changed over including adding the tray. If you find just the rear window you can still pull this off but you will need the lower guide plates and insulators! *

The upper latch release notch in the upper roof panels can be cut in your old ones or you can order new panels for the 1972 style.

The body section of your car will have the places needed for mounting the lower plates and insulators.. or number 5 and 6 on the lower picture in that file.

Corvette Rear Window Conversion to Pop Out Pictures 1973-1977
http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=198

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 01-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 AM
mikecamp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the info everyone. I am in the process of restoring my 73 and the window is now going to be part of that process.

Thanks Again
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mike,
I'll add one piece of info.
At least in some cars there were 3 small oval-head screws in each upper corner of the weatherstrip.
This certainly helps hold the strip in place while the adhesive dries. I'm not sure how consistently this was done.
You might want to consider it.
Regards,
Alan

Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the difference with the removable glass verses the standard, does the removable
one have a metal frame around it, can it be duplicated easily, and are the two pieces of glass the same size?

Does Anyone have photo's of this glass they can share?

I would like to do this conversion also so the more info the better.
Thanks Mr Wilcox's for sharing the write up.

Riggs
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM
75vetteman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riggs 74
What is the difference with the removable glass verses the standard, does the removable
one have a metal frame around it, can it be duplicated easily, and are the two pieces of glass the same size?

Does Anyone have photo's of this glass they can share?

I would like to do this conversion also so the more info the better.
Thanks Mr Wilcox's for sharing the write up.

Riggs

i've considered this too but am just as lost as this guy
where can i get ALL these parts from? preferably one place all at one time. i've seen places with a little of this and a little of that...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

The glass is in a frame on the removable glass. On a 1973 and newer the glass is larger and glues in place. The openings are the same from 1972-1977 so any car in that range can be converted as long as one can find the parts.

All the parts are not being made new.. that is the other issue. latches you can get, a window frame new is expensive, the glass can be purchased, the weatherstrips are available, the bullets for the lower windshield frame are available, the roof panels can be purchased new, the lower spacers and bezel are not being produced and neither is the tray for storing the glass when removed.

Your best bet is to find a used set up, and then replace what is bad or missing.

Willcox
IMHO
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM
flaco1801
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the conversion on my 74...the plastic frame around the window will not be needed anymore...the existing window CANNOT be used anymore either... i purchased a window with the chrome trim and bottom pins on ebay for 175...you might find it cheaper but then you might be buying a very used and scratched window....i bought the upper window clamps,and the new rubber gasket from dr. rebuild (cant remember the price)... i bought the rear upper trim from wilcox... the existing window will come out fairly easy....the hardest part of the job was glueing the new gasket...if i remember correctly i cut the gasket in the middle top because it was about 1 inch too large... take your time and dry fit the gasket then you will know how much to cut if need be....i started at the bottom used duct tape to keep it in place....then i did the sides and then the top...i forgot the plastic that receive the pin from the window, they are cheap and they attach on the sill behind the cross moulding... when you remove the upper trim you will see where the upper clamps get mounted... i think i secured them with those clips with 1/4 screws....get a nice window and you will get motivated...its a great feature, go fer it...hope this helps...jeff
Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by flaco1801
I did the conversion on my 74...the plastic frame around the window will not be needed anymore...the existing window CANNOT be used anymore either... i purchased a window with the chrome trim and bottom pins on ebay for 175...you might find it cheaper but then you might be buying a very used and scratched window....i bought the upper window clamps,and the new rubber gasket from dr. rebuild (cant remember the price)... i bought the rear upper trim from wilcox... the existing window will come out fairly easy....the hardest part of the job was glueing the new gasket...if i remember correctly i cut the gasket in the middle top because it was about 1 inch too large... take your time and dry fit the gasket then you will know how much to cut if need be....i started at the bottom used duct tape to keep it in place....then i did the sides and then the top...i forgot the plastic that receive the pin from the window, they are cheap and they attach on the sill behind the cross moulding... when you remove the upper trim you will see where the upper clamps get mounted... i think i secured them with those clips with 1/4 screws....get a nice window and you will get motivated...its a great feature, go fer it...hope this helps...jeff
Agree... I love it.. about as close as you'll get to a vert without owning one.

I think these are the only parts available at the moment.

Guide
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=12833

Lower Wedge
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=8808

Rear window Trim
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...=rear%20window

Rear Window Lock 2 req.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=27294

Rear Lock bezels, if you decide to use them.. are 25.00 each restored originals.

Rear window frame. (no glass)
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=27295

Rear window weatherstrip, CRC USA brand...
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=1960

Rear Roof Panels:
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...0roof%20panels

and if you are interested.. I have a used glass assembly. It's tinted and has nice flowers etched on it... The ladies love it...

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Pop Out Window

Quick Reply: Pop Out Window