C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Wiper Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 AM
peterman4551
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Pulled the wiper motor and bench tested it this a.m. It works OK. Remembered to be sure to park it after the test. Reinstalled it. Same clicking noises from the switch and motor.
Observations:

Battery connected, ignition off,wiper switch off - 12 volts on red wire (source of my battery drain?)

Ignition on, switch on (low or high) 12 volts on red, brown and white wire!

Motor clicks when moving switch from off to low and from low to high. If I hold the switch to the right (high speed side) it will continue to click. I am pretty sure the clicks are coming from the motor and not the relay under the console. The relay is new.

Motor clicks when wiper override switch is turned to the left or to the right. ( Bad switch?)Switch has two spade terminals and a brown wire is connected to one of them. PO installed a new harness, so I think the wires are not damaged, but something must be hooked up wrong?.

There is not a blue wire coming out of the harness to attach to the washer motor. Should not effect the wiper motor though. Will be at the computer for 15 minutes then back at lunch time. Computer is 4 miles from house. I do not get high speed internet at the house( this is Northern Vermont). Using the computer at work.

All thoughts on this problem are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
mandingo214
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the motor from the wiper assembly and seeing if it works? Could be the wiper/door assembly is binding it up?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

I believe you have a later ('69-up) override switch. The '68 should only have one spare terminal and the switch itself is grounded.
The override switch you have isn't grounded.

BTW, does your motor have two or three wires coming out of the can?

Battery connected, ignition off,wiper switch off - 12 volts on red wire (source of my battery drain?)

Red wire should always have 12volts.

I'll have to throw the battery in my car to check the rest. I believe all the voltages are listed in Willcox's troubleshooting guide though.
I need to get my car ready for summer anyway so I'll see what I can find out.

Last edited by DZRick; 03-24-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Hey Rick.. How the hell are you... Lets see what he comes back with.....
I'm alright buddy, yourself?

Where's Roger? I know he moved but he's been gone for too long!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 PM
peterman4551
Advanced

Mandigo, I did move the wipers without the motor hooked up and they seemed OK, but did not test them to see if they were free today. I will go back for a second look, disconnect the motor-to be sure.

DZRick I think you hit on something! I thought I must have a grounding problem but did not know where to look.

The switch in my car has two spade terminals. If I run a ground to the second terminal, I am guessing it should ground the switch?? I'll order the '68 switch, but would like to get this resolved. I'll go back and try that. Mud season is ending here and will be able to get on the road for first drive soon.

Everything seems to be in order on the hot side. Except that brown is always hot. Which may have somethihng to do with no ground?? Your thoughts?

Additional info:

Wiper switch wired with two light blue wires on passenger side.

Relay wired with blue wire on top, yellow on bottom.

Key on, switch on: 12 volts red, brown, white and yellow. Blue .7 volts, green .9 volts

Thanks .

Last edited by peterman4551; 03-24-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by peterman4551
Mandigo, I did move the wipers without the motor hooked up and they seemed OK, but did not test them to see if they were free today. I will go back for a second look, disconnect the motor-to be sure.

DZRick I think you hit on something! I thought I must have a grounding problem but did not know where to look.

The switch in my car has two spade terminals. If I run a ground to the second terminal, I am guessing it should ground the switch?? I'll order the '68 switch, but would like to get this resolved. I'll go back and try that. Mud season is ending here and will be able to get on the road for first drive soon.

Everything seems to be in order on the hot side. Except that brown is always hot. Which may have somethihng to do with no ground?? Your thoughts?

Additional info:

Wiper switch wired with two light blue wires on passenger side.

Relay wired with blue wire on top, yellow on bottom.

Key on, switch on: 12 volts red, brown, white and yellow. Blue .7 volts, green .9 volts

Thanks .

Yes, if you run a ground wire to that spade terminal the switch should do it's job.

The brown wire should only be hot if the motor is running.

If you look at this diagram that Willcox (Ernie) made for us, you should be able to determine if your wires are all where they should be.

I'll have to look at Willcox's paperwork to check the voltages you're asking about.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,461 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Did you ever run a new ground to the over-ride switch.... I'm out of town and didn't read all the above..
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM
peterman4551
Advanced

I disconnected the wiper arms from the motor and ran a ground wire to the override switch. The click got louder (stronger?) and I can definately tell it is clicking at the relay, not the motor. Not sure if this means the relay is working, or that I fried it somewhere along the way. Leaving the wiper arms off the motor until I get the motor running. The motor does have three wires coming out fo the can. It is a '68 motor. I'll also remove the limit switch today to be sure both wires are connected-it's new, but ....I installed it.

I will connect the old relay today to see if I get different results.

The only thing I have not replaced is the solenoid on the back of the tach. I can see that the two spade electrical connector is connected to the solenoid. I think the solenoid is there to open and close the wiper door. When I start the car, if I have manually closed the wiper door, the solenoid opens it. I think it's working OK. Has not closed the door, as I have had constant power on the brown wire

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

All advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,461 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Ok.. I'll look at this later.. I'm out of town until Tuesday so time is a factor..
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 AM
peterman4551
Advanced

Thanks Ernie.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 AM
peterman4551
Advanced

Confusion no more! Working wipers are a beautiful thing! Relaced my newly purchased relay with the original GM relay. That was the last piece of the puzzle. Override switch was key too. I must have fried it somehow along the way.

Thanks to everone who gave me direction here! You guys rock!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM
mandingo214
Racer

If I am reading this right, the 12V in the white wire is the problem.

Red should be hot, brown should be hot if yellow is hot (the switch is on), white should not be hot (ground), blue and green are both grounds for controlling motor speed so your low voltage readings are fine.

You bench tested the motor, it worked properly, so the 12V getting to the white wire is not from an internal motor short.

I do not know the solution, but why is your white wire not reading as grounded?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM
mandingo214
Racer

Posted too late, but glad you got it fixed.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:08 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Well, that was too damn easy!

As a favor to me and just to make things fair I'd like you to remove your drivers side dash pad now.

Glad you got it working, really these '68 wipers can be a real pain.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 AM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Confusion no more! Working wipers are a beautiful thing! Relaced my newly purchased relay with the original GM relay. That was the last piece of the puzzle. Override switch was key too. I must have fried it somehow along the way.

Thanks to everone who gave me direction here! You guys rock!
Congrats that is ALWAYS a good feeling when you complete a project. Especially when it's the wipers on a '68

Glad you were able to figure it out in such a short time. Good luck on your next project. :

shmoky
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 AM
peterman4551
Advanced

Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: 1968 Wiper Confusion